IGNORED

R1200RT Headlight Adjustment

Rob F.

My '08 R1200RT's factory headlight adjustment seems a bit on the high side. It blinds some drivers. Has anyone found that they have had to adjust the factory setting or is it correct as is? I don't mind them seeing me coming. wave.gif

aggieengineer

I had the same situation on my '06. I turned the adjustment one turn down (counterclockwise as viewed from rider's perspective). It's much better now and I don't blind oncoming drivers.

I had the same situation on my '06. I turned the adjustment one turn down (counterclockwise as viewed from rider's perspective). It's much better now and I don't blind oncoming drivers.

What adjustment? The only one I found was behind the headlight assembly and it was a level that you pull out.....what do you me one turn counter-clockwise?

What adjustment? The only one I found was behind the headlight assembly and it was a level that you pull out.....what do you me one turn counter-clockwise?

Have you read your "Rider's Manual"? Mine (2007) very clearly describes how to alter the height adjustment.

Rocket_Cowboy

I had to have my '06 RT's lights re-aimed lower. I was blinding truckers as I was passing them, since the dip beam on the right side has a little taller beam pattern for lighting up the side of the road. They might be a little too low now, but I don't get flashed anymore. Need to trying bumping them up ever so slighting to see if I can get some range back without blinding everyone.

Have you read your "Rider's Manual"? Mine (2007) very clearly describes how to alter the height adjustment.

Mine doesn't - and the bike was at the dealer and they told me there is no adjustent for it aside from the flip lever behind the light.

There is adjustment. Right in the middle of the toggle you can feel a plastic nut. If you use a 10mm wrench you can turn it to lower or raise the beam height. Just stick your hand in and feel your way around the toggle lever, you can't miss it. BTW just be gentle with the adjustment nut remembering it just plastic.

My 2007 RT had the same problem when it came out of the dealer, I did the adjustment myself.

See attachment http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/download.php?Number=922557

good luck

cheers

Denis R1200RT thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Here is what my shop told me and it worked on my '08 R12RT. From the driver's view on the LH side there is a 13MM plastic bolt that controls the up/down direction of the headlight. Counterclockwise lowers the lights. There is also a lever surrounding the bolt that will lower the light a pre-set amount when riding two up with luggage if the headlight beam tends to shoot upward into oncoming traffic that you can pull forward. On the RH side, there is a similar bolt (w/o the lever) that control the headlight beam from side to side. Hope this helps. wave.gif

+1 What Denis said.

If you want to be perfect......The formula is.....

Determine the height of the center (hotspot) of the headlamp from the road surface, while you are in riding position (you'll need someone with a tape to take measurements). Then find a level area such as a driveway. Place your bike 20' from your garage door, the height of the projected headllamp beam should be 1-1/2" lower on the door.

Works everytime.

Archived