IGNORED

Questions: 1)Torque Value on Front Caliper Bolts 2) Oil level

RocksforBrains

RocksforBrains

I own a 2005 R1200RT. 1) I am getting ready to install some Motolights that I ordered. They are the caliper mount option. What is the torque value for the front brake caliper bolts as I reinstall the new bolts with the Motolights? 2) I just had my dealer change the engine oil on this same bike. When I checked the oil after I got home, the oil level is at or above the top of the sight glass. The work order states they changed the filter and added 4 qts of BMW synthetic (I requested the synthetic, the bike has 21K miles). Do I need to remove any of this oil? Should I lean the bike to the right a bit to see how high the oil is above the sight glass? I was thinking if it was right at the top of the glass it might be OK. Any suggestions on these two questions?

Thanks,

Kurt

30 NM for the caliper bolts. If you tip the bike slightly to the right & can see the oil line in the sight glass, you'll be fine.

Pat

When dealer overfilled mine, I removed enough oil to bring the level down to the high mark. (Via the oil filter). They had put 1/3 litre too much in. Risk of sooting the engine and to the cat, I think, if left overfilled.

Oil level. The Haynes book I'm reading now shows a picture on the site glass and full is full, If you do an oil change with a filter it will take a full gallon, just like the book says.

When done with riding the most accurate method seems to be leave it on the sidestand for a while then put it on the center stand and look at it.

From half to full in the site glass isn't all that much oil.

• 1 month later...
30 NM for the caliper bolts. If you tip the bike slightly to the right & can see the oil line in the sight glass, you'll be fine.

Pat

I believe that I've seen that elsewhere (IBMW url) as 40 Nm on the brake caliper bolts ... help me out here ...

Archived