IGNORED

crusing speed

LocoOper

I would like to know what is a comfortable crusing speed on the 800. I have a 1100rt and realize that it will not be the same if I decide to switch, but what is reasonable for this bike

I talked to an 800 owner about speed last weekend. She indicated that normal FWY speeds, 70-85 were easy and on club rides over the TON was no problem for the bike. wave.gif

I've ridden the R1100RT alot but was quite used to the R1200RT by the time I test rode the F800ST. I think the 800 is quite a bit faster at low speeds and accelerating. I can't imagine you would LOSE anything except maybe two up with a big load and then only at the high end.

I would like to know what is a comfortable crusing speed on the 800. I have a 1100rt and realize that it will not be the same if I decide to switch, but what is reasonable for this bike

I'm not certain exactly how to answer your question. My wife has an F800ST and I have an R12ST. I ride both bikes and the F800 will go as fast as you want for as long as you want, but 75-80 mph is a piece of cake. It doesn't manage the wind as nicely as the R12, which tends to be a limiting factor. I was surprised how well the F800 handles two-up riding. I don't see a big disparity between it and the R12, accept needing to down shift here and there due to the lower torque (F800 versus R1200). The F800 is a strong motor--and quick too. wave.gif

OK, My 04 R1150RT sweet spot is like at 90MPH. I can ride at that speed all day. eek.gif So is the gearing on the F800ST, also like that ? Or is it down like 75MPH. So where is the so called sweet spot for the 800ST? lurker.gif

My ST has a real sweet spot at 130kmh. It may be possible to cruise faster, but unfortunately traffic conditions around here (enforcement) makes it way too risky to find out.

OK, My 04 R1150RT sweet spot is like at 90MPH. I can ride at that speed all day. eek.gif So is the gearing on the F800ST, also like that ? lurker.gif

Of course not. lmao.gif Your 5th gear is taller than the F800ST's 6th gear.

OK dopeslap.gif So Ben, what is your crusing speed? Yes, on open roads that is!

TNT, you're an engaging guy. tongue.gif My commute includes a stretch of wide open road for about 35 miles (45 each way overall). I typically ride 75-80 on either bike on that stretch. The R12ST is more comfortable a bit faster than that, mainly because it has better wind protection. Above 70 the wind buffeting on the F800 really dominates the ride, although realistically I think the sweet spot for cruising with it is probably around 75. The R12ST isn't geared as tall as your RT, so 90-ish is probably the limit on it for comfortable cruising. It would be interesting to see a top-gear roll on between the 1150RT and the F800ST—the bike really opens up above 6K, yet less powerful, but almost 200 lbs. lighter than an 1150RT. In my opinion the F800 is not an ideal “open road” bike. wave.gif

OK dopeslap.gif So Ben, what is your crusing speed? Yes, on open roads that is!

TNT, you're an engaging guy. tongue.gif My commute includes a stretch of wide open road for about 35 miles (45 each way overall). I typically ride 75-80 on either bike on that stretch. The R12ST is more comfortable a bit faster than that, mainly because it has better wind protection. Above 70 the wind buffeting on the F800 really dominates the ride, although realistically I think the sweet spot for cruising with it is probably around 75. The R12ST isn't geared as tall as your RT, so 90-ish is probably the limit on it for comfortable cruising. It would be interesting to see a top-gear roll on between the 1150RT and the F800ST—the bike really opens up above 6K, yet less powerful, but almost 200 lbs. lighter than an 1150RT. In my opinion the F800 is not an ideal “open road” bike. wave.gif

Thanks for the info Ben! You, have been good help.thumbsup.gifgrin.gif Still looking around here. New bike later on or just lower my RT. I hope to still do a demo on the F800's. Thanks Richard (TNT) wave.gif

Archived