IGNORED

Seat Heater element, comfort/fit and switch choice question

Keeping_It_Real

Keeping_It_Real

Hi, I am a new 1150 RT owner and just got my bike about a month ago. I am in the process of customizing my RT. grin.gif

I am thinking about getting a Rick Mayer seat to replace my stock seat. In that process, I am thinking about buying a heating element and send it to him and have him put it in for me when he is redoing the seat. Anyone know if there is a fit and comfort issue with a seat heater element under the leather? Also anyone know of a good way to wire the seat heater? I would like to have a switch on the handlebar. Is there some way I can piggy back the seat heater on the handlebar heater switch so I can turn them both on at the same time? I am thinking I would have to change the fuse to allow more current going through. Any insight would be appreciated.

Heated seats are a keen idea. Takes some power so you want to be sure your source doesn't get over powered by the demand. The BMW outlets have a 10 amp fuse feeding them. Haven't perused all the schematics but research the Haynes and/or Clymer and the factory books if you can get it. If you have no radio then the fuse for it would be a good source. Switch gear in the form of the authority goodies would be a clean mounting. You'd be best using a relay in the circuit to be safe.

It's a matter of setting up the cleanest, most practical arrangement for your need. Probably have to unmount the body panels and dash and all sorts of other fun stuff you never saw before in your life.

Talking to god in a loud voice is optional in these installations. Invoking other entities is preferred. You may want to keep a small offering like an unneeded piece of metal around to vent upon with a large hammer when the project sours. dopeslap.gif

I've installed the Saddlemen heaters under stock covers with not issues, I suspect in a Mayer would much the same.

You could use the handlebar switch for the grips heat to trip a relay that would then provide power to the seat, but I suspect you will not be satisfied with the results. The seat too hot when the grips are comfortable, or the other way around. Rather I would put it on its own switch. So you can control the seat independently. Or even better, you can use the Gebring or other similar heatroller to give you variable level heat. That's what we have on our GS for both front and back. It's the warm cat's meow!

Keeping_It_Real

Thanks for all the response. I checked with Rick Mayer and he thinks the heating element is usually too stiff and affects the comfort of the seat. Rick did not mention that he is offering heated seat as an option. But Rick seems to think I will be better off getting a heated pants.

Archived