IGNORED

Faulty latch on side panniers

yempaul

The left pannier just won't open up no matter what. Had to press the button and at the same time pry the flapper with a key before it gives in. Brought it to the dealer and they decided to get me a new one. That will take bout 3 weeks to arrive, I'm not complaining tho but will be on a trip next week up north to Thailand and Laos. I'm one pannier-less. Urghhh. frown.giffrown.gif

Do a search on "latch" where you will find numerous work arounds and fixes.

Have fun on your trip. Are you taking the highway through M'sia to Thailand or trunk roads?

I don't know what fixes are out there, but I had one pannier on my ST that had a sticky latch. A little bit of Teflon lubricant spray helped and after a couple of months it stopped sticking altogether. I'm not sure if this is common, but in my case the tolerances were apparently just a bit too tight and needed some usage to begin operating properly.

Do a search on "latch" where you will find numerous work arounds and fixes.

Have fun on your trip. Are you taking the highway through M'sia to Thailand or trunk roads?

Yes I'll be using the Malaysian highway to save time to get into Thailand. The main event is Northern Thailand and Laos so we'll be giving Malaysian trunk roads a miss tho it's more interesting route than the boring highway.You familiar with that route?

Yes but it has been quite some time. Do you still have to leave with at least 3/4 tankful or else a fine?

Yes but that applies for cars only. Not for motorcycles. I make my weekly ritual trip to cross the border to fill up gas as it cost half the price of what i have to pay in my own country. Malaysian government heavily subsidise price of petrol. Save me lots.

Archived