IGNORED

Crossing the water to Cornwall, South England (many pics)

bart_vanreeth

bart_vanreeth

This is actually a trip we made in 2006. But I forgot to post it.

We made a weektrip from Belgium to Cornwall. 5 friends & 3 bikes. It had been a long time since we crossed the chanal. We were excited to explore South-England.

Waiting to take the ferryboat from Dunkerque to Dover

cornwall01.jpg

Fooling around on the boat.

cornwall02.jpg

cornwall03.jpg

Day one

map01.jpg

First lunch

cornwall04.jpg

First pint

cornwall05.jpg

We made a small detour to see Stonehedge. It was a bit of a "landscape bummer" as we noticed that the site is surrounded with an ugly fence. We enjoyed it anyway.

IMG_2310%20(648%20x%20486).jpg

We stayed for the night on a campsite in Shaftesbury, a pittoresque town with impressive views on the english countryside

Gold Hill : the most photographed street in Shaftesbury

dcp_2449.jpg

Exeter cathedral. Our second day, we noticed that there're many - and I mean "many" - warning signs in brittain. smile.gif

dcp_2450.jpg

We cross Dartmoor National Park, which we found beautiful : sheep, horses, cattle grills, prehistoric bridges and a very british dramatic cloudy sky. Very nice!

IMG_2345.jpg

IMG_2339.jpg

map02.jpg

We camped on a nice little campsite in Polruan, a little fishermen's town in the baie of Fowey.

IMG_2350.jpg

In the baie, there was a 3-day regatta. In the distance you can see an army ship.

dcp_2458.jpg

Polruan & Fowey

dcp_2462.jpg

The best way to go from Polruan to Fowey was to take the little ferryboat: only for passengers

IMG_2361.jpg

Having BBq for lunch on the camping.

IMG_2384.jpg

IMG_2385.jpg

Next day we drove to St-Ives.

map03.jpg

IMG_2399%20(648%20x%20486).jpg

dcp_2469.jpg

IMG_2410.jpg

Our evening pub in Polruan. Pubfood isn't too bad in general.

P1010050.jpg

Next day we had a nice drive to Plymouth, Polperro & Looe

map04.jpg

The national dish : fish & chips. Ok it's fast food but what a view!

dcp_2478.jpg

I'm not sure anymore but I think this was the port of Looe

IMG_2423.jpg

Plymouth

IMG_2432.jpg

IMG_2434.jpg

Ferryboat to Plymouth

IMG_2439%20(648%20x%20486).jpg

Polperro

IMG_2442.jpg

IMG_2420.jpg

"The old ferry inn", a nice pub where we had a great diner. Above the bar a warning sign "no children at the bar". Very unusual for us Belgians. Earlier that day we saw a sign at a pub "children & dogs allowed"! crazy.gif

IMG_2417.jpg

Next day we drove back through Dartmoor National Park, couldn't get enough of it. And we ended up in Salisbury where we camped near the horse race track.

Dartmoor

IMG_2461.jpg

IMG_2467.jpg

P1010161.jpg

IMG_2464%20(648%20x%20486).jpg

The last day we struggled through a hudge traffic jam near London. The weather was bad too but in Dover the white cliffs were shining in the evening sun. We had a great trip in England and are planning to return soon.

IMG_2486.jpg

IMG_2494.jpg

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

bart_vanreeth

John, tie-downs are provided by the ship crew. They explain how it's done but we had to do it ourselves. Guess they want to avoid damage claims.

tie-downs are provided by the ship crew. They explain how it's done but we had to do it ourselves. Guess they want to avoid damage claims.

It varies according to the company - Brittany Ferries which operates on the western channel between England and France tie the bike down for you - very competently too!

I normally cross using the Channel Tunnel, then you get to stay with your bike and it only takes 35 minutes!

cornwall04.jpg

It's like a dream!

Good story, brings back memories of my motorcycle trips down that way when I was 18-19 years old, great pubs in St Austell back then...

cornwall04.jpg

It's like a dream!

A nightmare ! wink.gifsmile.gif

You're right! There should be two sausages!

Dartmoor is one of my favourite places on earth. When I am there we always stop at Post Bridge.

PICT2192_Small_Small_2.jpg

PICT2193_Small_Small_2.jpg

Andy thumbsup.gif

When I am there we always stop at Post Bridge

Very nice. Too bad we missed that one..

No you didn't, you just took your picture from the other side...

IMG_2345.jpg

Andy

Archived