IGNORED

BMW Rentals in Hawaii

Perlova

milesandmiles

My wife and I rented bikes on Oahu and Maui. Islandriders in Maui were OK but I think they're only in Kehei an Lahaina while your cruiseship will be in Kahalui. I'd find someone there. Halakala will be mid 40's at the top. Get there before 10am to avoid the midmorning afternoon cloud cover. Sweatshirt, outer windbreaker, gloves ought to do it. 2 hrs to the top. Sparse traffic early too. I wouldn't do the Hana Hwy on a bike. Too much traffic to enjoy the twisties, wet, and slippery in areas. Take a car. I would instead take the bikes around the West Mountains, what a ride. Check out our pics at http://lblasher.myphotoalbum.com/

BigKahuna on Oahu was great but they didn't have beemers when we were there. Don't miss H-3.

Went to Kauai 3 years ago and rented the BMW on the island. (Kauai HD had one F650-GS... http://www.kauaiharley-davidson.com/ ) I think they sold it because it impuned their reputation as a Harley dealer to have a BMW in there... (actually - I think they had trouble getting parts, expense, something...dunno)

Call them and see if they still have it, though. It's a great choice for Kauai, as you can easily get to remote spots like Polihale Beach with no worries (4-5miles of BAD road out there, but WELL worth the drive if on 2 wheel dual-sport; rough in a jeep though)

One piece of advice - DO NOT drop your key on the beach at sunset, especially out there. No cell coverage, 15 miles from nearest person, etc...

(And don't ask how I know this...dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif - That's a whole ride story I need to put in another thread!)

Enjoy your trip! One other piece of info about HI. I don't know why, but seriously - local drivers have a VERY different habit that I've not seen elsewhere. You can be doing 45-60 MPH on the main road and they will pull out from side road in front of you with ZERO clearance. eek.gif It's not a cycle-invisibilty thing, they do it to other cagers too. Very prominant habit I observed on 2 trips on 3 islands over last 3 years. Not criticizing, just thought you should know to be alert!

BTW - Can I come along?? cool.gif

Please post stories & pictures when you get back!

May be stale article, but shows the dealer I rented from and description of Kauai rides:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-rental/hawaii-motorcycle-rental/

Went to Kauai 3 years ago and rented the BMW on the island. (Kauai HD had one F650-GS... http://www.kauaiharley-davidson.com/ ) I think they sold it because it impuned their reputation as a Harley dealer to have a BMW in there... (actually - I think they had trouble getting parts, expense, something...dunno)

Call them and see if they still have it, though. It's a great choice for Kauai, as you can easily get to remote spots like Polihale Beach with no worries (4-5miles of BAD road out there, but WELL worth the drive if on 2 wheel dual-sport; rough in a jeep though)

One piece of advice - DO NOT drop your key on the beach at sunset, especially out there. No cell coverage, 15 miles from nearest person, etc...

(And don't ask how I know this...dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif - That's a whole ride story I need to put in another thread!)

Enjoy your trip! One other piece of info about HI. I don't know why, but seriously - local drivers have a VERY different habit that I've not seen elsewhere. You can be doing 45-60 MPH on the main road and they will pull out from side road in front of you with ZERO clearance. eek.gif It's not a cycle-invisibilty thing, they do it to other cagers too. Very prominant habit I observed on 2 trips on 3 islands over last 3 years. Not criticizing, just thought you should know to be alert!

BTW - Can I come along?? cool.gif

Please post stories & pictures when you get back!

May be stale article, but shows the dealer I rented from and description of Kauai rides:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-rental/hawaii-motorcycle-rental/

Thanks for all of the great information. The Shawn Cochrane article was excellent. I am going to give Kauai HD a call to see what they have. I really am not interested in a Harley but they do have Buell or Dual Sport listed. We will be riding 2 up so I need a bike that we both will be comfortable on.

We are in Kauai and Maui overnight so there are probably a couple of opportunities for riding.

Thanks for posting this thread I will be on a cruise over Christmas then going back to Maui for 5 day's after the cruise. This info is what I needed for my trip also.

Thanks, Mike

I'm sure I don't need to say this, but please be careful of sand and red dirt / slippery mud on the roads on the north shore. It will rain every day in Kauai (at some point) and the red dirt which will be on most corners will get extremely slick. Lived there 13 years and was back this summer and honestly, was glad I was not on a bike. Sorry to be a downer. Just be careful.

Thanks for all of the great information. The Shawn Cochrane article was excellent. I am going to give Kauai HD a call to see what they have. I really am not interested in a Harley but they do have Buell or Dual Sport listed. We will be riding 2 up so I need a bike that we both will be comfortable on.

We are in Kauai and Maui overnight so there are probably a couple of opportunities for riding.

My wife and I have rented Harleys in Maui, from the cruise ship, and in Kauai. Are you going on Norwegian? The Heritage Softtail is a comfortable bike. My wife enjoyed it and she looked great in the leather. thumbsup.gif No where on the Islands are you going to go fast. So, just get a fat bike and enjoy yourself. By the way, I rode to Polihale State Beach on a Harley. IT is not for the faint of heart. Leather and Metal

Archived