IGNORED

Exploring The Maze - a Torrey Tale

Bob Palin

I had been out in this area a few days before (ride tale to come) and discovered it's much bigger than it looks on the map dopeslap.gif

So on this day - 5th November 2007 - I got out of the house a bit earlier to cover some more ground.

Also available on my Blog

Rather than unloading outside the park this time I drove in and found a parking place at Frenchman's cabin, that eliminated some of the less interesting sand road but it did mean driving the truck over some rough rocky road with the CRF in the back. In case you are wondering the CRF is street legal so is allowed to be ridden in the park. It was still 11:30 before I mounted the bike, it's about 130 miles from my house to Frenchman's Cabin. No messing about with viewpoints today, straight off to find the Flint Trail.

The Flint Trail, this is the view from the overlook, the steep part of the trail is on the right side in the shadows and continues out into the valley.

whitespace24x1.gif20071105_sd800_0642_f.jpg

Halfway down the trail, it has come from the left of the picture, zig-zagged around the central buttress and then back to the left. The trail's surface comes in many varieties from solid rock steps to loose rocks to quite deep sand which I really didn't expect to find on a trail this steep. Compared to the zig-zags on the Burr Trail it is twice as steep, half as wide and ten times as rough!

whitespace24x1.gif20071105_sd800_0650_f.jpg

At the bottom, the viewpoint is just to the right of the central buttress on the cliff top, the trail comes from behind the large bump on the left, across the central buttress and back again then across the tallus in front of it and back again.

whitespace24x1.gif20071105_sd800_0651_f.jpg

Out on flat land there was quite a lot of petrified wood.

whitespace24x1.gif20071105_sd800_0666_f.jpg

Of course the flat land tended to end rather abruptly...

whitespace24x1.gif20071105_sd800_0668_f.jpg

There were several minor descents on the way out to the Maze.

whitespace24x1.gif20071105_sd800_0670_f.jpg

Good thing the brakes work, and it's not a KLR.

whitespace24x1.gif20071105_sd800_0681_f.jpg

This panorama was made from 12 full shots in 3 rows, this was my first view of the north arm of Horse Canyon which runs down to the Green River.

whitespace24x1.gifpano_8237_f.jpg

This is another small arm of Horse Canyon.

whitespace24x1.gifpano_sd800_0697_f.jpg

And finally I reached the Maze Overlook.

whitespace24x1.gif20071105_8282_f.jpg

Brimhall Point - in order to bring you the best views possible I jumped across the gap between these two tops, it's only 640 feet to the canyon bottom...

whitespace24x1.gif20071105_8330_f.jpg

The next jump seemed a litle too challenging, maybe if I hadn't hurt my knee!

whitespace24x1.gif20071105_8318_f.jpg

Here's a satellite view of Brimhall Point, you can actually see the rocks I jumped between and the lonely rock.

whitespace24x1.gifbrimhallsat_f.jpg

The Chocolate Drops, looking over the south fork of Horse Canyon.

whitespace24x1.gif20071105_8327_f.jpg

Closer to the drops, strange spire in the background.

whitespace24x1.gif20071105_8363_f.jpg

I haven't been able to find it on the topo map but it surely must have a name.

whitespace24x1.gif20071105_8351_f.jpg

Looking more to the west, there is a hiking trail from here to the canyon bottom.

whitespace24x1.gif20071105_8368_f.jpg

The bottom is actually quite inviting, there was a park ranger out here, he told me that the trail involves some 'hand over hand' climbing, maybe next year. He also told me that it wouldn't be a problem to drive the Tundra out here, he was in a Chevy Silverado, on the other hand I had found his spare wheel in the middle of the trail a few miles back, he didn't even know he had lost it.

whitespace24x1.gif20071105_8369_f.jpg

The topo map makes it quite obvious why this area is called The Maze, Brimhall Point is right at the top with the Chocolate Drops directly south of it.

whitespace24x1.gifmazetopo_f.jpg

Here's a satellite view of the same area

whitespace24x1.gifmazesat_f.jpg

I wandered around Brimhall Point for a while taking lots of pictures but all the turns in a maze look the same.

So it was time to head back, the sun was getting low anyway. This rock face would prove interesting for a long vehicle like a Tundra.

whitespace24x1.gif20071105_sd800_0691_f.jpg

But the sun's not completely down - so I turned off on a side route that looked interesting. It skirted along the north fork of Horse Canyon which came up close to the cliffs up to the next level, at some points the road was cut into the cliff face.

whitespace24x1.gif20071105_sd800_0696_f.jpg

I didn't really know how far this road went and after a while it became obvious there was a lot of country out there, this is as far as I got, looking out on the unexplored territory.

whitespace24x1.gif20071105_sd800_0705_f.jpg

That's the way back.

whitespace24x1.gif20071105_sd800_0706_f.jpg

Bagpipe Butte

whitespace24x1.gif20071105_sd800_0707_f.jpg

By the time I got to the top of the Flint Trail the sun was well low, it was still several miles back to the truck and it was almost dark by the time I got there.

whitespace24x1.gif20071105_sd800_0712_f.jpg

In the dark it took me an hour to cover the first few miles out from Frenchman's Cabin, the road is very rough and I really didn't want to launch the CRF out of the back of the truck, it was after 9pm when I got home, long day but well worth it. There is still a lot of country to explore in the Maze, the intriguingly named Doll's House for instance.

The Route

whitespace24x1.gifroutetopo_f.jpg

whitespace24x1.gifcontexttopo_f.jpg

russell_bynum

Crikey.

Some of those pics look like they couldn't possibly be real. Like...they MUST be the result of some 30-server rendering farm over at Dreamworks or something.

Incredible.

As always great stuff Bob. One could spend months exploring the back country in your area.

This is off topic, but I was interested in the precautions you take when in the back country? Do you have cell service? If cell service is not available do you carry a HF radio? Do you leave a flight plan...so to speak, with someone you know?

Thank you again for sharing the photos.

Lone_RT_rider

Thanks Bob... These pics really make me miss being out west. Maybe someday again when we get one of the kids in college. I think my trips out there are done for a bit.

Shawn

Good thing the brakes work, and it's not a KLR.

20071105_sd800_0681_f.jpg

Now where did you say the trail went from here? lmao.gif

We've never gone into the Maze, it's been on the list for a while though. Horsehoe Canyon is great though, but I don't know if you can ride into it.

Looks like you had a nice day, thanks for putting together a great ride report.

Jan

So, when are you going to open up Killer Dual Sport Adventures? Lets see, pick up a few KLRs & upgrade the brakes of course. grin.gif I hear you have great lodging in town & it looks like your set with brochure material. Sign me up! thumbsup.gif

Pat

Gee, too bad you don't have anything really scenic to work with out there.

By the way, Brimhall is a name from the Mormon branch of my family. My great grandfather, Daniel Kemp married Sarah Amanda Brimhall from Hyrum, Utah in the St George Temple in 1882. Her father, Noah, brought his family out from New York.

Pictures like yours always set me to wondering about the early settlers who came through that country. What must they have thought?

Thanks, Bob

grizzly660fan

Bob, wow! you got me all excited with your pictures and ride tale. I had wondered if you were going to truck in as far as the hans flat ranger station or bike it from the ut24, now I know.

the spire you are trying to identify is called chimney rock, there isa camp site at the base of it if you get a permit you are allowed to camp there. here is a link to the national park map and it shows you the formations in the background of your chocolate drops pictures.

http://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisit/upload/maze_web.pdf

I have camped there and the time I went out to see the harvest scene we entered the maze from chimney rock and then hiked to the base of chocolate drops where harvest scene is located. it was about a four hour hike round trip.

I agree with the ranger you can get your tundra out to maze overlook and back. I took my less capable truck out there with no problem really. here is a picture where I went deep into a wash on purpose. I had just installed bigger than stock tires (315x70x17) and wanted to see where I might rub so I twisted it up to check it out. good news no rub!

truck.jpg

now the section of the maze from teapot rock to just before "the wall" may not be doable in a large size stock truck. its rocky, rough, and requires careful navigation to avoid dragging and denting. I have done it in a small truck (4x4 ford ranger) and its ok, but I am not sure I can get my dodge over there? I will likely try it in the future.

anyway, great pictures, nice tale, and for sure lots of exploring to be had!

thanks!!

Garry

I was interested in the precautions you take when in the back country? Do you have cell service? If cell service is not available do you carry a HF radio? Do you leave a flight plan...so to speak, with someone you know?
I take the fifth. I do carry enough water for a couple of days out there at this time of year (maybe 1 day in the summer), some food, a space blanket, various tools and other stuff that might be useful for a night or two in the wilderness, it weighs a ton! I ride fairly conservatively when I'm by myself too. I wear full dirt armor, I know from experience what a rock in the ribs feels like. Often I don't have a map...

Horseshoe Canyon is great though, but I don't know if you can ride into it.
I was scheduled to hike Horseshoe Canyon two days later but my knee injury put an end to that plan. According to what I've read the roads from the south down to the bottom are still open but the north road is blocked by a rock slide. You can't drive in the canyon bottom.

Just great scenery. Am very jealous!!!!

Calendar?

Bill

Too late for this year's, it's gone to the presses.

So, when are you going to open up Killer Dual Sport Adventures?
I'm asked this all the time but it's not something I'm really interested in doing, just the liability insurance would probably kill it. It would also be highly seasonal. I don't want to make my play area into my work area, I never want to tire of going out there. I might consider luxury packages in the truck, transport from the airport, arrange lodging, food and a back country trip. Just a few a year.

the spire you are trying to identify is called chimney rock
I saw that but it didn't seem to be in the right place and I found another spire in a picture I didn't post that did seem to be in the right place, I'll check again but you're probably right given your experience. (I took about 120 pictures)

I agree with the ranger you can get your tundra out to maze overlook and back. I took my less capable truck out there with no problem really. here is a picture where I went deep into a wash on purpose.
You call that a wash!

Somewhere along the road to the Maze Overlook I found a wash with a 4 foot drop off, I may have strayed off the main route as I don't see how the ranger could have crossed it. It was about a 45 degree slope and as the front wheel hit the sand at the bottom it slipped out, I stuck out my foot instinctively and that's how I hurt my knee. Luckily my foot landed straight and didn't slip but my weight plus the bike's plus the gear even straight down wasn't popular with the knee, which I've injured many times before playing soccer, skiing and motorcycling.

Right now I'm off to Reds Canyon to finish up the truck trip from the other day.

grizzly660fan

ok ok, wash was the wrong term. does drainage fit better? ha ha ha. I am certain that is chimney rock in the photo, as you zoom'd up on it it was clear thats what it is (having seen it and climbed on it).

the other spires out there are lizard rock, standing rock, and the wall. the wall is a monolith and from some angles looks like a spire. I probably have some pictures I can post of those formations if you like?

they do not do much road maintenance in the area, so its possible that the landscape and roads have changed since I was there. the rangers don't always follow the rules we do, so he or she may have by passed the wash you mention?

anyway, you successfully have me yearning to go back out there. I have been there four or five times and have not even scratched the surface of what there is to see there.

Gee, too bad you don't have anything really scenic to work with out there.

By the way, Brimhall is a name from the Mormon branch of my family. My great grandfather, Daniel Kemp married Sarah Amanda Brimhall from Hyrum, Utah in the St George Temple in 1882. Her father, Noah, brought his family out from New York.

Pictures like yours always set me to wondering about the early settlers who came through that country. What must they have thought?

Thanks, Bob

That was a recurring thought of mine riding to Torrey last Spring. I'd like to see an account of what the earliest settlers had to say upon seeing this area for the first time.

Bob, great, as always.

Bob, that is just spectacular. Now that I'm retired, I just got to allocate some time to bring my KLX up there an do (attempt?)a run like that. Thanks for sharing,

john

ok ok, wash was the wrong term. does drainage fit better? ha ha ha.
Rivulet.

Now this is a wash.

20071114_8509.jpg

It felt a lot steeper than it looks, scraped the bottom of the truck on the way in and out and then again on the way back.

Took this today on some unnamed unnumbered trail near the Lucky Strike Mine. The light was incredible today, I haven't done anything to this picture, straight out of the camera, didn't even have a polarizing filter on the lens. Hiked and scrambled up and down the wash for about an hour once the truck couldn't go any further, knee feels great!

russell_bynum

Took this today on some unnamed unnumbered trail near the Lucky Strike Mine. The light was incredible today, I haven't done anything to this picture, straight out of the camera, didn't even have a polarizing filter on the lens. Hiked and scrambled up and down the wash for about an hour once the truck couldn't go any further, knee feels great!

I had five meetings today and I haven't seen the sunlight since 9am. Have I mentioned lately that you suck?

grin.gif

I hope you can take us to your new playground at T15.

Whip

Only if the AC in the truck is working by then. (Caaaaalvin! grin.gif)

What do we care about the truck???

Louise, Chris, and Bill will be riding in it.

And you(Monty) will be leading us(On the CRF).

Whip

The BBC photog crew on the last truck trip didn't need no skeeenkin AC ... lmao.gif

Whip

The BBC photog crew on the last truck trip didn't need no skeeenkin AC ... lmao.gif

How bout a heater????????

204663426-L.jpg

I told you the a/c was weak.... Will send appropriate tool/supplies in advance of the Toyota Tech Day... grin.gif
When Jamie borrowed the truck to take the ailing Mama Hoon home last May he had the system charged and pressure tested, they didn't find a leak. By Fall Torrey (I barely drove it between Torreys) it was out of coolant again, maybe it only leaks at altitude, like the KLR fuel filter which only leaks above 10,500ft! The Tundra has to go in for a recall (replace ball joints) so I'll have them look at it then, perhaps SLC will be high enough for a leak.
perhaps SLC will be high enough for a leak.
I'd better hear my phone ring...

That's right, he's supposed to drop off his resume, huh!?!?

Dennis Andress
perhaps SLC will be high enough for a leak.
I'd better hear my phone ring...

That's right, he's supposed to drop off his resume, huh!?!?

Resume??? He don't need no stinky resume....

Bob, your pictures are amazing and your excursions are out of this world. But let me say something that I feel some may have thought but did not dare to say: YOU ARE NUTS! Riding out to really the middle of nowhere, without anybody even knowing that you have left, with one day of water and some munchies, with no communication with the rest of the world, is pushing it. Even riding conservatively and carefully, it would not be the first time that somebody falls over and breaks a leg. It would be a long painful crawl back where somebody might find you. Sorry, I just had to say what was on my mind!

Calvin  (no socks)

Bob, have them use ultra-violet dye. They will be able to show you where the leak is, proof positive...keep me in the loop...If they can't find the leak... I will.

Great tale and photos, Bob. For those who may not know, this is the famous Mazes in Canyonlands National Park, isn't it? What route did you take to get into the park? I was hoping to go up there Thanksgiving weekend, but it looks like the weather will be turning cold by the end of next week. Canyonlands and Arches are great parks. I did some hiking at both of them several years ago, and have been wanting to go into Canyonlands since I was first there in '79. Maybe we can plan a Moab II trip in the spring. Or maybe even a Moab pre-ride. We won't even discuss Moab I. wink.gif

Just amazing photos!! Thanks for taking the time to post them. I will be going through your neck of the woods next June. Can't wait after seeing these photos!

Keith

Sometimes it seems like Utah must be on another planet.
Sometimes it seems as though the rest of you live on a different planet... smile.gif
I told you the a/c was weak.... Will send appropriate tool/supplies in advance of the Toyota Tech Day... grin.gif
When Jamie borrowed the truck to take the ailing Mama Hoon home last May he had the system charged and pressure tested, they didn't find a leak. By Fall Torrey (I barely drove it between Torreys) it was out of coolant again, maybe it only leaks at altitude, like the KLR fuel filter which only leaks above 10,500ft! The Tundra has to go in for a recall (replace ball joints) so I'll have them look at it then, perhaps SLC will be high enough for a leak.

After Matt's phone is done ringing, stop here if you want to use our spare room.

Sometimes it seems like Utah must be on another planet.

Aha! A new state slogan. "Utah, it's a whole other planet!"

Apologies to Texas. grin.gif

Nice pics and ride tale, Killer. I gotta get me one of them dirt bikes!

grizzly660fan

funny you folks think it looks like another planet, apparently its a good place to train for being on mars.

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/1,1249,650215904,00.html

When the explorers look through the porthole of their Mars habitat, they see a wilderness of red rocks with mineral staining. The view is reminiscent of a harsh southern Utah desert.

In fact, it is a southern Utah desert near Hanksville, Wayne County, a landscape that looks as much like Mars photos radioed by robotic spacecraft as anywhere on Earth.

http://www.marssociety.org/MDRS/

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Dear Bob,

Kindly stop posting pictures of your adventures. It makes me want to pack up the bike and leave home for a while, and now is not the time of year.

As you know, Thanksgiving will be upon us shortly, and then the winter holidaze are shortly behind. Some of us have not been able to find the time to ride as much as we'd like, and you are not helping by making the itch worse than it already is naturally.

My plans for the next ride are becoming increasingly schizophrenic as there are already many riding possibilities on the horizon for next year. With the UnRally coming to the left coast this year, the ample late winter riding in the south-western desert, and the plethora of adventures that await in your neck of the woods, my marriage will undoubtedly suffer (okay, the marriage won't, but my sanity will!)

So please, Bob, please! Spare us the pictures! grin.gif

Bear Hugs,

Tom (Boney) Fogle

BTW, when are we gonna pack up the bikes and have a proper adventure?

Killer, you live a charmed life. These great photos make you the envy of us all. I'm thinking it is time for my RT to have a stable mate so I can have some off road fun myself. Thanks for inspiring me. mmmmmmmm, maybe the new 850GS would be a worthy candidate come March 08.

Barry

Archived