IGNORED

Is the 1150RT that much better than the 1100RT?

lacofdfireman

lacofdfireman

I am currently between bikes at the moment. Sold my 00 R1100RT-P about 6-8 months ago and am looking back into getting another Sport Touring bike. Some of my concerns were I felt the 1100 was very underpowered. I have test ridden the FJR's etc and have really been leaning towards getting the new 08fjr. I really did like the way my RT-P rode though. Very comfy for me for many miles at a time and seemed to be trouble free. I would really like to find another Ex CHP bike if I decide to go the BMW route again. I think the money you save on the police editions allows alot of farkles even though they tend to be higher mileage. BMW's will go 150k miles plus though without major problems from what I understand. So is there a noticeable power difference between the 1100's and the 1150's? Help me out here, I have a big decision to make in the next few months.

Also I plan on using the bike for a Commuter to work at the Fire Station. About 50 miles each way.

So is there a noticeable power difference between the 1100's and the 1150's?

No. 5 hp. Hardly noticeable. The first 5 gears are on the 1150 are spaced a little closer together, perhaps helping on tight twisties, but 6th is a major gap from 5th, and the bike doesn't have enough power to wind it out.

Stan

Like Stan said, you won't notice any power difference btwn 1100 and 1150 RT's. The 1150 is nice for the "overdrive" 6th gear on long highways. If you want more ponies you might try a K1200GT or RS of the last generation ('98 - '03), lots of power and smooth too. The price is getting pretty reasonable on these bikes and they are very bulletproof reliability-wise.

Bob

russell_bynum

BMW's will go 150k miles plus though without major problems from what I understand.

I wouldn't say that at all.

The motor is most likely good for 200K+ without needing any work. The final drive and the transmission is another story. I'm not saying that if you buy one, it'll blow up every 15 minutes, but if reliability is big on your list, I wouldn't consider a BMW.

Overall, BMW reliability is greatly overstated compared to the Japanese brands.

So is there a noticeable power difference between the 1100's and the 1150's?

No.

The 1150 does have better forward lighting, a normal sized rear tire (easier to find replacements), and slightly quicker handling (partially due to the different rear tire).

The downsides are: Servo brakes that require more maintenance than the brakes on your 1100, reduce feedback, and depending on the year they can make the brakes really grabby and hard to modulate. Fully-linked brakes which make it impossible to apply rear brake only for things like bleeding off speed in a turn and low-speed manuvering (note: the police bikes had partially linked brakes, so that's not an issue if you are looking for an R1150RTP, but it will be an issue with a civilian model.) Stupid gear ratios with a 6th gear that is only useful for freeway cruising.

IMO, with the only exception being the improved foward lighting and the rear tire that is a common size used elsewhere in the free world, BMW ruined the RT with the 1150. At least...for what I wanted. They took a great sport touring bike and made it into a light(ish) touring bike. If I were King of the World grin.gif the 1150 would have: the improved forward lighting (it messed up the looks of the bike a little, but the increased functionality is well worth it), the normal rear tire, the same brakes as the 1100, and slightly tighter gear ratios with a 6th gear on top.

I have the 1150RTP and rode the 1100RTP, no noticeable difference in power and 6th gear on the 1150 is a joke never use it. I think you will need to assess what you want the motor for and decide. Take a test ride on the 1200RT big difference, don't care for the newer styling though.

I am currently between bikes at the moment.Also I plan on using the bike for a Commuter to work at the Fire Station. About 50 miles each way.

David:

Generally a car would be much better, maybe something with a turbo. A turbo would give you good passing power. I understand the passing power because I did have a VW diesel. It was slow except it did have instant response when torque was needed. Also, top speed would be good with a turbo.

Tipover Bob

...I felt the 1100 was very underpowered..... I really did like the way my RT-P rode though. Very comfy for me for many miles at a time and seemed to be trouble free. ... BMW's will go 150k miles plus though without major problems from what I understand. So is there a noticeable power difference between the 1100's and the 1150's? Help me out here, I have a big decision to make in the next few months.

The 1150 does feel more powerful than the 1100 but that I believe is down to gearbox ratio's and smootheness of gearchange.

The lights are better.

The seat is better.

The tyre choice is better/

The brakes are better (IMO)

The bike has evolved and looks more current (as if that matters)

The alternator belt is better.

I am not sure I agree that the bike is trouble free for 150k miles. I and many others I know have had there fair share of niggly problems which as an Ex Honda owner I never experienced with those.

You pay your money and make your choice...

I love my 1150RT.

Andy

Put a 3.0 final drive from an R1100R ABS on it and the 6th gear problem goes away, I did it on my R1150RS and it turned it into a different bike, much easier launches in first, especially 2 up and a 6th gear that is useable at legal speeds but not too low so that the engine is too busy. Granted there is still a big gap 5-6 but it is much less of a factor with the different FD. There's also a non OD 6 speed tranny available, at least on the parts fiche, if you want to go to that extreme.

1150 switch gear is better than 1100's and the motronic is maybe better with respect to auto TPS setting but I didn't notice a power difference between the 2 engines.

i agree with much that has been posted, however, an 04 with the twin spark does have some improvements. while not much faster, i found it to be better sorted out in the lower band of the range from 2500-3500 rpms, smoother and quicker. the 6 speed shifts better and allows effortless cruising at 70-90 mph with decent fuel economy, from the reports i have read, those road burner 4 cyls seem to top out at about 40 mpg if you are careful whereas the boxer will get close to 50 if you are not ham handed with the throttle. but if real power is what you want, you won't be happy with a bmw twin, even if improved. follow your heart.

tom collins

04 rt

russell_bynum

The seat is better.

The seat is exactly the same.

I believe (though I'm not 100% sure) that the alternator belt is exactly the same.

Why do you believe these two things are different?

I thought that I would chime in here crazy.gif I owned a 98RT, purchased new and rode for 80k miles. I traded on a new 04RT and currently have 63+k miles on her. Both bikes have been great. The 98 needed a hall sensor after 78k miles, but never gave me any other problems...including surging. Mine ran great and was smooth from day one. (I do all of my own maintenence)

The 04 has been completely trouble free....until today frown.gif I noticed that the right fork seal is leaking. Not really a big issue, $15 in parts and a 1/2 hour to repair.

To answer your question....Both bikes are great travelers. Comfortable all day, luggage space, fun in the corners. I actually think that the early model is a better choice bncry.gif I DO NOT like the overdrive 6th gear. I also do not like the "power brakes". The brakes are way too sensitive IMO and also require bi-annual flushing, which I do myself, but still consider it to be a PITA eek.gif On the plus side, the brakes WILL stop you in a hurry, I just don't like knocking helmets with my wife so often. The lights are a draw. Neither bike has enough candlepower to do the job. Power??? Do you really need more? I get into plenty of trouble with what I have, in fact, I decided that the new K12GT is not the bike for me. I went waaay too fast on a test ride and know that it would not turn out well to have that bike in my stable grin.gifthumbsup.gif

If I knew then what I know now, my R1100RT would still be in my garage.

What I know know is that, if I'd serviced my own bike instead of letting the lunatic that *did* service it, I'd still have it as it only had 95K (Kilometers) on it when I sold it.

The R1150RT I bought to replace it a year after I sold the 1100, is a good bike but it's had problems which I've been forced to fix myself. It now runs well but I had my 1100 fully sorted.

I had Wilburs suspension, an Aeroscreen, Throttlemeister and a swag of other improvements that the 1150 doesn't yet have.

I added a Techlusion unit to the 1150 and it seems to be a fair bit stronger than the 1100 in the midrange. I also prefer the 1150 on long freeway runs (and I do a lot of that).

The higher 6th gear allows the bike to lope along at 75-80mph (120-125Kph) at just under 4000rpm which makes for a fuel efficient and lazy unstressed engine.

For the riding I do now on the Beemer (visiting the folks 6.5 hours away) the R1150RT is the better bike.

I still wish I had my 1100 though. I shouldn't have sold it.

I'll wangle an R1200RT somehow before I retire. That will be the last bike for me.

Linz smile.gif

The seat is better.

It's better if you change it out!

I think the replacement belts are improved/changed, although they are applicable for both bikes.

The seat is better.

I believe (though I'm not 100% sure) that the alternator belt is exactly the same.

Didn't the 04's come stock with the comfort seat? At least that's what they told me when I bought my 04.

russell_bynum

Didn't the 04's come stock with the comfort seat? At least that's what they told me when I bought my 04.

Hmmm...that seems familiar. I wonder when they made the change? I swear I've ridden an 1150 with a stock seat (not the comfort seat).

Hmmm...that seems familiar. I wonder when they made the change? I swear I've ridden an 1150 with a stock seat (not the comfort seat).

On the changeover from 1100 to 1150 the old stock seat became the optional 'low' seat and the old 'Comfort' seat became the stock seat.

Andy

The higher 6th gear allows the bike to lope along at 75-80mph (120-125Kph) at just under 4000rpm which makes for a fuel efficient and lazy unstressed engine.
Except that I've seen more than one post noting better fuel economy in fifth gear rather than sixth at moderate cruise speeds, possibly because the engine is out of its powerband at that that load and rpm. And FWIW too low an rpm for the load does not make for an unstressed engine.
russell_bynum

On the changeover from 1100 to 1150 the old stock seat became the optional 'low' seat and the old 'Comfort' seat became the stock seat.

OK, that makes sense. I knew I'd ridden 1150's with the "stock" seat.

The seat is better.

The seat is different to the 1100RT seat.

It could be bought as an extra for the 1100 as the comfort seat.

The alternator drive belt was changed and became a longer service interval and didn't need replacing at such regular intervals, however, again this item I guess naturally superceeded the original item in BMW's parts catalogue (much the same as the cam chain tensioner).

Andy

I think the replacement belts are improved/changed, although they are applicable for both bikes.

Depends which 1100 you are taking about. Mid-run they changed to a different pulley and belt style that continued into the 1150. Early 1100's can be retrofitted with the newer pulley and belt style.

The seats SUCK on both bikes grin.gif

Honestly, the wife and I couldn't ride 100 miles on the original seat. I switched to a Corbin on the 98 and later opted for A Russell. I will never be able to go back......I guess that I have been spoiled thumbsup.gif

An R1200RT is in my near future as well, probably next year. First I need to save up for a Russell seat and a set of Ohlins.......I would not be happy using the stock equipt. anymore smirk.gif

Whilst I have never experienced anything other than the stock seat (so this statement is made in blissful ignorance), I hated the stock seat but only because the damn thing had me sliding forward into the most uncomfortable position and I was always adjusting my seating position. Worse when I'm wearing the Aerostich..no grip on the seat.

I placed a fitted sheepskin to both seats and used the plastic seat jacks from Sierra BMW on both my bikes. This tilted the front backwards and I can now do 500-600 mile days with no problems.

I imagine that a Corbin or similar would be bliss, but my $20.00 fix works for me...

Linz

Archived