IGNORED

Spline lube...pictures and questions.

GSman

:D Well, I finally pulled apart my 03' 1150GS (54k miles). here are some photos and questions i have on what i found...

1) First thing I noticed was the bottom bolt for the rear shock was bent when I removed it. I was able to get an .018 feeler guage to slide under the bolt when it was rolled so the highside of the bend was up. I'm going to replace this, but could heavy loads have caused this ?

220768931-XL.jpg

2)Got some funk going on with the slave cylinder...I'm assuming I should replace this ?

220768955-L.jpg

220769287-L.jpg

I was able to get to the connector for the gear indicator, and since i don't have ABS, I was able to loosen/lift the battery tray high enough to get the connector out in one piece..

220770089-L.jpg

and...drum roll please....we have the splines...

they look sweet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:clap

other than some rust (there was some very dry white lube present) , it looks like the wear is even and any alignment issues/wear is negligible ...

220769817-L.jpg

220771096-L.jpg

here they are cleaned up some...

220771695-XL.jpg

i have my tube of Honda Molly60 lube, so once I get my shock back from being resprung and my seat fixed, should be good to go...I hope...:huh :D

Good looking splines. About what mine looked like at 70,000 miles, except I didn't have the rust, and had more grease.

Looks like time for a new slave cylinder.

Have you checked your clutch disc yet?

Stan

Hi Stan wave.gif

I haven't checked the clutch yet, but I tend to be easy on clutches so I expect it to be in spec. I just ordered a new slave cylinder, bolt for the shock, and "special bleed screw" for the clutch system. What would you suggest to clean up the clutch splines without contaminating the disc (I don't want to disassemble all that if I don't have to)

Thanks,

Troy

What would you suggest to clean up the clutch splines without contaminating the disc (I don't want to disassemble all that if I don't have to)

I took my clutch apart, I wanted to check wear. It made it a lot easier to clean. I would avoid using anything wetter than a barely damp cloth (or paper towel) for cleaning if you do it on the bike. You really don't want that grease running down onto the disc. Just take your time and do it one tooth at a time.

Stan

On the bent shock bolt, I've seen more than a couple bent, and one actually snapped. I think the bolt is a bit weak. Excessive load could be a factor, but so could just a couple of hard hits in a pot hole or whatever.

While the splines indeed look good to return to service, I'd say it's a good thing you got in there when you did!

It 's so tempting to just keep riding it and saying "it shifts so good, what could be wrong?" , but not knowing what was going on in there was driving me nuts, plusI've decided this bike is my last bike, so it has to last.. thumbsup.gif

What do you figure the gunk was in the slave cylinder? Any posts that have the word "spline", "clutch" or similar of of big interest to me, because I have a tear-down in that area coming up soon. Lucky you on the splines!

thumbsup.gif

With the bent shock bolt, think about it like this:

Ohlins shock ~$750

Front trailing arm ~$600

Rear wheel fork ~$600

Grade 8 bolt ~ $4

Which one do you want to break?

With the bent shock bolt, think about it like this:

Ohlins shock ~$750

Front trailing arm ~$600

Rear wheel fork ~$600

Grade 8 bolt ~ $4

Which one do you want to break?

None wave.gif

Andy

"What do you figure the gunk was in the slave cylinder?"

That's what small quantities of brake fluid looks like when it gets exposed to moisture.

This is another one of the great mysteries of life - why is their slave cylinder so bad...

Archived