IGNORED

accesry fuel tank for 1200RT

sjn7708

any suggestions for an accessory fuel tank for an 1200RT other than tourtank? I did a search, but most not be using the search engine right because I couldnt find anything.

I don't know about any that are specific for the R12RT, but do a google search on "motorcycle auxillary fuel tank" or "cell" and you should get plenty of hits. They are generic fuel cells that you can adapt to any bike.

any suggestions for an accessory fuel tank for an 1200RT other than tourtank? I did a search, but most not be using the search engine right because I couldnt find anything.

Wow you must be doing an IB or something. I couldn't imagine needing an Aux tank for my RT. The 300 I can get out of a tank is plenty for me to be ready to get off.

Rocket_Cowboy

I just installed a 4.1 gallon aux tank from Bill McAvan from BLM-Accessories.com. Very well made tank, and includes all the plumbing components needed to install, plus quick disconnects for easy removal when needed.

Rocket_Cowboy
how much did the BLM tank cost? How long did it take to get? Thanks.

The BLM tank was something like $870 + shipping ... total worked out to be $910 when it was all said any done. You send him your seat pan, he bolts up the mounting bracket, mounts the tank to the bracket, and send all the hose, quick disconnects, and connectors needed to connect the fuel line, overflow line, and ground wire for grounding the tank. Took 3 weeks from the time I mailed my seat pan until I had things sitting back at home.

I'll make a point of snapping some pictures tomorrow. I should have some pics of Jim Owen's bike with the same tank, but I wasn't focusing just on his tank setup.

Rocket_Cowboy

Here's two quick pics of the tank:

222129985-M.jpg

222130079-M.jpg

More pictures can be found here, or if you want to see a particular angle or element, just let me know.

One comment ... these pictures are not of the finished project. In two weeks, I head to Russell to get the rear seat pan recovered, as well making a custom rider seat for me. I still have the original foam and seat cover for the rear pan. The rear seat will match the front seat after everything is recovered.

Any chance you will be disposing of the original rear seat cover - I wish to change my damaged grey cover to black. Am happy to pay postage etc

Many thanks

Rocket_Cowboy
Any chance you will be disposing of the original rear seat cover - I wish to change my damaged grey cover to black. Am happy to pay postage etc

You got it. Since Russell is recovering both front and rear to match, I should have the original rear cover left over. PM me your shipping address, and I'll get it mailed out to you right after the Russell build date (11/29).

Archived