IGNORED

Tech Question and Ride Report Combo

OlGeezer

In an attempt to save precious electrons...

Has anyone fixed a broken speedometer? If so, what did you do? Mine did some sporadic bouncing. Two brief episodes at normal (legal) velocites, one really spastic episode at, shall we say, paralegal velocity. Otherwise, it worked fine.

Ride report:

844 miles today in 14 hours. Thought about riding to Coronado and back for the SS, but opted for pizza and football instead. Wife said she thought she heard me arrive earlier and thought that decided to grab a few extra miles before putting it to bed. I have no idea where she gets these things.

Oh, and the BBQ in Deming was pretty good, too. I'll post some pictures after I recuperate. I'm having trouble focusing on anything closer than 300 yards smirk.gif

Sorry for being so verbose.

Check the speedo cable first, then the drive thingy on the axle.

Check what? That the cable is still there and the drive thingy is also?

ShovelStrokeEd

The cable for binding or fraying, you'll have to remove the center, which is what goes bad.

The drive gear box for proper mounting to the tangs on the wheel, you'll have to remove the wheel for that.

It is rarely the instrument itself.

The cable for binding or fraying, you'll have to remove the center, which is what goes bad.

The drive gear box for proper mounting to the tangs on the wheel, you'll have to remove the wheel for that.

It is rarely the instrument itself.

Pardon me if I'm sounding like I don't know what you are saying, but...

Can't I just observe that the drive gear box (aka the "thingy") is properly installed with the wheel on? What can I see once I remove the wheel that I can't see with the wheel on?

If the instrument seldom goes bad, doesn't it make sense just to replace the cable? Isn't it quite a bit of work to remove the cable and then pull it apart? What is involved with removing the center?

When you say

It is rarely the instrument itself
does that mean that I still shouldn't be suspicious at 113k miles?

Thanks,

ShovelStrokeEd

Well, I suppose you could remove the cable down at te drive box and examine it from there. The inner (business) portion of the cable will slide out of the speedo and then you can examine it and determine if it needs replacement. It is a minor PITA to get it back into the speedo but it can be done.

As to the inspection of the drive box, you can't tell if it has been improperly installed and hence damaged, without taking things apart.

I seem to remember a thread about this from a couple of years ago so you might wish to use the search feature. Maybe someone with more time on their hands can dig it up for you.

I have not had my the cable out on my BMW yet, but on other bikes this is what I would do. Try to isolate the problem part before replacing a cable that might not be bad.

Remove the cable from the back of the speedo.

Pull the center section out. (If the center will not come out, there might be a circular clip at the bottom keeping it from sliding out. Not sure on BMW's)

Inspect it for problems. If it is broken, you will only get a small section or it will snag part way out and feel stretchy.

If the cable is normal, grease the cable and and reinstall it in the housing.

Spin the wheel. if the cable does not spin, the problem is further down next to the wheel. If it does spin, Add a little pressure/resistance with your finger to make sure it continues spinning. If it keeps spinning, hook it back up to the speedo. The problem is higher up.

Spin wheel. If speedo does not move, the speedo is bad.

I have not had my the cable out on my BMW yet, but on other bikes this is what I would do. Try to isolate the problem part before replacing a cable that might not be bad.

Remove the cable from the back of the speedo.

Pull the center section out. (If the center will not come out, there might be a circular clip at the bottom keeping it from sliding out. Not sure on BMW's)

Inspect it for problems. If it is broken, you will only get a small section or it will snag part way out and feel stretchy.

If the cable is normal, grease the cable and and reinstall it in the housing.

Spin the wheel. if the cable does not spin, the problem is further down next to the wheel. If it does spin, Add a little pressure/resistance with your finger to make sure it continues spinning. If it keeps spinning, hook it back up to the speedo. The problem is higher up.

Spin wheel. If speedo does not move, the speedo is bad.

The problem is intermittent/sporatic.

Do a search on 'drive dog' or just 'dog' with my username, with a time span of newer than one year. All trouble shooting knowledge will be revealed.

Found it. Thanks.

Archived