IGNORED

Who else would like a R1200GST or R1200RTA?

motoguy128

My dealer thought I was weird when I posed the question. I test rode the GS and the RT and picked the RT. Mostly because of passenger comfort (pillion was too high on the GS and the seat was too hard) and rider amenities.

But I find myself frequently exploring down gravel roads on my RT and missing that extra bit of adventure. The RT however has a few difficencies for light off-road use in this case.

1) Gearing is too tall, and not enough bottom end. Needs the shorter GS final drive. I like the RT top end however for street use.

2) Too little suspension travel. Needs about 1" more suspension front and rear. Hmmm... when I get aftermarket shocks, is it possible to increase the ride Height 1/2" and increase the suspension travel?

3) Needs a 19" front wheel and more off-road oriented tires. I'm always worried of getting a puncture in the pilot roads from sharp stones.

4) Needs larger fendors and a skid plate to protect from stone ships.

5) Needs stronger fairing mounts and windshield mechanism.

Now compared ot my last dual sport (A KLX250S), the RT does a great job of keeping the dust near the ground. Hardley any dust gets on us. Only the back of the cases and a little near our feet. The suspension also does a fair job doespite it's limited travel. The ASC and ABS let you be a little stupid without losing contorol.

I know I'm crazy. But most of our miles are still on open roads where the RT is best, but I'd still like to have the ability to ride fire roads and gravel roads wiht more control. I'm willing to sacrifice some street handling for it.

My dealer thought I was weird when I posed the question. I test rode the GS and the RT and picked the RT. Mostly because of passenger comfort (pillion was too high on the GS and the seat was too hard) and rider amenities.

But I find myself frequently exploring down gravel roads on my RT and missing that extra bit of adventure. The RT however has a few difficencies for light off-road use in this case.

1) Gearing is too tall, and not enough bottom end. Needs the shorter GS final drive. I like the RT top end however for street use.

2) Too little suspension travel. Needs about 1" more suspension front and rear. Hmmm... when I get aftermarket shocks, is it possible to increase the ride Height 1/2" and increase the suspension travel?

3) Needs a 19" front wheel and more off-road oriented tires. I'm always worried of getting a puncture in the pilot roads from sharp stones.

4) Needs larger fendors and a skid plate to protect from stone ships.

5) Needs stronger fairing mounts and windshield mechanism.

Now compared ot my last dual sport (A KLX250S), the RT does a great job of keeping the dust near the ground. Hardley any dust gets on us. Only the back of the cases and a little near our feet. The suspension also does a fair job doespite it's limited travel. The ASC and ABS let you be a little stupid without losing contorol.

I know I'm crazy. But most of our miles are still on open roads where the RT is best, but I'd still like to have the ability to ride fire roads and gravel roads wiht more control. I'm willing to sacrifice some street handling for it.

Wanna switch rear end drives??? I got an '07 GS Adventure and want the RT gearing. Just a matter of switching rear end assemblys,'bout 1 hour's time! wave.gif

Rocket_Cowboy

If you're crazy, that means I am as well.

I was torn between the GS and the RT as well, and made the decision to go with the RT primarily because of cruise control, and I knew I would do more street riding than dirt riding. That said, I'd done alot more dirt riding on the RT than I have on any previous bike I've owned.

Some more off-road oriented tires, selectable ABS, and a little more suspension travel, and this would be the most well-rounded bike I've seen.

Wanna switch rear end drives??? I got an '07 GS Adventure and want the RT gearing. Just a matter of switching rear end assemblys,'bout 1 hour's time! wave.gif

Tempting. But then again, I'd probably end up wanting a taller highway cruising gear like you shortly after the switch. The GS&GSA have the advantage of milder compression and cams for better pull under 3000RPM. I remember that when test riding a GS. It could lug right off idle without complaint. The RT doesn't seem to like that.

Our luck, just after the switch, 1 of the drives would fail. BMWNA - "what's an RT/ST drive doing on a GS?" Customer - I don't know, it's always been that way.. must have been a mix-up at the factory" . You'd have to swap the internal gears to keep the serial numbers on the drive castings matching the VIN#.

I suppose it would be better to try and find a used GS or GT final drive from a wrecked bike.... or an RT in your case.

The R1200R, imight be the best compromise. IT's a 2.75 which splits the difference between the 2.82 on the GS&GT and the 2.62 on the ST (which I assume is the same as the RT) and RT.

Tempting. But then again, I'd probably end up wanting a taller highway cruising gear like you shortly after the switch. The GS&GSA have the advantage of milder compression and cams for better pull under 3000RPM. I remember that when test riding a GS. It could lug right off idle without complaint. The RT doesn't seem to like that.

Our luck, just after the switch, 1 of the drives would fail. BMWNA - "what's an RT/ST drive doing on a GS?" Customer - I don't know, it's always been that way.. must have been a mix-up at the factory" . You'd have to swap the internal gears to keep the serial numbers on the drive castings matching the VIN#.

I suppose it would be better to try and find a used GS or GT final drive from a wrecked bike.... or an RT in your case.

The R1200R, imight be the best compromise. IT's a 2.75 which splits the difference between the 2.82 on the GS&GT and the 2.62 on the ST (which I assume is the same as the RT) and RT.

I already did the switch on my '05 GS. Made the bike much more managable and upped the gas mileage.

But now, the rear end won't fit the new GS so the hunt begins all over...

Archived