IGNORED

Auxilliary lighting for the R1100RT

RenaissanceMan

RenaissanceMan

Fellow forum members, I'm looking for feedback on _current_ lighting options for my new (used) R11RT. EMP Designs no longer takes orders (though their website is still up) and Ezy-Mount stopped making their R11RT product this year after orders went to zero. Cyclegadgets.com is listing several light and bracket packages. The one I'm looking for feedback on is RBR Manufacturing's light bracket with PIAA 510 Powersport lamps. Anybody using this bracket? I like that it puts the lights out wide compared to mounting solutions that put lights inside the oil cooler inlet or near the fork tubes. Other suggestions?

This weekend I just mounted PIAA 1100X driving lights on the sides of the Tupperware where the BMW roundels go. I removed the roundels and drilled the mounting hole and wire hole in the roundel recess area and the lights look great and are wider than under the air intake. The PIAA wiring harness fit perfetly to both sides of the bike. I ran the both harnesses on the left side of the bike and the longer harness over the front and to the right side.

I'll try and take a photo of the mounted lights tonight to post.

This weekend I just mounted PIAA 1100X driving lights on the sides of the Tupperware where the BMW roundels go.

I have PIAA 1200's mounted in that location on both of my RT's. In both cases I have used #4 hardware to attach them in the theory that the hardware will fail or pull out prior to any tuperware damage. In spite of several tipovers they have survived just fine.

Should I wish to return to stock I just need to remove the lights and glue new Roundels back on the bike.

Stan

This weekend I just mounted PIAA 1100X driving lights on the sides of the Tupperware where the BMW roundels go.

I have PIAA 1200's mounted in that location on both of my RT's. In both cases I have used #4 hardware to attach them in the theory that the hardware will fail or pull out prior to any tuperware damage.

Stan what is #4 hardware? How does it compare to the hardware that comes with the PIAA Kit?

I would think that any metal hardware would be too strong and break the Tupperware and that plastic hardware (ntus and bolts) might not be strong enough although I like the idea of the harware breaking and not the tupperware. I also used a flat washer the same size ( about 1/2") as the Piaa supplied flat washer on the back of the tupperware and on the top of the mounting bracket.

Stan what is #4 hardware?

Screws come in various sizes, #2,4,6,8..... #4 is fairly small.

On the R1100RT I used #4 screws and nuts. I made the mouting holes in the tupperwae bigger than the nuts. For backing I used plastic electrical outlet box covers, cut down a bit. They are fairly soft and I think the #4 nuts will pull right through them without breaking the tupperware.

On the R1150RT I used self tapping #4 screws into the same backing material. This should be even safer.

On both bikes the mounting holes in the tupperware are really slots to allow adjustment of the lights up and down.

Stan

This weekend I just mounted PIAA 1100X driving lights on the sides of the Tupperware where the BMW roundels go. I removed the roundels and drilled the mounting hole and wire hole in the roundel recess area and the lights look great and are wider than under the air intake. The PIAA wiring harness fit perfetly to both sides of the bike. I ran the both harnesses on the left side of the bike and the longer harness over the front and to the right side.

I'll try and take a photo of the mounted lights tonight to post.

Here are some photos.

953988-RT1w_Piaa.jpg.e798bca96852a3419b746c09a6a6d321.jpg

When the lights are illuminated (at night), can you see the lights from your riding position. If so, do you not find this a big distraction. Other wise this looks like a nice fitment - more picies please thumbsup.gif

Andy

When the lights are illuminated (at night), can you see the lights from your riding position. If so, do you not find this a big distraction. Other wise this looks like a nice fitment - more picies please thumbsup.gif

Andy

Andy,

I haven't had a chance to ride the RT at night with the lights on. I've only had them on in my driveway adjusting the beam but I did sit on the bike with the lights on and was not distracted by the lights. Only a ride at night will tell. I'm hoping to do that tonight.

I spoke with another rider who has the lights mounted in the same position and he had no complaints about them while riding.

What other photos would you like to see?

I drilled into the front fender and mounted the lights there. It makes for a nice light triangulation and the lights turn with the handle bars.

My lights are mounted by the oil cooler and give a very good light pattern. I was wondering though if it would be good to have the lights move with the handle bars? This sounds like it could add to the light coverage a lot. I been thinking of adding Moto Lights on the caliper mounts.

When the lights are illuminated (at night), can you see the lights from your riding position.

No. The lights are not visable when sitting upright in the saddle. If you lean way to the side you can see them to check if they are on.

Stan

I have the RBR set up on my r1100rt. They are very well made and do not flex. The lights do not vibrate while riding. They come complete with every thing you need including plastic wrap to cover the oil cooler lines. You will have to remove both side panels to install. I really like them. PM me if you have any questions

Archived