IGNORED

Looking for a windshield with some specific features

eddd

I currently have a stock R1150RT screen on my R1100RT. This shield is quite low; it is only about 19.5 inches tall. I am looking over it at all times unless I put it all the way up and duck down. I use it to keep the wind off my torso, but the top of my helmet is definitely in the wind stream. I like it this way for most riding. I hate looking through a windshield.

Now for the question. There are times when riding in strong winds that I get some pretty good head buffeting. I was wondering about the shields that have the flared top.

1. Do these flared top shields reduce/eliminate head buffeting?

2. Does anyone make one that is “short”, somewhere between 19-23 inches as measured right in the middle of the screen?

3. Do these shields still buffet you from the rear when they are up?

4. Any downsides to this type of screen.

BTW, I don’t like the wide shields, so I’m looking for something that is about the stock width.

Thanks for taking the time to give me some input.

Ed, I changed over to a Z-tech "V STREAM" windshield last year and love it. I can look over the top without the buffeting and can raise it all the way up in the rain. I can't remember the measurements but you can find more info. on Z tech's web site. It is a bit larger than the stock shield.

Most of the information I had found on the V stream said it was for an R1150RT, but it fits perfectly on my R1100RT.

Good luck in your search. wave.gif

1. Do these flared top shields reduce/eliminate head buffeting?

No.

2. Does anyone make one that is “short”, somewhere between 19-23 inches as measured right in the middle of the screen?

Don't know. How tall are you? I'm only 6-2 and I don't see any way a shield that short could be livable.

3. Do these shields still buffet you from the rear when they are up?

Both shields I have, a big CalSci and a +2 Cee Bailey's w/ the flip up top section, both do at full height. The CalSci a little less. I think the shield just gets too vertical.

4. Any downsides to this type of screen.

More noise than a flat screen. Or I should say different noise. My CB is a buffet type low pitch noise, the CalSci a whistle type noise.

You guys w/ Ztechs can you compare them to the CB or the Calsci?

I have an Aeroflow and a +4 1/2 Cee Bailey #2. I had a +3 1/2 Cee Bailey also. Anything you get will be much better than stock as far as wind protection. The difference in buffeting and backpressure is significant. Aeroflow shields are much wider than stock. The typical Cee Bailey is about 2 inches wider than stock. Every shield I have is "flared" at the top. Just make a choice about what brand you want and buy one! Best money you will spend on a RT! The taller the sheild the less buffeting in my experience. I am 6' and going from the +3 1/2 to the +4 1/2 was very noticeable. I may go to the +7. With the taller shield you do not tend to put it up all the way. That keeps the air flowing more smoothly and makes these shields much quieter than stock. Try riding with your stock shield about halfway up and place your head close to it with the top of the helmet out of the airstream. That is the way it can feel/sound with an aftermarket sheild.

Quote:

Don't know. How tall are you? I'm only 6-2 and I don't see any way a shield that short could be livable.

Quote:

I'm just over 5'8", and I have no problem with my short shield on all but the most blustery days. I need winds of 20+ mph before it is any kind of problem.

Like I mentioned, I like a short screen; they provide protection but also afford a great view. If I'm going to be looking through a windshield, I might as well be in the truck. frown.gif

I put a Givi on my RT, it has a little curl at the top and when it is extended the wind goes over the top of my halmet. I'm a tad over 6 ft. It isn't too wide so I still get wind on my arms.

Quote:

Like I mentioned, I like a short screen; they provide protection but also afford a great view. If I'm going to be looking through a windshield, I might as well be in the truck. frown.gif

I don't have to look through my CB or my Calsci. I agree with you there, I don't like to look through a windshield.

I tried to edit my first post here, it didn't take - I think the taller screens reduce buffeting - but it's still there. It's just not gone. I think my CB might be a +3 or bigger, too - I never really measured it, I was just doing some thinking and mine's bigger than +2.

What I've learned w/ the Calsci is that a straight top is smoother than the flared up top on the CB screens. That kicked up edge creates more turbulence than it deflects over your head in my opinion.

I'm such a screen sucker I'd probably by one of those Vstreams if somebody says they're good.

Important, too, to remember that the RT is pretty darn good to begin with - my 98 GS used to hammer me compared to the worst buffeting I ever feel on the RT.

"

You guys w/ Ztechs can you compare them to the CB or the Calsci?"

Sorry, cannot compare to those windshields. I can only say that I love my "V Stream" compared to the stock.

Like I mentioned, I like a short screen; they provide protection but also afford a great view. If I'm going to be looking through a windshield, I might as well be in the truck.

I never look thru my shield, even the = 4 1/2". I should have explained why I like the tall shield better. The more straight up the shield is run the more likely you are to get buffetting. This has to do with the "angle of attack" between the shield and the airstream. The less steep the angle the "smoother" the airflow. You mentioned not wanting a wider shield. The extra 2 inches the CB's start with are there for a reason. I think it helps steer the air away from the helmet area making it quieter. I still get plenty of air on my shoulders. I do notice the Aeroflow gives me a lot less air on my shoulders.

It is real important that I keep any shield narrow. I live in a very hot area, and the narrow screen allows great air flow to the mesh sleeves on my Kilimanjaro Air jacket. If I were to lose that airflow it would get uncomfortable very quickly.

I have owned every shield in the last year and sold my Cal Sci as it was the worst. Currently still have the Aeroflow and it is by far the best windshield I've owned, bar none. Total wind protection, no buffeting. The downside is that it is so good it's not good in very hot weather as you get no wind at all to cool you down, even when the shield is dropped to it's lowest position. I'm 5'11" and I purchased the Cee Baily for more air circulation in the summer so I trade them out when weather dictates.

Bruce

Bruce,

What size Aeroflow did you go with and how are the optics with this shield ? I like to look over a shield, but, inevitably, you still need to look down through it in the twisties.

Roy

I have owned every shield in the last year and sold my Cal Sci as it was the worst. Currently still have the Aeroflow and it is by far the best windshield I've owned, bar none. Total wind protection, no buffeting.

And here is where windshield threads expose personal preferences, differences caused by seating position, bar position, body dimensions, arm length, height, helmet, seat height, etc...

I have ridden a bike with an Aeroflow and I'd rather ride w/ the stock shield. The Calsci is not perfect, but for winter it's the best I've tried of stock, CB, Calsci, and Aeroflow. I do not like the looks of the Calsci, but it is my favorite when it's so cold and I want the wind off me.

You really need to find some windshields to try. Most of us (sadly) have at least one laying around in addition to whatever's on the bike at a given time and as this thread has just proven, it's highly rider dependent which one you're going to like.

I tried many on my '97 RT.

1- Stock- NO

2- Parabellum- Not much better

3- Aeroflow- thin and moved a lot. Added the Saeng "Stealth" edge and that helped a LOT.

4- CB- I think it was the #1 Touring. WONDERFUL!!

Here's how the CB was worked- I took the stock screen and taped cardboard to the top- about 12" high. I then went for a ride. With the screen up about 15%- I was getting good airflow over the back [needed].

I then started cutting the cardboard till I had a height that I could see over pretty good going down the road and could easily see over if all the way down- for the mountain curvy roads.

It turned our that my screen was 7" longer/taller that stock. Now, this sounds like a LOT- but remember- I only had the screen raised about 15%. At 50% I could see through it good in the rain.

Here's my theory---- By having a very long/tall screen and not raising it much:

A] I got good air over the back side

B] I could easily see over it.

C] By having the screen come back much closer to me, the air flow had very little time to collapse in my face/chest. Thus I got very good and clean air- The best I've had on any bike.

For what it's worth- I'm 6'4" but only have a 30" inseam.

I've got a CB +7 (Eurocut) and love it. I'm 5'11, but have a long back and sit high. Even in the full up position I comfortably look over the top.

Wind noise and buffeting is minimal in almost any position, but as noted previously, the slipstream is better when it's in the lower positions.

Airflow was never a problem, even living in southern CA. I think the only time I wanted more airflow was one trip across the desert on the way to Torrey, where the temps reached 117 or so.

One other difference I noted with my use of screens - when using the stock screen, I ride much faster. It's purely psychologcal, but the tall screen gives me more of a 'touring' mindset, while the short screen provokes more footpeg dragging.

You can make your own screens with a bandsaw and a piece of sandpaper. Extend the stock screen to 4" taller and 2" wider and you have a killer screen. I use polycarbonate in ~1/16" to .1" thickness. $40 and much better than the stock screen. Takes about 50 minutes total.

Archived