IGNORED

Trip odometer gets stuck at 99.9 miles

NoHeat

I always reset my trip odometer when I refuel. Usually it works just fine. However, twice in the last 6000 miles it got stuck at 99.9 miles.

That's about a 1/20 rate of incidence.

It happened again today. After about 15 miles of watching it sit at 99.9, I reset it again and watched it accumulate miles. A hundred miles later it turned over to 100.0 and continued upward just fine.

I have no problem with the main odometer or speedometer. Just the trip odometer.

Any ideas?

I have taken apart my fair share of mechanical drive speedos and they are all pretty much the same. Driven by a plastic wheel gears. It is possible in your series of numbers there is a nicked tooth or mucked up tooth when the combination gets to 99.9. Resetting to 0 clears it of course and maybe when they roll around again and it does go past 99.9 the problem gear grabbed just enough to slip by.

Try resetting the odometer to 99999.9 instead of to zero. This forces the whole shebang to roll over to zero after 1/10 mile, keeping the trip odometer useful. Might unbind your problem.

Another simple thing to try is after running the speedo back to 0.00 (by turning it CCW), turn the reset knob SLIGHTLY back clockwise. This seems to take the pressure off the number wheels and ease operation. I had issues with the numbers not aligning properly after reset and this little tactic solved it completely. Much easier than a rebuild.

.....After about 15 miles of watching it sit at 99.9, I reset it again and watched it accumulate miles. A hundred miles later it turned over to 100.0 and continued upward just fine.

Any ideas?

Here's an idea......take me with you the next time you pass 100 miles twice in a day! wink.gif Where are you headed?

Archived