IGNORED

Aerostich combat light boots

johnnash

Anyone out there wear these boots? How would you rate them for comfort & waterproof? Looks like a real quality boot!
I love mine. Extremely comfortable. They took a solid month wearing them off the bike before I would dare wear them on the bike. They are very stiff when new.

They are not sold as waterproof, but, I've neve rhad any leakage. I used a waterproofing spray a local cobbler recommended and use mink oil occasionally. The only downside is that there really isn't any protection in the boot. ie: plates etc. something to consider. great boot!

I bought a pair this past spring. I am very happy with them. I was a bit concerned at first, as they are thick leather and very stiff. I got a couple blisters for the first few weeks. But they're fine now. I commonly forget to change out of 'em when I get to work and end up wearing them all day, so they DO break in. The thing I did was I got the cleated sole. It picks up an holds lots of dirt. So if you have dirt to walk through, get the wedge sole instead. The only (minor) dissapointment I had was that the gusset tongue (inside) is actually vinyl, which I thought was a bit dopey. But still, I love them! They're too hot in the summer, and not warm enough in the winter, so they're a good all-around choice. They have a durable, hand made quality to them, that you won't find elsewhere. I'd buy them again, no question. But I have a feeling they'll be on my feet for a long long time before I'm due for a new pair.

I just received mine this morning. I am a leather gear guy. Full Langlitz Leather pants and jacket all year round. For the past 6 years I have been wearing Danner FT. Lewis combat boots when I ride. Since these are my work boots and since my job entails posting houses as unfit for human habitation, I decided I should stop wearing these home (especially after a syphilitic old man's house was posted after he could no longer control his bowels). These are pretty well made boots. The leather is thick and high quality and the stiching is well done. They are leather lined. They have padding in the shin area but no hard armor any where. They are stiff but no stiffer than my Danners when they were new. They look like they will be a good replacement for my real combat boots. I thought the vinyl inside was the only cheesy piece. These should last a few years. I wouldn't go hiking in them for awhile, but will test them out on the RT tomorrow morning in the rain. I would guess most of the complaints about how hard they are to break in are from folks who have never broke in a pair of quality leather boots or forgot what it was like.

Shane

Shane,could you please let me know about the waterproofness if your riding in the rain tomorrow.Thanks for the tip on the sole of these boots also.Which sole would be better for traction as I have a short inseam.Thanks guys for your input!

They'll be nice and waterproof for a spell right out of the box. After they're broke in they'll start needing some grease etc... I've been using White's boot grease lately. link

Well, for some reason it didn't rain today. Oregon weather for you. The CBTs feel alot more stiff on the bike then walking around. I got the cleated sole as I thought they would give more traction, so far so good. I am guessing these will be fine in the rain, I put a little leather dressing on them last night and it didn't soak in at all so the leather wasn't thirsty yet. If you are looking for more waterproofness you might want to look at the Sidi On Road with Goretex. I have heard nothing but good things about them. It was 36 this morning and my feet were not cold...

Shane

There used to be a leather waterproofing product called Sno Seal, would that be okay on CTB's?

Sno Seal works great to waterproof leather. It helps to warm the leather prior to application to help it soak in. I sometimes warm the boot with a hair dryer after I apply Sno Seal to help it soak in, too.

Archived