IGNORED

I bought my first Beemer, need a bit of insight

Truffleswine

I've been around the block with motorcycles. But I recently bought my first Beemer. I've owned two "Sport Tourers" before (Honda ST1100 and a Buell S3T). My most recent rig was a Triumph Speedmaster, which was the only cruiser I've owned. Sadly, I laid it over when I collided with a stray dog.

Now I've recently bought an 04 BMW R1100S, and I am unfamiliar with these type of machines. Maybe one of the members here can give me some insight about maintinence, must have modifications, quirks, warnings, shop literature, etc.

Yes, I am a "newbie" here, but I am an "old hand" at a forum similar to this. In fact,

Any help you all might offer will be appreciated.

Your new BMW can be best described by your avatar. thumbsup.gif

Keep it clean, maintained, and tuned to enhance your experience!!!

Enjoy!!!

Oh, and welcome to the club.

Whip,

That location is somewhat near to me. In fact, my wife and I just took a 5-day trip to Joseph, Ore. on Labor Day weekend (see pic below)

joseph.jpg

[My wife in the foreground - Joseph in the distance]

Joseph is just a little northeast of John Day in the High Country.

-TS

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Howdy Mark! I'm hoping you'll come out to the UnRally too. We debated having it near Rainier/St Helens but ultimately decided on John Day due to the remoteness and wonderful twisty roads, and lax law enforcement. Have a look at all of the threads posted in the UnRally forum and join us next July 8-11.

Welcome to the gang!

Steve,

I find this somewhat coincidental. After I got the R1100S, my wife, Sheri, and I took our flagship "greenhorn" tour to Joseph, Oregon. We went through that whole area (this was two months ago). We noted high winds around Pendleton (and Dead-Man's Pass high above Pendleton). We also saw many State Troopers (don't want to burst any bubbles). Nevertheless, it is a beautiful area, and a worthwhile place to go.

I live just south from you (I grew up in West Seattle). We'll probably go. From our house in Graham, WA. over Chinook Pass. Then go over Satus Pass, through Goldendale to Stonehenge on the columbia. Then cross over the Columbia and head in to Pendleton, then down to John Day.

It'll be great fun.

-TS

From our house in Graham, WA. over Chinook Pass. Then go over Satus Pass, through Goldendale to Stonehenge on the columbia. Then cross over the Columbia and head in to Pendleton, then down to John Day.

It'll be great fun.

-TS

I would strongly suggest an alternate route from Goldendale, especially on that S. Go south on 97 across the river and take Oregon 206 to Condon. From there either go east on 206 until you intersect 207, then south to US 26 to John Day, or go south on OR 19 to 26. Or you can go through Heppner to hit US 395, which is very nice. 206 and 207 have some of the best twisties I have ever seen. grin.gif

Welcome. I'm a newbie myself and recently purchased a '04 r1100s that could be the twin of your bike. Since it's new to me I haven't got a whole lot to add, but a couple of the guys in my area are regulars on the

Pelican Parts Forum. They have a pretty active community dedicated to the r1100s and r1200s. There are more than a few ways to part with your money on this bike. cool.gif

Welcome, While not a total newbie, I guess I would be a "yearling" having owned my first BMW for 13 months 4 days. You will find any and all information you need right here. I am not a mechanic, but learned how to do the 6 and 12,000 mile service with the help of the great folks here. The BMW community a tight knit group of motorcyclists that will do everything to help a fellow rider, all you have to do is ask.

I bought the BMW service manual, Clymers and Haynes manuals, good to have. Try to attend a local Tech Daze, you will be glad you did...Again WELCOME! thumbsup.gif

Godfather,

Thanks so much for your reassurance. I love to tinker, but my BMW does not lend itself to modification as much as other bikes I've owned have. The reason for this is that the engineering (the way it comes stock) is already at a very high level. It's akin to attempting to improve the "Mona Lisa."

Again, thanks for your kind words.

-TS

OverMyHead,

Wow, that's amazing. You own the exact same bike. I bought mine with 4K on the odometer. It was owned by a man of robust means, who owned two Beemers (a GS also). He liked riding the GS better and decided to let his "S" go. The only modification he had done was a peg lowering kit (see pic).

pegloweringkit.jpg

And the only modification I've done is a new Corbin Saddle w/backrest for the passenger (see pic).

corbinsaddle.jpg

Anyway, I'll have to stay intouch with you.

All the best,

-TS

Believe it or not, the previous owner of my bike installed what appears to be the exact same peg lowering kit. I don't have a Corbin seat though. That would have just been spooky. ooo.gif One thought on the lowered pegs however. I've got big feet (size 12) and it is possible (for me anyway) to rub the toe of my boot on the ground in tight turns. It hasn't been a problem, but I definitely noticed it the first couple of times it happened. grin.gif

Archived