IGNORED

I was hoping never to have a post like this....

Nevets

I was hoping never to have a post like this, but here goes…

I was out for a nice afternoon ride today before the rain and cold sets in, traveling along about 45 or so, in 4th gear, I’m guessing at about 4K RPM. Just over 90K miles on the odo. Started to accelerate down an highway on ramp and all of a sudden, total lack of thrust. Engine continued to run fine. I thought I had somehow gotten between gears, so tried shifting to no avail. I pulled to the side and coasted to a stop. Sounded like some kind of grinding sound coming from “underneath”. Shut the bike off. let it sit for a while (with hope it would magically cure itself). Started it up, and the grinding sound was still present, especially if I let the clutch out. Shut it off.. Cursed myself that I didn’t installed the “automatically repair mechanical malfunction” option…

dopeslap.gif

Another BMW owner (on his brothers Ninja of all things!) stopped to chat and console me. He sat on my bike; I sat on his (scary) bike.

Called Progressive, got great service, a fairly quick lift on a tow truck back to the house (so that’s how they do it). I guess the roadside assistance was worth it after all…

I hate to think that I have just suffered from a sp**ne problem, but it sure sounds like what I’ve been reading about for the last couple years. Obviously, a lot more investigative work will be necessary before I can know what happened.

Well’ I guess I have another thing to add to the list of things to work on the bike this winter… When I sober up, and spend some more time investigating the issue (might be a few weeks), I’ll post some more symptoms. Wish me luck, and I’ll leave you with this thought:

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

thumbsup.gif

Rotten shame! frown.gif As you know, just pull the starter and take a looky. You will know for sure then. Had the dreaded splines ever been lubed? May get lucky and just need a clutch disc. Keep us posted. lurker.gif

Cheers

Steve (01GS)

I was expecting a "biker down" thread. Glad you're okay.

Wish I could give you some advice - no can do - I'm still in the old school 1100 camp. Good luck and keep us posted on what you find.

I saw this post and though crap someone else wrecked and I hate those but I want to make sure everyone is ok. Well I am glad its just the bike and not you that is broken. Stay safe and good luck with the bike.

Steve , Had You recently encountered difficulty shifting esp down shifting from 3rd to 2nd , but in any case pull the starter to find out whether it could be a drive shaft dilemma , that is from the output of the tranny to the final drive , but in any case its better for we that live in the tundra to find these dilemmas now rather than in May . smirk.gif

No noticable problem with the downshifting, but I had been getting a little grind when starting, for a sec after the engine start. I assumed it was the starter sticking and had planned on removing cleaning, etc soon. Guess I was wrong...

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

Amen!

Glad it is a bike issue and not a rider down issue. It does sound like splines. Good luck!

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

I'm gonna have to appropriate that quote for my sig line. Glad it's only a mildly expensive mechanical thing.

Joe Frickin' Friday
I was expecting a "biker down" thread. Glad you're okay.

+1. Quite relieved to hear it's just broken steel and not broken bones.

Let us know what you find when you pull the starter...

Same scare here! Simple money can fix this.

Please try to get detailed pictures of the inside condition of the housing before doing any cleanup. There will be wear debris in there that if we could document it, would maybe allow others to "calibrate" the status of their splines.

russell_bynum

Wish I could give you some advice - no can do - I'm still in the old school 1100 camp.

1150 and 1100 are pretty much the same in this regard.

Sorry to hear about this...it certainly sounds like the non-existant spline failure non-problem that doesn't really happen and is just blown out of proportion on internet websites like this one. dopeslap.gif

I know you have seen and participated first hand at removing a rear end. Piece of cake! smirk.gif

But I was just a "passenger", not the "driver". And you know how hard is to recall "how you got there" when you are the passenger.

BTW, per another thread I posted about obtaining applicable information/directions, I just bought the spline lube DVD.

thumbsup.gif

I know you have seen and participated first hand at removing a rear end. Piece of cake! smirk.gif

But I was just a "passenger", not the "driver". And you know how hard is to recall "how you got there" when you are the passenger.

Sadly I had to take it into the dealer this summer, same thing happened, a leak. It was the rear trans seal that went out and we only replaced the front. I recommend if you do it yourself to replace all seals. I just did not have the desire to do it again myself.

Just over 90K miles on the odo.

So much for the theory that if it's going to fail, it will fail before 40k miles. Sorry about your problem.

peter '73 R75/5, '04 R1150RA (50k miles)

Archived