IGNORED

Clutch "Squeaks" when engaged

SAMSAR

Hi Everyone,

I have an 02 RT with 49K miles.

Started noticing at Fasterpill's tech daze event a few weeks ago that when the clutch is engaged, a steady pulsing squeak is present.

If I let the clutch out when in neutral, the squeak is still there and if I let the clutch out when in gear with no throttle, the squeak remains until I go above 2K RPM and then it goes away until I engage the clutch again.

It's not really a rattle, definately a squeak. Any ideas on what is going on and what to do about it?

Probably not related but I also need to do a starter service as I've been getting the whine on startup since the UnRally... Maybe I should start hosting events again instead of going to them. dopeslap.gif

Thanks,

Paul

Sounds like you have the dreaded "seized throw out bearing noise". There is a little bitty bearing in the clutch slave cylinder piston that turns at engine speed when the clutch is disengaged (lever pulled). When it fails the whole slave cylinder piston turns instead of just the little bearing. Not long and the clutch fluid will leak down the spining push rod onto your clutch disc. Resulting in a slipping clutch. If you catch it soon enough it only requires replacing the cluth slave, continue riding and you will need a clutch job $$. Do a search on "clutch slave cylinder" here and on Advrider. The slave can be done with the swing arm in place, but just looking at it you will say no way!

Good Luck, just another BMW advanced engineering design, they got rid of the out dated clutch cable that never gave any problem.

Cheers

Steve (01 GS)

Thanks Steve...

I went and did the search you recommended so I have a better sense of what is going on.

Unfortunately, I'd have to say I've put anywhere between 500 and 1000 miles on the bike since the noise started occuring... How will I know if the clutch is bad, damaged, ruined, etc.?

Also, "rfw" mentions in one of the threads a way to "clean" the clutch parts without having to buy a new one... Any thoughts here?

Paul

Paul,

My '04 GS was making a similar noise to what you are hearing and it was my slave cylinder bearing. My understanding is the only way this can affect the clutch itself is if the bearing allows clutch fluid to leak out and it runs up the push rod into the clutch housing and contaminates the clutch disc. So if you do not detect any slippage in your clutch and/or see fluid leaking out the bottom of the junction between the engine and transmission I would say all you need to do is replace the slave cylinder. I noticed after the fact (ie, had replaced slave cylinder and was replacing clutch fluid) that the clutch fluid in the reservoir on the handle bars was dark. I have since read that on hydraulic clutches this is an indication of the bearing in the slave cylinder going out.

How will I know if the clutch is bad, damaged, ruined, etc.?
A bad bearing in the clutch slave cylinder in and of itself will not do any damage to the clutch itself. Put a new slave cylinder in it and you'll be good to go!
I noticed after the fact (ie, had replaced slave cylinder and was replacing clutch fluid) that the clutch fluid in the reservoir on the handle bars was dark. I have since read that on hydraulic clutches this is an indication of the bearing in the slave cylinder going out.

Hydraulic ("brake") fluid will darken over time as water is absorbed into the system and the fluid oxidizes. Darkening alone would not necessarily indicate a bearing problem. Does the fluid actually come in contact with the bearing?

Should be a fun project for the new lift that's coming next week.

NICE! I'll have to come visit sooner! Hmmm...what sort of service need can I make up, to justify a visit? dopeslap.gif

I'm supposed to pick up all 750lbs of the new lift on Tuesday at the Fedex distribution center in South Windsor.

Here is what I'm expected to see when it's all set up.

Titan HDML-1500XLT

Of course, you won't be seeing a Harley up there. This will be a BMW only lift. wink.gif

Paul

750 lbs! Wow, that must be some skookum lift. I just returned a chinese built hydralic one that I borrowed from a friend for my clutch job. It does not go up as high as yours does, but high enough that you can work comfortably while seated on a milk crate. This one probably weighed around 250 lbs.

When you get the slave cylinder loose, do NOT squeeze the clutch lever, If you do you will blast the old style "C" clip and piston out and fill the area with old oil.(don't ask how I know this)

When you get the slave cylinder loose, do NOT squeeze the clutch lever, If you do you will blast the old style "C" clip and piston out and fill the area with old oil.(don't ask how I know this)

Thanks for the tip! Usually I'm the one saying "don't ask how I know this" wink.gif

Archived