IGNORED

Play in floating discs?

clive

I have a 1999 R1100RT, police spec, it has a bit of play in the front discs. How much play is "normal" in floating discs? Bike has done 25,000 miles.

Is there a test/specification for this?

Side to side play is normal....rotational play is not. Nothing is going to suddenly fail, however. I replaced mine when the ticking noise became too irritating.

Lots of in and out, i.e. towards the wheel, and away from the wheel, is acceptable. No radial play, i.e. in the direction of rotation forward or back, is acceptable. (I imagine most people accept a tiny bit of rotational without having a cow).

Been wondering how much was acceptable myself. I have what I would consider to be a fair amount of play side to side...about 1/16th of an inch, but less than an 1/8th. No discernable play in the direction of rotation. This is on the fronts...doesn't seem to be any play at all on the rear.

Side to side, I haven't noticed it in the axis of rotation. But when you wheel it about you hear a slight judder - I think it must touch the pads slightly.

If You do in fact ride a 1100 and have any play in your rear your in BFT as the rears arent floating discs . dopeslap.giflmao.gif

Well...according to the decal on the side, it is an 1100...and the rear rotor is tighter than Dick's hatband ooo.gif

And the depth of my ignorance is exposed once again.

Thanks lmao.gif

Archived