IGNORED

Automatic Stability Control

yellojakit

Hello all, can anyone tell me if there are any real world tangible benefits to the ASC feature on bikes like the k1200gt? Does it have any utility around cornering? I'm just not sure if it's worth the extra $. Thanks...

yellojakit

It should not wheelspin on icy roads. Not much utility on corners - it's not quite sophisticated enough yet. Maybe the next generation?

I don't have any experience with BMW's ASC, but I believe it operates much the same as the Traction Control System did on my ST1100 ABS/TCS, which I owned long, long ago. Essentially, the system compares front wheel to rear wheel speed and intervenes when the speeds begin to vary. So, if you begin to wheelie or if your rear tire is spinning, ASC will intervene. It does so by first retarding the timing, then if it still senses a potential control problem, by then cutting the fuel injection. Power is restored as your two wheels return to the same speed.

On my ST11, the system wasn't very noticeable. I did appreciate having it when I was riding in rainy conditions and when I found myself accelerating on slippery pavement (like around toll plazas). Having said that, I haven't found myself having a lot of problems with controlling my motorcycles under those same conditions while riding my subsequent mounts, an R1100RT and an R1200ST.

I think it's a bit of a stretch to call this system anything more than a traction control system. In my mind ASC conjures up a more more extensive and sophisticated system integrating power delivery, braking, and possibly suspension components. Having said that, I'd spend my money on this option in lieu of other things, like ESA.

yup, basically just traction control, and it doesn't actually work until over about 20mph. So half it's usefullness is removed in my opinion.

You can ride like an idiot and grab handfulls of throttle in 2nd or 3rd gear on grvel roads or other slick conditons without much worry. It softly cuts the power to keep the wheel spining hte same as the front.

Archived