IGNORED

Concours 1400

fossil

Well, there we were. Coming out of the Ozark Cafe in Jasper, Arkansas. A shiney new Concours parked next to our ride. I couldn't have planned such an happen chance so I sort of glanced over and said, "Rose Ann look at that. It's a new Concours .... isn't it nice looking. Probably what I'll replace the RT with." She didn't even walk around and barely even glanced before murmuring out of her face mask "yeah looks ok, still not as pretty as the RT". Man, I wished I had ordered dessert afterall. bncry.gif

She didn't even walk around and barely even glanced before murmuring out of her face mask "yeah looks ok, still not as pretty as the RT".

Now there's a smart person! thumbsup.gif

Read this month's MCN ref FJR 1 /ST 2/Concours 3 side by side road test.

Very interesting.

Or Dec 2007's Superbike (UK). 1) K1200GT 2) STX1300 3) GTR1400 4) FJR1300AS.

My favorite quote:

Indeed, if it wasn't for the utterly toilet semi-automatic gearbox, the FJR would probably be sitting comfortably in third place.

Summary on the Connie:

Sadly for Kawasaki, its GTR1400 doesn't quite hit the mark. The idea of a tourer with supersports performance is a great one - and I thoroughly approve of the sentiment. But it's spoiled by the pesky BMW, which not only comprehensively out-stomps it with 200cc less, but manages to do so while packing a military-spec level of touring equipment. The GTR is too peaky, too highly-geared, and carries too much extra mass around with it.

The GTR is too peaky,
Which is interesting given that Motorcyclist's review raved about the Connie's absolutely flat torque curve as a result of the variable valve timing, and even noted that a comparison of the Connie vs. K-GT torque curves showed the K-GT to be very peaky in contrast. Weird.

I rode one Saturday and I was pretty impressed with it. There were a few things that would be a deal breaker for me though.

Footpegs are too high for my 34 inch inseam. I was pretty bunched up.

The windshield was designed for that 5'5" guy apparently as I had to have it all the way up to make the bike comfortable to reach extralegal speeds while test riding.

The bags looked big enough to me if you knew how to pack, and the seat was pretty comfy. I don't know what the mileage is that people are getting with theirs, but the few folks I have talked to seem to be consistently in the 35-38MPG range, giving it kind of short legs IMO. I would think that a sport touring bike should be able to cleanly do 200 or more miles to a tank.

I'd buy a used one though to flog on.... thumbsup.gif

CoarsegoldKid
Read this month's MCN ref FJR 1 /ST 2/Concours 3 side by side road test.

I had a Connie for 15 years. It's more akin to my 12RT than the ST in my opinion. The FJR seems wedged between the two. I don't think they're apples to apples.

The GTR is too peaky,

Not according to the GTR board...those guys are all trying to make it more ZX-14 like (removing the secondary butterflies etc etc)..150+HP at the rear tire on the Dyno.... eek.gif

http://concours.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=36651

http://www.zxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=c98563697bb3622de32e52a6b045b96f&t=5523

Did they mention the 8K price difference between the GT and the GTR....talk about a deal breaker.... dopeslap.gif

Did they mention the 8K price difference between the GT and the GTR
Yup. Said it was absolutely worth the additional cost.

I get it now, you guys mean Motorcycle Consumer News not the British publication MCN.

I was confused as the MCN review was glowing (5 stars) and Motorcycle Consumer News is, well, I better not say my opinion of that publication....carry on...

I get it now, you guys mean Motorcycle Consumer News not the British publication MCN.
No, not me. I'm talking about Superbike in the UK. But I think that's just me. It's the "Grand Tourers hit the North" article mentioned on the cover.

And it's a British magazine, so be warned when clicking on that link or viewing it at a local bookstore that "bikes and babes" go hand in hand...[/MRN warning]

And it's a British magazine, so be warned when clicking on that link or viewing it at a local bookstore that "bikes and babes" go hand in hand...[/MRN warning]

So, what were we saying about the Z1000?

So, what were we saying about the Z1000?
Something about People's Ethical Treatment of Animals I believe. Not sure though.

I thought the (USA) MCN article was pretty fair. And, like your missus, my Queen also believes the RT is STILL the sexiest looking sport-tourer ever built. And given this, together with her most excellent taste in men, who am I to argue grin.gifgrin.gif

So right on cue the new Dec. 2007 Rider has an ST vs. GT vs. GTR. vs. FJR comparo and in this order a winner was crowned: ST, FJR, GTR, GT....and yes price was mentioned (basically for 5K minimum more the bike needs to shift better, better front end and beter brakes, hence last place)....but to further add to the excitement the very next article, by Clem Salvadori, who I often find to be informative on test ride type articles, rides for 3 days on a GTR and (I quote) "the engine is everything but peaky" ....all in all he seemed pretty impressed, but the 200 mile +/- range is a bit of a downer...

Opinions aside it is a good time to be in the market for a sport touring bike...hell I nearly traded my RT for an FJR earlier today but someone beat me to it...I wonder how much of a factor the euro vs. US vs. CA emissions controls are....has to be at least 2 different fuel maps in play on each bike and probably more....

Test road the new Connie several time and bought a R12RT...the Connie is too hot off the engine, they folks at Kawa know this and are retrofitting their demo bikes now. Also, the inseam problem, I am 6'7" and the Connie is disigned for the FAA average person, you know the folks that fit comfortably in a coach class seat.

BMW all the way.

So right on cue the new Dec. 2007 Rider has an ST vs. GT vs. GTR. vs. FJR comparo and in this order a winner was crowned: ST, FJR, GTR, GT....and yes price was mentioned (basically for 5K minimum more the bike needs to shift better, better front end and beter brakes, hence last place)

I was wondering if they were using an '06 model GT for the test since they mentioned the servo brakes in the article...

"and that the linked "servo" assist power brakes were too powerful and difficult to modulate- they also whine noisily when applied"

If they couldn't get an '08 for the test, they should have at least tried to get an '07. Jeez. dopeslap.gif

Opinions aside it is a good time to be in the market for a sport touring bike...

That's about the only thing you can take from the motorcycle comparisons. It's interesting that one magazine will rank the same group of bikes in nearly the exact opposite order as another magazine. One calls a motor peaky, the other says it's flat... One can't stand the ergos, another says they're perfect...

The truth, I suspect, is that all the bikes that are being compared to one another are excellent machines.

The truth, I suspect, is that all the bikes that are being compared to one another are excellent machines.
+1 thumbsup.gif

Now consider the ST is essentially unchanged since it was introduced in '01? (02?), and IMO it's quite a statement that it can finish mid pack among all these new bikes. Pretty impressive indeed! Equally impressive IMO is the fact that the 12RT is competitive with the ST. With the diverse personalities of these bikes one should be able to find a sport tourer which is a very good fit to one's needs and desires.

Archived