IGNORED

DWA symbol on initiation

jsmetcalf

Upon turning key, a new display has appeared in the initiation sequence on my 2005 R1200 GS. The symbol "DWA" and a drawing of what appears to be a flashlight battery, half shaded, appears on the LCD for several seconds and then disappears. No reference to this symbol in the owner's manual. Any experience with this?

Thinking it might be an indication of an impending battery failure, tested the resting voltage of the AGM battery and found it to be 12.21v- possibly indicating that a replacement will be soon needed.

Upon turning key, a new display has appeared in the initiation sequence on my 2005 R1200 GS. The symbol "DWA" and a drawing of what appears to be a flashlight battery, half shaded, appears on the LCD for several seconds and then disappears. No reference to this symbol in the owner's manual. Any experience with this?

Thinking it might be an indication of an impending battery failure, tested the resting voltage of the AGM battery and found it to be 12.21v- possibly indicating that a replacement will be soon needed.

Actually, the alarm system control module, which lives under the rear seat/luggage tray, has its own battery in it. This is the batt. that the message is for, its low. This is in the manual supliment that is for the alarm system. Also, if your batt. (main) is reading 12.21V with no load on it it needs to be charged/tested. A fully charged batt. (AMG) should read 12.86V.

PS the batt. in the dwa module is to power the horn should someone atempt to silence it by disconecting the batt.

Earl

Thank you for your clue as to what might be going on. Actually, my "Supplementary Rider's Manual" for DWA 6 does not contain a reference to this symbol; only battery ref is re replacing battery in remote. Local BMW wrench has no info but says he'll research the subject. I'm waiting.

Sorry rechecked the manual, the info is actually in the main riders manual, under the status indicators section. p32 in the RT manual, not sure of th GS manual, but I know its in there, sold my GSA for the RT. Battery of anti-theft alarm (OE) weak Battery symbol appears on the display, accompanied by the letters DWA. >This message appears only briefly after the pre-ride check completes<

The integral battery in the anti-theft alarm has lost a significant proportion of its original capacity.....

It is amazing how little the staff at dealers know and how much they have never heard of. Its as if they can not read. Very sad really.

Earl

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, my GS manual makes no mention of this and local dealer is unable to find an OE alarm battery listed. Local wrench has never seen a second batter except on some authority models. Do you know if battery is replaceable (without replacing the module) and, if so, how to go about finding a replacement battery (and installing it)? Thanks again.

The batt. is in the DWA module itself, it is located under the rear seat tray, just open it up and see what type of batt. it is should be easy. I would think that this would be a warranty thing though, but seeing that the dealer that you talked with had no clue, maybe try an other in the area.

Archived