IGNORED

What's your gas mileage?

RenaissanceMan

RenaissanceMan

I'm about to buy a R1100RT and was wondering what kind of gas mileage to expect. Fellow forum members and R1100RT riders, what do your gas mileage numbers look like?

Lone_RT_rider

Man... This question is almost as subjective as tire wear. It all depends on your riding conditions, elevation, air pressure in the tires, how far you turn that thing on the right handlebar and so on and so on. Here is my info...

Location: God's country of twisty roads, Greenville, SC at about 900 foot above sea level. I wear the tires out on the sides before I do the middle. Of course, I took my lessons from Mitch and Big-t!

Throttle application: All I can get normally. On the highway I stay about 75 to 80 MPH. In the back roads all bets are off.

Tire pressure: I run 40 in the front, 42 in the back.

Bike: 1999 R1100RT.

Gas mileage off Highway: about 33 to 36 MPG.

Gas mileage on Highway: About 40 to 45. I have seen as high as 50 MPG in Colorado.

Shawn

My 2000 RT would get about 38 mpg commuting in very slow traffic with occasionally really hard acceleration (on ramps and anytime I could see daylight!) On the interstate travelling 85 mph I'd get 42. In lower speed highway riding around 45 mpg.

Like Shawn said....there are a ton of variables to figure in. That being said.

I average right at about 40mpg for commuting my 600 miles per week......50/50 highway/back road......usually traveling well above the posted limits

I actually hit 62mpg while traveling the midwest with a pack of Harleys and Goldwings, but they were torturing me at a low 65-70 mph

2000 R1100RT w/Techlusion & Autolites

Mostly commuting - short distances, playing with the throttle when I can - 38'ish.

Mostly highway - 45'ish.

I get 200 miles to a full tank, which I think works out to around 30mpg. It seems poor to me, but the bike is running so fantastically that I am loath to tweak it and mess it up.

My mileage runs about the same as others...high 40's when riding easy (almost never) and high 30's to low 40's when riding the way I like to. Ether way, enjoy the ride and don't worry about mileage, when the bike gets close to empty, just fill it up!

My 1150RT has averaged 44.7 mpg over the last 5K miles. I ride like an old man driving a pulpwood truck pulling a plow. Best tank I got was 56mpg coming out of the mountains on interstates at 70-75 mph.

'05 R1200RT: Average 38-40mpg around town, 41-48mpg on trips (very dependent on average speed). More in the mountains.

I weigh about 220 lbs. & have been known to keep the side cases pretty full. blush.gif

Run on Avon Storms, 38F/42R

My commute is 2 weekly 250 mile interstate runs at <80mph= 42-44 mpg. I think the bike can do do better, but I fail to control the speed to try to improve the numbers.

Enjoy the ride!

Chris

I must be doing something wrong, because I consistantly average 54-57 mgg on my RED 06 RT. I weigh 143 and treat her like the baby she is. frank

Red's not the fast color, it's the economical color. wave.gif

I must be doing something wrong, because I consistantly average 54-57 mgg on my RED 06 RT. I weigh 143 and treat her like the baby she is. frank

Well....you could start by putting on a 100lbs and staying as close to the redline as possible grin.gif. That seems to be my recipe for 40mpg

Wee strom about 8K RPM 43 Between 6K-8K around 45

Vee strom above 6K around 36 but I balance that on lower front tire wear....

FLSTNI with yummy sounding pipes/breather/PCIII about 42 unless I'm wringing it out hard.

Well....you could start by putting on a 100lbs and staying as close to the redline as possible grin.gif. That seems to be my recipe for 40mpg

What he said!! +1 thumbsup.gif

There's milage, & then there's "Twinky" milage. smile.gif

Rocket_Cowboy

For my 06 R1200RT ...

As of 10/27/07 when the bike turned 1 year old, I had somewhere around 559 gallons of fuel in the bike over the past year, ridden just under 24K miles, and had an average fuel economy of 41.9mpg.

I'm about to buy a R1100RT and was wondering what kind of gas mileage to expect. Fellow forum members and R1100RT riders, what do your gas mileage numbers look like?

My '99 RT averaged about 42mpg riding mostly around northeast Missouri. (Traded it at slightly under 36k miles.) Riding style was comparable to what some folks refer to as "the pace" - usually not a lot of hard accelerating or braking, but brisk and pretty aggressive in the curves.

Elevation made a big difference on that bike. Highest mileage with the same riding style came in the NC mountains - generally over 50mpg. Lowest was on I-70 somewhere between St. Louis and the eastern side of Illinois (Mississippi basin). Generally got 38-39mpg on that stretch, which also included highway speeds and loaded luggage.

Side note: I rarely ran this bike without the side cases because I personally thought it was too ugly without the luggage. As such, my mileage experience had one less variable.

BluesTraveler

My 04' Adventurer averages 43 mpg all the time. Once on a trip through Brice Canyon I got 56 mpg! Rangers there are really on top of things and make sure the 35 mph speed limit is enforced.

On my 07 R1200Rt you can set the computer and check it as you go. At a steady 68 mph I get 51.2 mpg. At a steady 75mph it is 48 and at 85mph it is 44.8.

These numbers are at sea level, flat ground, cruise control, 35 front 41 rear in tires.

<Your mileage may vary.> tongue.gif

On my 07 R1200Rt you can set the computer and check it as you go. At a steady 68 mph I get 51.2 mpg. At a steady 75mph it is 48 and at 85mph it is 44.8.

These numbers are at sea level, flat ground, cruise control, 35 front 41 rear in tires.

<Your mileage may vary.> tongue.gif

thumbsup.gif Similar numbers on the Atlantic coast. The great mileage was an unexpected bonus. I remember reading the PR info on simultaneously improved power & efficiency with the hexheads, but thought it just some marketing hoo-haa. Nope, it's true.

On my 1100 RTP I get about 35 mpg around town. However on the motorway (thats the highway to you across the pond!) I get 49mpg at about 90 mph.

On my 1100 RTP I get about 35 mpg around town. However on the motorway (thats the highway to you across the pond!) I get 49mpg at about 90 mph.
Ah, but that's per Imperial (true) Gallon.

motorway is closer to freeway than highway (pedantic Lutonian here)

Which gallon is the larger? Imperial or American? What are they both in mililitres? Can anyone enlighten me?

P.S. point taken about the motorway thing.

Which gallon is the larger? Imperial or American? What are they both in mililitres? Can anyone enlighten me?

P.S. point taken about the motorway thing.

Both gallons are eight pints - but US pints are 16 fluid ounces whilst real^h^h^h^h imperial pints are 20 fluid ounces. Or, US pints and gallons are 80% of Imperial pints and gallons - or 1 imperial gallon = 4.4546 litres, 1 US gallon = 3.7854 litres.

Andy thumbsup.gif

I believe I get to around 135-140 miles before the fuel light comes on my 07 R1200S. Options are full Remus titanium header, muffler,K&N filter and in central florida if that helps. Stock Conti Attack rear tire lasted right at 2000 miles before smoked which should give you some idea of the riding style.

Archived