IGNORED

Alternator belt alternative

WaywardSon

While at NAPA this morning picking up a headlight bulb I had them cross-reference a part number for an alternator belt that I found in the sticky thread at the top of this forum.

Belt is a Contitech Conti-V Multirib...part #4PK605 which they were able to reference to NAPA part # 25-040233, which he said was a serpentine 4 groove belt. Price was $10.19

Anybody know if that sounds right...or better yet, tried one? I know I can get the correct belt from Chicago BMW for about $15.00 IIRC...so it's not really a matter of money, but if stuck in the middle of nowhere, it might be a lot quicker to get one from NAPA. Any comments?

Goodyear Gatorback 4040245 works as well. I wouldn't try to get more than 10 or 15K out of the Goodyear belt though.

Belt mileage mostly depends on proper tension and a little on riding style (lots of boring interstate highway miles or lots of shifting in the twisties?), but the Goodyear belt just doesn't appear to be quite as robust as OEM.

I've never broken a belt, regardless of manufacturer, but I believe in preventative maintenance, not bike repair.

thumbsup.gif I agree. I needed to replace a belt on a weekend and found a perfect match at NAPA. It cost less than half the price of the new BMW belt, which was still in the mail and far away.

It's been running perfectly for two months now.

but the Goodyear belt just doesn't appear to be quite as robust as OEM.

That is why it will probably outlast the OEM belt. It bends easily over our small pulleys.

Mick

It would be fine. Manufacture aside a quality belt with all the same dimensions is all that is needed.

Besides, Conti probably makes BMW's OEM belt.

The Goodyear belt will have to be a good one to outlast the oem's. I ran one 48k, one 51k, and the current one has 62k on it, likely will change it this winter. I have never broke one yet.

The Goodyear belt will have to be a good one to outlast the oem's. I ran one 48k, one 51k, and the current one has 62k on it, likely will change it this winter. I have never broke one yet.
Been through 7, all OEM, in 126K miles...
Been through 7, all OEM, in 126K miles...

Bob, could you please clarify for me. Did you just change routinely (about every 18k) to have used 7 belts? Did they show signs of deterioration?

Mine was last changed at 59k, currently has 80k, and looks fine. I have one on the way which I will install with my next service (83k) when I also upgrade my HES wiring.

Bob, could you please clarify for me. Did you just change routinely (about every 18k) to have used 7 belts? Did they show signs of deterioration?
They were all either broken or quite seriously damaged, the first one broke after less than 2000 miles, some have lasted as much as 24K. When we've discussed this here before the general opinion is that my pulleys are out of alignment. The current belt has almost 30K on it and looks good, it is slightly looser than the recommended tension which is what I attribute it's longer life to, I think it's not being chewed up by the pulleys.
They were all either broken or quite seriously damaged, the first one broke after less than 2000 miles, some have lasted as much as 24K. When we've discussed this here before the general opinion is that my pulleys are out of alignment. The current belt has almost 30K on it and looks good, it is slightly looser than the recommended tension which is what I attribute it's longer life to, I think it's not being chewed up by the pulleys.

That's a bummer. If it was a little more consistant you could at least make plans and change it accordingly. Hope your current solution is the answer to the problem.

I just replaced my belt with OEM and made a great improvement actually, fantastic improvement. The belt from the dealer was under 15 bucks. I think that's amazing for a BMW part. I thought it would have been the regular high price dealer item. My shop manual states that the belt changed inthe later 90's. It looked alittle beefyer than the original. thumbsup.gif

I just replaced my belt with OEM and made a great improvement actually, fantastic improvement.
What was improved?

Bob,

I had decided not to ask, then you went and did it anyways.

spacecadetdave

The performance. The bike runs much smoother and responses much better. The new belt seemed thicker than the replaced belt. I've got 34,000 miles, at 24,000 it was changed by the dealer from the previous owner. At less the papers show it being changed back then. Most the surging has disappiated

The performance. Most the surging has disappiated

What???

A magical 'performance enhacing surge relieving' drive belt.

Sorry for being a sceptic but I am sure some other factor must have come into play here.

Andy lurker.gif

I changed a belt and neglected to re-tension it at 6K. My Starcom system started shutting down any time I would accelerate hard. The loose belt was slipping and voltage dropped as a result.

Let's say that this bike has a weak battery and that the old belt was glazed or loose and it slipped under hard acceleration ... would/could the drop in voltage cause a momentary diminished spark? I think so. In this scenario, a new belt, properly tensioned, might just be a magic bullet.

I know for a FACT that my RT runs better after I've cleaned the bugs off and polished it up a bit. It also purrs contentedly when hugged occasionally. I am convinced it is alive and like most of us, appreciates any attention it gets.

spacecadetdave

I failed to mention, I got the air compressure out and blew all the trash out of the bike. Maybe I dislodged crap in the throttle area?

Archived