IGNORED

F800ST frame sliders install

Firefight911

Well, since the Adventure is finally up, running, and purring like a Lion after a big meal, it's time to get Jamie's bike some stuff that she has been wanting:

Some GSC Moto Mototechnik Frame Sliders

Here is the kit with the left side laid out:

219206772-L.jpg

Once you pull the fairing off, this is what you see:

219206747-L.jpg

It was nice to see that it only took 8 screws to get the fairing off. They were all the same size but one. That one is shorter and goes where your knee sits on the bike. The bad thing is that the darn turn signal does not disconnect from the fairing unless you un screw it form the fairing. Hellooooooo!!!! A simple connector would suffice.

The two open bolt threads on the engine mount is where the slider brackets attach:

219206796-L.jpg

Top bracket only rests against the frame. The two middle bolts and the lower bolt support the bracket. The lower bolt replaces the stock engine mount bolt.

219206816-L.jpg

219206831-L.jpg

All done!!! Total install took about 20 or so minutes per side once you figure out what you are doing. The included instructions pretty much suck. At least they have the torque values!!

219206855-L.jpg

219206876-L.jpg

Here's a pic of the other side. Same process except that you go through/around the radiator hoses.

219206902-L.jpg

219206923-L.jpg

Here's the slider that goes in the rear wheel hub:

219206944-L.jpg

219206964-L.jpg

Overall, I am quite impressed with the build quality of the kit. Billet aluminum for the bracket. We hope they NEVER get used but they are there just in case!!!

Hey, nice photos.

I had seen photos of another product that was simple enough for the 800S, but required cutting a big circular hole in the fairing for the 800ST. I'm glad to see there's something that doesn't require cutting.

Tell me about sliders... I've seen them and aren't completely sure what they're for. I'm assuming, as the name implies, they'll give the bike something to slide on (other than the bike) in case of an unscheduled get off at speed.

Is there more to them than that?

Nice pictures. When I first looked at the uninstalled parts they looked kind of wimpy, but the completed product looks like it will do the job, not that I ever want to hear that it did. grin.gif

How about the bike itself? Likes?...dislikes? Sure seems like it would be a nice package.

Tell me about sliders... I've seen them and aren't completely sure what they're for. I'm assuming, as the name implies, they'll give the bike something to slide on (other than the bike) in case of an unscheduled get off at speed.

Is there more to them than that?

They are the sacrificial piece in the event of some form of tip over. They can prevent an expensive parts list for a minor tip over and can reduce the expense for a large tipover.

Nice pictures. When I first looked at the uninstalled parts they looked kind of wimpy, but the completed product looks like it will do the job, not that I ever want to hear that it did. grin.gif

How about the bike itself? Likes?...dislikes? Sure seems like it would be a nice package.

The billet aluminum pieces are quite stout and the design doesn't appear to place any extreme off set or angles to get through through the bodywork. This should reduce the lever action in the event of use.

As for the bike, what can I say??? It is a ball. Jamie absolutely loves it. That gives it the newbie rider sign off. She rode a wonderful 250 miler last Sunday with no real complaints. We are going to try a taller shield for her as she states that there is some buffeting about her helmet at speed.

I love riding it. It is clearly two different motorcycles. One bike below 5000 rpm and an entirely different one over 5000 rpm. My only gripe is the soft, undersprung front end.

Brakes are unreal! Very strong. Belt drive is wonderful. Next to no driveline lash and no maintenance. Quite competent in the twisites taking in to account the suspension limitations.

2 thumbs way up on this one!!! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Thanks for sharing this Phil. thumbsup.gif I hope my wife doesn't see this as her GSC frame sliders are still sitting on the dining room table awaiting an installer. tongue.gif I got as far as opening the box. grin.gif

wave.gif

Archived