IGNORED

R1200RT Braking Technique

Rob F.

I sold my '96 R100RT and just purchased an '08 R1200RT. With the new linked braking system, the sales guy says I no longer need to use my rear brake in normal riding situations. With my old bike, I was always used to using the front and some rear. What is the proper braking technique on my new RT? Thanks for the help.

Sure they're linked, but I still brake just like I do on any other bike, mostly front but I still get on the rear as well. Still use the rear for slow speed maneuvers etc.

All your previous braking experience is still good! thumbsup.gif

My understanding is that you get 70% front, 30% rear whether you engage the front actuating lever, the rear actuating lever, or both. I may be wrong, but that's how I understand it.

I still use both because it's important to maintain the habit in case you get on another bike.

Jan

My understanding is that you get 70% front, 30% rear whether you engage the front actuating lever, the rear actuating lever, or both. I may be wrong, but that's how I understand it.

Unless they've changed the '08 linking, the rear lever only actuates the rear brake.

ShovelStrokeEd

Jan,

That is incorrect. If you use front only, the bike will apply some ratio of front to rear braking but, if you apply more rear brake, up to the limits of traction, the bike will happily allow you to determine your own ratio.

I would prefer adding a little additional back brake but I've gotten out of the habit since I've noticed one of the rear brake pads wearing a little faster than the fronts even without adding additional rear braking.

Jan,

That is incorrect. If you use front only, the bike will apply some ratio of front to rear braking but, if you apply more rear brake, up to the limits of traction, the bike will happily allow you to determine your own ratio.

Just checked my manual and it is clear, you are absolutely correct. That's good to know.

Thanks,

Jan

russell_bynum
I sold my '96 R100RT and just purchased an '08 R1200RT. With the new linked braking system, the sales guy says I no longer need to use my rear brake in normal riding situations. With my old bike, I was always used to using the front and some rear. What is the proper braking technique on my new RT? Thanks for the help.

Go find that sales guy and beat the crap out of him.

The proper braking technique on an R1200RT is the same as the proper braking technique on a GSXR1000, a Harley touring bike, and a Honda motocrosser.

Yeah, and use the bike's owners manual to do it with. Then if there's anything left of it, suggest he READ IT. Sales people who don't know about what they're selling - I swear, drives me crazy.

I work in a telcom company and we have sales people who don't know what a T1 is. Or the difference between IP and TDM. They are hired because they had "good closure numbers" when they were selling Buicks. I swear, drives me crazy. [/rant]

ShovelStrokeEd

Billy,

Go ahead and use the pedal, pads are supposed to wear and, for some reason, BMW rear pads seem to wear more than the front. Even at BMW prices, pads are a cheap replacement item every year or couple of years. If one pad seems to be wearing more than the other, simply swap them side to side on the caliper every once in a while. That'll even things out.

Unless they've changed the '08 linking, the rear lever only actuates the rear brake.

Been like that since the '05 was introduced. I only use the rear brake pedal on my ST if I only want rear brake or want something "extra".

The proper braking technique on an R1200RT is the same as the proper braking technique on a GSXR1000, a Harley touring bike, and a Honda motocrosser.

Actually the sales guy was correct. There is NO need to use the rear brake pedal under normal conditions with the partially linked brakes. The EVO system measures load and traction conditions and adjusts the proper ratio of front/rear braking. If you do apply rear brake, you only get the additional braking if you are applying more pressure than the system is already providing and overriding it. Adding just a little rear brake does nothing.

Actually the sales guy was correct. There is NO need to use the rear brake pedal under normal conditions with the partially linked brakes. The EVO system measures load and traction conditions and adjusts the proper ratio of front/rear braking. If you do apply rear brake, you only get the additional braking if you are applying more pressure than the system is already providing and overriding it. Adding just a little rear brake does nothing.

I believe this is correct based on what I can feel under my foot. You have to push fairly hard to add any additional braking to the rear. It's probably not a bad idea to continue ot cover and use the rear brake, but the main adjantage of linked brakes and the reason for them is so that is panic stops, you get the maximum possible braking with only the front lever which is what most good riders will grab if they actually want to stop the bike.

For normal stops, I now started coverign te rear, since in the last 10mph, I normally let off the front brake and ease it to a stop with the rear as I pull in the clutch. The biek is more balanced and can be ridden slower with using hte rear brake only... especailly with a passenger.

Since this bike doesn't have a slipper clutch and has a high compression twin cylinder engine, with amount of braking force already available form engine braking, I can't imagine why you'd want more rear braking.... unless you like wearing out your rear tires really fast. For most stops, I usually don't need to apply any brakes until I'm under 30mph. My passenger doesn't like me stopping much harder than I do when driving a car. I'm a little more aggressive when riding solo.

The EVO system measures load and traction conditions and adjusts the proper ratio of front/rear braking. If you do apply rear brake, you only get the additional braking if you are applying more pressure than the system is already providing and overriding it. Adding just a little rear brake does nothing.

OP is riding an 08 model. Pretty sure that the EVO system was replaced with a non-assisted semi-linked system starting with 07 bikes. In normal braking when I add additional pressure to the pedal, it sure FEELS like I am applying more braking force.

The EVO system measures load and traction conditions and adjusts the proper ratio of front/rear braking. If you do apply rear brake, you only get the additional braking if you are applying more pressure than the system is already providing and overriding it. Adding just a little rear brake does nothing.

OP is riding an 08 model. Pretty sure that the EVO system was replaced with a non-assisted semi-linked system starting with 07 bikes. In normal braking when I add additional pressure to the pedal, it sure FEELS like I am applying more braking force.

BMW's Integral ABS (Anti-Lock Braking System)

BMW Motorrad’s new Integral ABS technology has been developed separately from the previous system and the entire layout of the system has been newly conceived from the ground up.

Capitalizing on progress in technology in both hydraulics and electronics, the development engineers have succeeded in simplifying the architecture of the system while at the same time enhancing its functions to an even higher standard. The result is supreme stopping power and very short stopping distances even without electrical power assistance on the brakes.

BMW Motorrad’s new Integral ABS is no longer based on the plunger principle or, respectively, the ram pressure process used on previous generations, but instead is conceived as a valve system. Carried over from automotive applications, this control concept is now able to ensure a very high standard of all-round comfort and convenience in every respect.

In particular, feedback of brake pressure modulation on the brake lever has been reduced by recent development of the control valves and management to such an extent that it no longer has any kind of adverse effect, thus paving the way for introduction of the new system also in the topmost segment of BMW motorcycles.

The new Integral ABS system applies brake pressure on the front wheel brake solely by means of a hydraulic circuit, thus acting entirely in response to the operating forces applied on the hand lever. This, in turn, ensures a more direct feeling of the brakes particularly important to the sports-minded rider. And now the rider no longer has to get used to any change in control or operation of the brakes when switching over from a motorcycle without ABS.

The new system naturally maintains the proven semi-integral function, that is automatic activation of the rear-wheel brake when operating the front wheel brake. Pressing the foot brake alone, however, the rider, as in the case of a conventional system, activates only the wheel brake at the rear.

As with the previous system, the advantages of this integral brake are ideal brake force distribution on both wheels under all conditions, naturally taking load conditions into account, as well as enhanced control enabling the rider to detect at an early point the risk of the rear wheel lifting off when applying the brakes all-out, and to take appropriate counter-action.

To provide the desired integral function, brake pressure for the rear-wheel circuit is generated and built up by an electronically controlled hydraulic pump. This offers the advantage of pressure management and control completely independent of the front wheel circuit – which is the prerequisite for dynamic, adaptive and, ultimately, consistently ideal brake force distribution to the rear wheel as well as fully independent brake management and control.

In the event of any deficiencies in the hydraulic pump or electrical components, the rear-wheel brake acts hydraulically as with a conventional system, overriding the integral function. This has no effect on the proper operation of the front-wheel brake, the only difference being that the ABS function is no longer operative in the event of such a deficiency.

Hmmm... that would take some getting used to. I use my rear brake for normal street riding, but for really aggressive riding, and on the track, I never use my rear brake. Of course, that's on the gsxr.

Hmmm... that would take some getting used to. I use my rear brake for normal street riding, but for really aggressive riding, and on the track, I never use my rear brake. Of course, that's on the gsxr.
What this perpetual debate boils down to IMHO is this - Do you (the generic "you" here) want to continue to to control the way the bike is braked, or do you want the technology do it for you?

Personally, I want to still be in control of my braking, so despite the fact that the front lever will indeed apply the back brake on my partially linked bike, I'm going to continue to use the rear pedal. Others are of the mindset of use just the front lever and 'let the system sort it out.' I would say they are missing out on some of the finer points of motorcycle control, but each to their own I suppose.

What this perpetual debate boils down to IMHO is this - Do you (the generic "you" here) want to continue to to control the way the bike is braked, or do you want the technology do it for you?

Personally, I want to still be in control of my braking, so despite the fact that the front lever will indeed apply the back brake on my partially linked bike, I'm going to continue to use the rear pedal. Others are of the mindset of use just the front lever and 'let the system sort it out.' I would say they are missing out on some of the finer points of motorcycle control, but each to their own I suppose.

Again, unless you are applying more rear brake than the system is calling for and overriding it, you're not doing anything.

Those finer points of motorcycle control are all in your mind. lmao.gif

Again, unless you are applying more rear brake than the system is calling for and overriding it, you're not doing anything.

Until you hop on your wife's bike which doesn't have ABS or linking. I split my time between the RT, DR and Jodie's Ninja, so whether I'm on the RT or not, I try to brake consistently, using both brakes. Whether I'm actually applying the rear brakes hard enough to supplement the linking is moot.

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV

Well, before all the BMW Fancy-schmancy braking algorithms, I learned to brake most on the front and some on the rear--and that's well ingrained in my muscle memory. Someday I made ride a bike that doesn't have all the BMW control built into it--so I'll continue to brake as I have learned and practiced over the years. That way I won't have to think about it and try to overcome a "Survival Reaction". It's nice that BMW finally unlinked the rear brake pedal, because that's the only one I want in slow speed parking lot maneuvers.

And these folks wonder why their rear pads wear so quickly!

Tom

Lessons learned from listening to that type of advice. You are in a parking lot and you are going to do a low speed turn and you use the front brake and there is a little oil on the ground you know what happen you are on your side quick. So I agree with the others here use the back brake when you are doing slow moves and in wet conditions. Enjoy the new machine and keep the rubber side down

Lessons learned from listening to that type of advice. You are in a parking lot and you are going to do a low speed turn and you use the front brake and there is a little oil on the ground you know what happen you are on your side quick. So I agree with the others here use the back brake when you are doing slow moves and in wet conditions. Enjoy the new machine and keep the rubber side down

And on sand and dirt . . .

Agreed. The other thing that would concern me is what would happen in the event of a rear wheel lockup while the computer in control of the rear brake, should that somehow manage to occur. If the computer releases the brake, and you're cornering or in any kind of lean, that's an instant high-side once traction is regained. (generally, the best thing to do in a rear wheel lockup is keep it locked, and ride the bike to a stop or at least a very slow speed before releasing it.)

russell_bynum

The reason to use both controls is because that's the proper way to stop a motorcycle. Any motorcycle. ALL motorcycles.

The brakes on this particular year/model of BMW might have a bit of technology that makes it unnecessary. But what happens when you ride a bike without the same technology? Or when this technology fails and you have to ride the bike home with conventional brakes?

Exactly. It's like me wife who no longer knows how to cancel a turn signal because in her car it happens automatically (after a delay that is too long IMO). She gets into my car and rides all over with the blinkers on. Makes me completely nuts.dopeslap.gif

Just do it the proper way!

Exactly. It's like me wife who no longer knows how to cancel a turn signal because in her car it happens automatically (after a delay that is too long IMO). She gets into my car and rides all over with the blinkers on. Makes me completely nuts.dopeslap.gif

Just do it the proper way!

A car that doesn't cancel the signal? confused.gif Heck I think my first car, a 1965 Plymouth Fury III had self canceling turn signals. thumbsup.gif

smart as we all are. We learned to walk after crawling. Linked ABS brakes = pull on front only. When on a differnet bike, brake as required. Stick shift or automatic same analogy, ....

h

Archived