IGNORED

Alt. belt part #

Lawman

I've had an alternator belt on order from Chicago BMW for about six weeks now..I ordered part # 12317690571..Not sure where I got that part #. I noticed from another post someone said the correct part number for a R1200RT is #12317681841. Does anyone know for sure which belt is correct?

how long have you been riding to decide to replace the belt?

I had mine start whining at start recently and have definitely less miles than required for a change at 8,000 miles.

Have not looked at the mechanics of it but remember hearing that there is no manual tensioner just an automatic one.

h

how long have you been riding to decide to replace the belt?

I had mine start whining at start recently and have definitely less miles than required for a change at 8,000 miles.

Have not looked at the mechanics of it but remember hearing that there is no manual tensioner just an automatic one.

h

There is no tensioner on the R1200-RT. The belt is elastic enough to fit over the pulleys. BMW has a recommended tool, but I was able to properly install mine using nothing but a socket and rachet to turn the crank.

Replaced my belt at the recommended 36K miles. If you believe you are having belt related issues, it is simple to pull the cover and take a look. Better in your garage than on the road.

Billy,

PM me your info and I'll send you the two I have left over form the ST. I won't be needing them!! grin.gifgrin.gif

<EDIT: Uh, maybe not. Just saw Michael's post on the different part #s for the RT from the ST. If you can verify that there is NOT a differnce, I'll send 'em to ya. If they don't work, I'll get rid of the m elsewhere.EDIT>

I picked up a new alternator belt from my closest dealer which is over 100 miles away. I took off the old belt at 26K miles, and then discovered the new belt was too big. The dealer admitted to accidently giving me the wrong one, but did not have the right one in stock. The old belt still looked new, so I just put it back on and will wait until 36K miles to put it on.

Jay

Archived