IGNORED

Transmssion input spline greeasing.

MattStLouis

Took the 97 r1100rt to a local BMW repair shop near my house. We started talking and I asked him why it was so easy when down shifting from 3-2 to get it stuck between gears. His answer was that the transmission input splines needed to be greased. This of course requires the transmission to be removed. Is this correct?

The bike has about 25,000 miles, if this is true I will sell the bike and keep riding my Harley(I will miss the heated grips and ABS, good cornering without dragging parts), because this is the last straw(head gaskets, speedo cable both need replaced already). I have put 40,000 miles on the Harley and have never touched it, except for oil/tire changes, so the BMW is really starting to seem like a pain in the butt.

Took the 97 r1100rt to a local BMW repair shop near my house. We started talking and I asked him why it was so easy when down shifting from 3-2 to get it stuck between gears. His answer was that the transmission input splines needed to be greased. This of course requires the transmission to be removed. Is this correct?
Yes.

Removing the transmission to grease the input splines is a normal maintenance procedure on these bikes?

I will have to wait till January and put it in the basement for a full disassemble.

Search this forum (also bmwmoa.org/forum) and and you will find many references to transmission input shaft splines, spline lubing, clutch hub alignment and related topics. As far as I know BMW has no service interval for input shaft spline lube. My dealer said that it should be done when downshifting, especially in the lower gears as in 3-2, becomes difficult. My own opinion is that by the time that happens, damage has already been done. With 25k miles your bike is right in the range where this type of problem usually shows up. However, I think that most of the reported problems of this type were on the later 6-speed models and not the 5-speed like you have. Your bike is 10 years old, so maybe the grease on the splines has dried up over the years and is no longer doing its job. A light coat of whatever magic moly grease (Honda moly lube is currently the favorite) is in fashion these days may clear up the problem for another 10 years. On the other hand you may find that the splines on the input shaft to your transmission are chewed up. Hope that isn't the case and good luck.

peter '73 R75/5, '04 R1150RA

Removing the transmission to grease the input splines is a normal maintenance procedure on these bikes?

I will have to wait till January and put it in the basement for a full disassemble.

It is simply not that hard to do. A little tedious, but no big deal. By the way, the grease MUST be 60% Moly (MoS2) grease, NEVER ordinary grease. Buy it at a Honda dealer under the name "Honda Moly60".

and don't use too much or it can get thrown onto the clutch disc lining - I know dis to be twue !

An old boy mechanic years ago told me this rule- "take half as much as you think you need, and use half of that !"

First try a search here for a thread titled spline lube proctology , and give a try lubing thru the starter hole (after removing) it just may save you much work , if you in fact are set on persevering on disassembling look for Teds spline lube DVD , I made way to State College Pa , to oversee his disassembly being I had already done mine .

Thanks for all the help. I wish I had kept the tube of honda moly 60 I sold with the st1100. I put a new front wheel and tire on last night from Ebay, old one was bent causing horrible head shake. I thought the bike was decent before but I am now convinced it is worth keeping, so one way or another the splines will get greased. Plus I just like saying the phrase greasin the splines. Sounds kinda romantic. grin.gif

Archived