IGNORED

Did I miss a meeting?

redryder

Or perhaps throw out a memo without reading it?

I am travelling through Minnesota and stopped in today at one of the MSP dealers to have the oil and transmission fluid changed on the LT. I normally do this myself, but it is blustery and I just didn't feel like doing it so I unbegrudgingly paid the dealer to keep me on my mx schedule.

After the service was done, I asked to talk to the technician to ask him how the trans fluid looked. He said it looked good with only a slight amount of fuzz; but no chunks!! Then he told me that my oil (Mobil 1) was very dark. I told him that was odd because I change the oil every 6K miles (or 2 or 3 months with the riding I've been doing). He looked at me bewildered and asked why I would do a thing like that. I told him that I was sure the schedule for engine oil was 6K. He insisted that BMW required the engine oil to be changed between every 6K service, or every 3K miles. Is this so? I'm very meticulous about reading the owner's manual, service manuals and every other piece of documentation on any vehicle I own. I'm sure, nay, positive that the oil change recommendation interval for both the LT and RT is 6K. Am I mistaken?

BTW, this is not intended to develop into another synth/dino oil debate. I changed the oil every 6K when I ran dino oil and did not change the interval with the synth. FWIW, the RT has 68K miles and the LT has 60K. The RT gets about 20K per year on it and the LT gets about 10K on it.

russell_bynum

The oilheads are supposed to get new oil and filter every 6K.

I can't imagine that the K's would be any different, but I'm sure one of the other K owners here can confirm that.

The oilheads are supposed to get new oil and filter every 6K.

I can't imagine that the K's would be any different, but I'm sure one of the other K owners here can confirm that.

Yep. (03GT & KS)

//MODERATOR//

I know that this question is a bit hard to catagorize, but it really was a question as to the oil change interval for both the RT and LT.

//MODERATOR//

I know that this question is a bit hard to catagorize, but it really was a question as to the oil change interval for both the RT and LT.

Well I really don't know what your gonna do! Maybe list your question in both catagories??

Anyway, if you post this question over on any of the "K" web sites I can send you a pdf for the LT and RS showing that the oil change interval is 6,000mi. This site will not let me attach a pdf document. smile.gif

russell_bynum
//MODERATOR//

Sorry about that. I thought it was primarily about the LT.

Your RT has a 6,000 mile oil change interval, as do all of the oilheads. That's pretty well documented in the various repair manuals, and it's what my dealership recommended when I was having the bike serviced by them.

Also, the fact that your oil "Looked dark" is not an indication of anything. To find out if your oil change intervals are appropriate, just take a sample when you do the next change and send it for analysis. The cost is very reasonable and that will do away with any guessing, old wives tales about the color of your oil, and all the other hocus pocus...you'll see exactly what state your oil is in, and what contaminants are in there as well. (Which gives you a snapshot on the overall health of your engine.)

russell_bynum
Russell,

That sounds very reasonable. Who would one send the oil sample to for analysis?

lurker.gif

Do I gotta do everything for you goons? grin.gif

Google is your friend.

Blackstone labs seems to be a fairly popular one that I've seen used here before.

I seem to recall that's also where Dad would send the oil from his Cessna as well.

An alternative method is to go to any auto parts store that sells Wix filters and purchase an oil analysis kit for $15-$19 and follow the instructions included. The testing is included in the price. Wix part number 24077, Napa # 4077.

Ken

I live in the area and curious which dealer we're talking about. I try to do as much maintenance as I can (oil changes every 6K, BTW) because I don't have much confidence in dealers in general.

You can PM me if you don't want to expose the dealer to everyone.

This is a bit off-topic, but it kind of explains my lack of faith: it seems that more often than not, when I try to buy an oil filter, spark plugs, crush washers, they tell me they're not in stock and they'll have to order the parts. So...when they do maintenance on a customer's bike do they have to order plugs and filters?

Maybe there's a BMW tech or dealer in this forum who can answer that.

Sorry for the tangent.

Archived