IGNORED

specs for new F650GS with 798 cc motor

NoHeat

New F800GS and F650GS specs are pasted below.

Despite its name, the F650 doesn't have a 650 engine. It has the same 800 cc engine as the F800, but with less horsepower and torque.

The F650 has a much lower seat height, one front disk instead of two, and different tire sizes.

===============================

F650GS specs:

Engine: Water-cooled, 2-cylinder, 4-stroke, four valves per cylinder, two overhead camshafts, dry sump lubrication

Capacity: 798 cc

Rated output: 52 kW (71 hp) at 7,000 rpm (output reduction to 25 kW (34 hp) at 5,000 rpm possible)

Max. torque: 75 Nm at 4,500 rpm (with output reduction: 57 Nm at 3,000 rpm)

Emission control: Closed-loop 3-way catalytic converter, emission standard EU-3

Tyre, front / rear: 110/80 - 19 59H / 140/80 - 17 69H

Wheelbase: 1,575 mm

Brake, front: Single disc, diameter 300 mm, double-piston floating caliper

Brake, rear: Single disc, diameter 265 mm, single-piston floating caliper

ABS: Optional extra: BMW Motorrad ABS (can be switched off)

Seat height: 820 mm (low seat: 790 mm; lowered suspension: 765 mm)

Inner leg curve: 1,820 mm (low seat: 1,780 mm; lowered suspension: 1.710 mm)

Dry weight 1) : 171 kg

Unladen weight, road ready, fully fuelled 2) : 199 kg

Usable tank volume : 16,0 l

=================================

F800GS specs

Engine: Water-cooled, 2-cylinder, 4-stroke, four valves per cylinder, two overhead camshafts, dry sump lubrication

Capacity: 798 cc

Rated output: 63 kW (85 hp) at 7,500 rpm (optional 91 RON version: 61 kW (83 hp) at 7,500 rpm)

Max. torque: 83 Nm at 5,750 rpm (optional 91 RON version: 81 Nm at 5,750 rpm)

Emission control: Closed-loop 3-way catalytic converter, emission standard EU-3

Tyre, front / rear: 90/90 - 21 54V / 150/70 - 17 69V

Wheelbase: 1,578 mm

Brake, front: Twin disc, floating brake discs, diameter 300 mm, double-piston floating calipers

Brake, rear: Single disc, diameter 265 mm, single-piston floating caliper

ABS: Optional extra: BMW Motorrad ABS (can be switched off)

Seat height: 880 mm (low seat: 850 mm)

Inner leg curve: 1,940 mm (low seat: 1,900 mm)

Dry weight 1): 178 kg

Unladen weight, road ready, fully fuelled 2): 207 kg

Usable tank volume : 16,0 l

bmw news release with specs

So now I'm confused... why are they calling it a 650? And it appears to be a street version... so why are they calling it a GS?

I agree. Weird marketing ideas.

• 2 weeks later...

I am confused about a few things.

* Why are they calling it a 650 when it has the 800cc motor?

* I did not see it at the IMS at San Mateo last weekend, so I wonder if it is being sold in the USA in 2008.

* There is about a 14 HP difference between the 650GS and the 800GS, but the motors are identical. I wonder how easily it would be to modify the engine or ECU to get 85 HP out of the 650GS bike?

It's badge engineering. It's being called a GS because anything with that nomenclature is known to sell well. Like an SUV, it promotes a desirable image. grin.gif And when one is purchased for an SO, it can be rationalized as having another purpose. wink.gif

It's an entry level bike and 650 is viewed as a known commodity and sounds less intimidating than 800 (and it has 20% less power). Entry level riders don't know much, except that smaller is better, and though many move up after a short period of time, this could help alleviate the trend. (Amazingly, everyone was at one time, entry level. lmao.gif)

BMW cars and Mercedes grappled with this in the 80's and 90's. Some 325 bimmers were 2.7L (eta) and 300E's had displacements of 2.5, 2.8, as well as 3.0L. The biggest offender, a 190E had only two engine sizes (here), 2.3 and 2.6. The class of car had taken on more importance than the displacement and the manufacturers reckoned the American public wouldn't know the difference (or care).

It could lead to a new way to delineate categories, and frankly I'm ready for it. Other than Sportsters, Harley's been downplaying displacement since the 80's, of course for a different reason ("you mean a 1340 cc bike won't even go 100 mph" grin.gif). The results though are not a joke, and speak for themselves.

It's innovative marketing instead of engineering, time will tell if it works. Is it coming here, who knows, it's probably likely though.

I am sure this this forum will eventually have exact instructions on how to increase the power of the GS650 to the 800 level allowing us "frugal" riders to be happy.

Rod

I think it would be nice if you could mix-and-match the different parts as you liked. More power and money, or less of both. Higher seat or lower. Two disks up front or just one.

You can't do that, though. More power, higher price, higher seat, and two disks are available only as a package, whether you like it or not. The alternative package with less of everything including seat height (F650GS) might not be available at all in the US.

The explanation I read for it being called the F650GS is because anything labelled 800 or over is seen in the market as big heavy and high performance, so this way they get to update the bike , using a twin which is basically the same as used in other bikes, just downrated.

Having seen both this week at the Motorcycle & Scooter show at Birmingham (UK) I like the F800GS very much - it was attracting a lot of interest (unsurprisingly) - I would like to ride one, but am giving it serous consideration. It'll be available here in early 2008.

Archived