IGNORED

new rider looking for tips

atlbmw

hey all...I'm looking for some advice from all of you experienced bmw riders.

So, I've read all the recommended info about beginner riders. I completed my msf course last weekend. It was the first time I rode anything other than a bicycle or a scooter and a great way to spend a weekend. I feel comfortable, but I know that I have a lot of riding to do before I consider myself a good rider.

I won't be doing much riding in the city bc I live in Atlanta. I'm more looking for a bike I can take on out of town trips. I'd like to be able to eventually put someone on my bike with me.

So, I came across a k75 with about 14k miles on it and it's close to my price range. It looks like the right kind of bike for me. But, I'm looking for some feedback.

thoughts?

Thanks!

Welcome to the party. It sounds like your on the right track...MSF course...taking it easy at first and building on your experience for some 'two-up' riding down the road.

looking forward to seeing your 75!

Welcome to the asylum.

K75's are fantastic bikes. They'll do everything from teaching you how to ride, to hauling you, & your's, across country. They are one of the most dead-reliable bikes ANYONE has ever built.

A suggestion. Fill out your profile so we can get a better handle on you.

Don't be bashful, most of us don't bite. grin.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

The K75 is an excellent choice for a first bike. They have adequate power but nothing scary, decent handling and brakes, particularly the ABS equipped ones, and are comfortable enough to tour on. Depending on size of rider/passenger, two up is by no means out of the question.

By all means, avoid city traffic and rush hours on the Atlanta freeway system. Those can be a challenge for even an experienced rider. Stick to secondary roads and, if I were your, avoid the popular motorcycle roads in and around your area. They are usually popular cause of the challenge they present to faster riders and it is all too easy to get caught up in the chase and wind up over your head.

Do keep in mind that your MSF course, while valuable, has really only qualified you to ride a small bike in a parking lot. It is going to take some time to develop the street survival skills and see things that your car driving experience has not prepared you for. Take things easy till you develop those skills and do remember that one of the most dangerous times for a motorcyclist is about 3-6 months into the learning experience when you feel you finally know how to ride. eek.gif I've been riding over 50 years and still learn a bit more every time I throw a leg over.

Personally, I'd pick up something smaller first and get use to riding! Something that if you drop it won't matter as much. Maybe an Enduro (tall) or under 500cc street bike.

Personally, I'd pick up something smaller first and get use to riding! Something that if you drop it won't matter as much. Maybe an Enduro (tall) or under 500cc street bike.

Personal caveat -- after a 10-yr layoff from riding, I bought a K75s and proceeded to have a tip-over in the garage my first week of owning the bike by obligingly following the owner's manual instructions to take the bike off center stand while standing alongside the bike -- of course it fell away from my body and hit the pavement. Thereafter, I only took it off centerstand while astride the saddle. The only "fault" the K75 have IMO is that they are top-heavy when being pushed around. Understandably, handling is not quite up to current models, but related pucker factor probably will prevent you from excessive cornering speeds. More, personal opinion: the K75S is the prettiest bike from Berlin in the last 30 years. I wish I had kept my silver 95 with the red saddle if for no reason more that admire its looks and it's funky exhaust note (with a Staintune) a burbly, backfiring during throttle roll-off). My wife says she could ID that bike from any other just by the tone, not loudness of the exhaust.

K75 is a good bike. Just practice,practice, practice. Know that you are invisible! Everybody out there will ignore your existence.

Smaller bike? Why, K75 small enough and large enough. Depends on how testoronee you are. There are folks out there with 100K on a Burgman and others who never got past 14K on their K75.

Have it looked at by a reputable shop and enjoy yourself! wave.gif

Go for it. Small nimble bike that will give you plenty of years of pleasure. Then when you are ready to hand it over to your wife, it will be a great bike for her too.

Good luck!

sounds like I have nothing but positive statements. cool.

I'll take one person's advice and make sure I have it inspected by a bmw dealer.

I'll also doublecheck to make sure it has ABS.

thanks everyone. hopefully after i get some miles under my belt, i may be able to offer a few tips as well.

If anyone has any more tips/advice feel free to keep posting.

thumbsup.gif

An older used bike is always great for the first bike. If you drop it, miss a turn and go off road and otherwise lay it down, you haven't wrecked a shiny brand new bike.

Welcome thumbsup.gif

No one has mentioned it yet, but don't get so caught up in the bike that you forget to earmark sufficient funds to buy good quality protective gear. ATGATT = "all the gear, all the time" and it's a worthwhile mantra to remember even if you're only going around the corner to get gas, drop off a movie, etc.

There are LOTS of threads about various vented and non-vented gear, helmets and gloves, both in this forum and in the advrider.com forum. (As you probably already know, there is an amazing amount of collective wisdom on these forums.) If you let the "search tool" be your friend, you'll get quality gear AND save yourself a LOT of money. cool.gif

• 3 weeks later...

ok. so, I did it. i bought it. i towed it home and it's my garage. I'm pumped!!!

the guy gave me his full-face shoei helmet. it fits perfectly and he says he's never been in a wreck.

he also gave me his jacket. it's a little big, the padding is kinda weak. it's waterproof and windproof.

I plan to buy a new jacket, pants, helmet, and gloves over the next few months. but for the mean time i'm thinking the hand me downs will do.

hopefully, i can borrow gloves from someone until I get all suited up as well.

Hi, and welcome.

My advice to you: Read David Hough's "Proficient Motorcycling." I reread it once a year. He gives great, comprehensible advice about riding technique and about the proper mindset conducive to many years of riding enjoyment.

Sounds great.

To start, once you've got gloves and have all your skin covered, find an empty parking lot near your home to practice at low speed, just as you did in the MSF course. Have fun!

Enjoy the new ride. I have two pieces of advice. First, when it is too cold to ride, start reading books by David Hough. Second, it takes about 20,000 miles on a bike before one is no longer a beginner.

Ride safe.

peterh

Archived