IGNORED

More power? Better mileage?

MotorinLA

Laser is a well known manufacturer of exhausts as I'm sure you know. So the chip just adds to the package. Of course you also have to get the exhaust for it to work.

Laser

Remember it's a BMW not a Hayabusa so performance gain is marginal.

busabooboo.jpg[/img]

A much cheaper route is to put in the Autolite plugs and take the carbon canister off. Made a world of difference in my bike.

How? May I ask.

wave.gif

Yeah, me too. I'd like to understand how removing the fuel tank's vapor recovery system, an air pollution control device, "Made a world of difference."
ShovelStrokeEd

I had the generic Laser chip in my 1100S along with a Z-technic exhaust system.

Bike ran great and was, just a little, better in both mid range and top end.

1100S bikes tend to run pretty well anyway given that they have much better primary and secondary exhaust systems than do the other R bikes. Larger primary pipes with no convoluted curves that expand into a more efficient entry into the cat converter and thence out to a less restrictive muffler arrangement.

I suppose going from all that vacuum hose to capping the ports helped it to smooth out. I did both at the same time (plugs and the canister) and my MPG went up 2-3 and the flat spot on acceleration went away. The bike is much smoother and stronger now.

You still have failed to convince me that the removal of the charcoal gas fume recovery device had any effect on anything other than weight...

russell_bynum
You still have failed to convince me that the removal of the charcoal gas fume recovery device had any effect on anything other than weight...

It makes no difference whatsoever unless you've got a vacuum leak or a clogged canister.

It makes no difference whatsoever unless you've got a vacuum leak or a clogged canister.

Or you ride a KTM.

Oh, wait.

This is a BMW forum.

Sorry, I forgot myself. tongue.gif

First of all, the canister on my bike was plugged hence the removal. Secondly, I was determined not to pay $8 for spark plugs again. I keep my bike well tuned probably better tuned than 90% of the people on this board. I know my bike and I can tell the difference in the way the engine runs and sounds after an oil change. I don't care if any of you believe my comment. I don't need to justify to anyone. I know my bike runs better than ever now and that's all that is important to me.

I don't believe it either, but I just did a canisterectomy and I swear the bike runs better than it ever has.

No the canister wasn't plugged, I just wanted to be rid of it.

Archived