IGNORED

any update on XM traffic/radio support on Nav III?

Mark_Hogan

I've done a search on Motorrad III support with XM traffic/radio/weather compatibility, and the last posts I can find are from about a year ago. Granted, I may not have done in depth searches...

I'm hoping that sometime in the past year someone has figured out how to get traffic, weather and radio added to the III. I didn't order the III on my '07 until I read the III manual online, which said that XM traffic worked. After looking at the manual again, it never mentions weather or radio...for that matter, it's pretty skimpy on the details of how the traffic actually works.

I'm hoping that this works, at least in the order of traffic, weather then radio. I commute in DC. Traffic seems to get worse every day. I had a 2.5 hour commute home the other day...for all of 32 miles!

I just checked my Nav 3 user guide. The only thing it references is the FM TMC Traffic Receiver. I bought my Nav 3 in Feb and at the time the Garmin web site listed the Traffic Receiver (Antenna) as an option for the Nav 3. Last time I looked, it was no longer there. So I don't know if they've done away with it or not. I don't think the Nav 3 supported weather info like some other Garmin models.

confused.gif

I just checked my Nav 3 user guide. The only thing it references is the FM TMC Traffic Receiver. I bought my Nav 3 in Feb and at the time the Garmin web site listed the Traffic Receiver (Antenna) as an option for the Nav 3. Last time I looked, it was no longer there. So I don't know if they've done away with it or not. I don't think the Nav 3 supported weather info like some other Garmin models.

confused.gif

I've got a Nav III and it only uses the FM TMC traffic receiver. I bought one from amazon.com and it comes with 15 mos. of service. The TMC service uses Clear Channel and I've used it to avoid sitting in traffic while passing through Atlanta. thumbsup.gif

BMW doesn't support XM on either the Nav III or the Nav Zumo since they have a corporate deal with Sirius for the car division.

Rocket_Cowboy
BMW doesn't support XM on either the Nav III or the Nav Zumo since they have a corporate deal with Sirius for the car division.

That right there pretty well summarizes it. Since the Zumo doesn't support XM either, I really doubt XM is coming to the Nav III.

I am no expert on GPS, however Garmin's website says that the Zumo 550 supports XM radio through the use of the GXM-30 antenna.

I saw this setup demo'd at a motorcycle show that past weekend.

I am no expert on GPS, however Garmin's website says that the Zumo 550 supports XM radio through the use of the GXM-30 antenna.

That is correct. My son is running his Zummo 550 that way, and a new gxm 30 antenna is sitting in my car, waiting to be activated. Weather can be included in that package.

That's correct for the generic 550. The BMW Navigator Zumo doesn't have the XM capabilities.

Rocket_Cowboy
That's correct for the generic 550. The BMW Navigator Zumo doesn't have the XM capabilities.

Correct. The Zumo 550 supports XM. The BMW Zump does not. If my previous comments were contradictory or confusing, my apologies.

I'm going the route that Hexhead suggested with FM TMC. I guess I will rely on the tried and true "looking at the sky" method of weather!

Archived