IGNORED

Stripped threads in cyl. head

boatzo

I did a valve adjustment and when re-installing the head cover, I stripped the threads in the hole in the head. I think the threads were already damaged as I didn't put much force at all when the bolt turned loose. Had a mild anxiety attack and then regained my composure and went to the NAPPA store. I remembered seeing stuff there for repairing stripped threads. Sure enough they had a Heli Coil kit for that size and thread. The kit was 36 bucks, but what the H.

I followed the instructions and the repair went very well and the bike is all back together now.

My question is; The bolt holes in the head appear to be in inserts but I am not sure about this? Maybe they are just counter bored and look like inserts? I would appreciate any answers on this.

TIA

Don't feel bad, you're not the first and you won't be the last...

The original bolt holes do not have inserts but it's possible that one or more are in there from a previous repair effort.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Don't feel bad, you're not the first and you won't be the last...

The original bolt holes do not have inserts but it's possible that one or more are in there from a previous repair effort.

It's possible the original holes look like inserts because the bolt has a shoulder on it that contacts the cylinder head when tightened. On a high-mileage oilhead, after many remove/install cycles, there will be a nice circular witness mark slightly larger than the thread diameter; that may make it look like there's an insert there.

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV

You're right about the Napa Kit-Part No. 1221-306 for anyone who needs it. I had the same problem with stripped threads in the head, and this kit makes it so easy, "even a caveman could do it." clap.gif

I think that is it Mitch. It sure looks like an insert but you have hit the nail on the head.

The NAPPA kit worked fantastic for this Neandrathal !! clap.gif

Archived