IGNORED

Buying 06 R1200RT Need feedback on what to look for.

Fajah

Hello gang,

Would like feedback on what to check for. Did the deposit over phone and will inspect bike on Tuesday. 3400 miles, $13.9K.

Bike seems to have all the bells and whistles. AES, Motolites, Radio/CD/XM, Anti-theft, cbailey windscreen, computer console, clear indicator lens..ect

I plan on riding this bike 10years...bought my 96 from a friend 5 years ago and will be giving it to my Son in the San Fran area, his first bike.

Have read about the FD problems...this is a dealer..anything I should ask for?

Not crazy about spoiler color had hoped for silver - can they be changed?

217096247-L.jpg

The spoiler is screwed to the upper red fairing so it's easy to replace. Find someone on the forums who wants to trade a silver spoiler for a black one...maybe someone with a silver/silver RT. The black looks better on the silver RT's.

Hello gang,

Not crazy about spoiler color had hoped for silver - can they be changed?

217096247-L.jpg

Engine spoilers are easy to swap-out. They are bolted onto the upper gas tank panels with about 8-10 screws. My beige sand metallic RT had the silver spoilers and I didn't like the look at all. I found a pair at Beemer Boneyard for less than half what they'd cost new. You could also try placing an post in the classified section of this forum. It's possible you could find someone to do an outright swap with you. I was able to later sell my silver spoilers by placing post in the classified section.

Fajah,

wave.gifRegarding changing the black spoiler for a silver one...

Go to beemerboneyard.com thumbsup.gif

Was given very quick and courtious service in every detail

I have a silver 07 and exhanged by black spoiler for a like new silver one from BeemerBoneYard for pennies on the dollar.

And this made my Silver bike look like a beautiful unified design. clap.gif

Have read about the FD problems...this is a dealer..anything I should ask for?

Since the 2007 models call for a FD fluid change at 600 miles, you might either ask the dealer to do this now or have it done at your 6,000 mile service.

Seems like a good price for a bike which (except for the seat) looks exactly like mine. So far, my only problems in 18,000 miles have been the spurious oil level warnings and a nail in the rear tire.

Enjoy your new RT!

Tom

OK, got the picture on spoilers.

Anything I should be sure to check during my visual inspection.

Is there any information available to me with the VIN?

John, Just buy it before someone else does. That is a very good price with all the farkles. I just paid that for a 2005 with similar milage and I shopped around for a long time before getting that type of deal.

As to any defects or "issues", remember the bike is under warrantee, put the worries behind you and buy it thumbsup.gif

If you're concerned about FD issues, maybe you might want to consider a discount on an extended warranty as part or your negotiations. Maybe ask about the history of tha bike - why/what did previous owner trade-in? Price seems good for entering winter season, although may not apply to FLA.

Story on trade in is, the BMW dealer got it from local Harley dealer that took it in on trade.....

If I get the VIN, can I find out anything on a BMW site anywhere?

If I get the VIN, can I find out anything on a BMW site anywhere?

Any BMW dealer can give you all the info you want with the VIN. They will even print it out for you. ( or they have for me when asked ) This includes repairs,recalls and any service.

Don't know exactly what you are looking for but I would also assume Carfax or some equivalent is available for bikes.

Deal is done...siting in my Fathers garage in Orlando,,,next trip I bring her home to Pcola.....thanks all.

218414299-S.jpg

Now it is time for "adventures in farkleland" yahoooo

I really like the Red. I am surprised that BMW discontinued the color. The color looks much better in person than it does in photos. You just can't see the depth of the color in photos. I hunted all over the state to find mine last December. I receive compliments on it all the time.

I really like the Red. I am surprised that BMW discontinued the color. The color looks much better in person than it does in photos. You just can't see the depth of the color in photos. I hunted all over the state to find mine last December. I receive compliments on it all the time.

Plus everyone knows red is the fastest color!!

John, I think that the black "lowers" will grow on you as I originally wanted white but my color consultant (wife) strongly objected so I ordered black - and she was right!

Congrats on your purchase - those of us in more northerly climes will be envious of your riding weather for the next few months!

Tom (06 Red RT)

Archived