IGNORED

face shields that block as much UV as possible

BarryBrisco

I'm trying to determine how much Arai face shields block UV, and if there are any products out there that can increase the face shield UV protection. I'd like to get as close to 100% blockage as possible while still being able to see through it! wink.gif This is on the recommendation of my dermatologist. Of course I wear a good sunblock while riding, usually SPF45.

The Arai website isn't much help on this topic. I own a fairly new Arai SZ/m helmet and the website say the face shield "maximizes UV protection" but doesn't give any real data. I've searched the web but can't find any more than that.

The Helmet Sunblocker product appears to only block UV in a narrow strip at the top of the faceshield.

Does anyone have any data on how much Arai face shields block UV and if there are any aftermarket products or replacement face shields that can improve the stock shield in this regard?

Thanks.

Hi, Barry. My optometrist has a gadget that checks UV protection. Maybe you could bring your faceshield into an optometrist to have it checked.

finallyabeemer

I apologize that I do not have time to do the research and cite the sources, but my recollection is that Arai faceshields are made of polycarbonate.

And my recollection is that polycarbonate is a very effective (99%+) blocker of all UV rays...

Doing a little google searching on those two tidbits should be able to confirm or disprove my recollections.

UV blockage and "seeing through it" have not much to do with each other. Glass, for example, blocks nearly all UV even though it is as clear as ....well... glass!

Face shields are made of polycarbonate (Lexan). Ppolycarbonate transmits nearly 100% of visible light, but sharply cuts off to essentially 0% transmission at 400nm. That means that polycarbonate NATURALLY BLOCKS 100% of UV. There is nothing to choose from between one face shield and another. All are made of PC, and therefore ALL will naturally block UV.

In other words, this is a non-issue! Whether you like it or not, no UV is going to get through any polycarbonate face shield (which means in practical terms, ANY face shield you can buy).

There is an article in the July 2007 "Ride Texas" magazine that tested 7 visors. The Nolan smoke was rated the best (of those tested) and stated that it was the only UV400-labled visor they found.

2nd thru 4th place was: KBC green, Scorpion and the KBC mirrored. They also stated that this group had significantly lower UVA blocking performance than the Nolan.

The poorest was the Arai clear.

FWIW, I have an Arai with a smoke visor......it wasn't tested.

UV blockage and "seeing through it" have not much to do with each other. Glass, for example, blocks nearly all UV even though it is as clear as ....well... glass!

Okay, thanks. Though I would point out that the vast majority of solid materials that block visible light also block UV (though certainly not all solid materials).

Face shields are made of polycarbonate (Lexan). Ppolycarbonate transmits nearly 100% of visible light, but sharply cuts off to essentially 0% transmission at 400nm. That means that polycarbonate NATURALLY BLOCKS 100% of UV. There is nothing to choose from between one face shield and another. All are made of PC, and therefore ALL will naturally block UV.

I checked Wikipedia and that is exactly what it says. So that is good news for my skin.

In other words, this is a non-issue! Whether you like it or not, no UV is going to get through any polycarbonate face shield (which means in practical terms, ANY face shield you can buy).

That's interesting. I wonder why the article referenced by BakersRT in the July 2007 "Ride Texas" magazine found differences, and rated the Arai one of the poorest at UV blockage. Maybe they didn't know what they were doing...or maybe it's not as simple an issue as some might assume.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Hi, Barry. My optometrist has a gadget that checks UV protection. Maybe you could bring your faceshield into an optometrist to have it checked.

I'd be really interested to see some first-hand measured results like this. Like RFW, my understanding is that polycarb (what most, if not all, faceshields are made of) does not transmit UV. That said, some folks here have reported getting their face sunburned in spite of that, so what do I know. confused.gif Is it possible for extensive exposure to visible wavelengths to irritate/injure skin in a manner similar to UV?

Mitch, I don't believe that visible light can cause sunburn. But I suspect that the typical helmet without a chin guard (i.e., not full face) lets in some UV below the faceshield through reflection off shiny surfaces or even the road surface. Over a prolonged period, that could cause a face burn if the person was not wearing any sunscreen.

I was very pleased to read the responses here to my question and discover that polycarbonate face shields block nearly 100% of UV. That, combined with the high SPF sunscreen I routinely wear, should do a good job of protecting my fair skin. As I have been diagnosed with skin cancer on my arms and neck, I need a the protection I can get!

Not an expert here, but I recall that there are UV-A and UV-B rays that differ in the way they go through PC or glass. As I recall, both are bad for your skin (and eyes) to differing degrees. Perhaps this is where the different numbers come from. Lets hear from a real expert now... cool.gif

Some polycarbonates can be worse than even glass for transmitting UV. Heres's a transmission curve for 1.5 mm thick polycarbonate that looks like it passes almost all UVA and lots of UVB as well. I'm sure it's possible to prepare the plastic differently to block more UV.

UVA 400 nm - 320 nm

UVB 320 nm - 290 nm

nm.jpg

My UV tester is a pair of "transition" glasses. They do not turn dark when I'm wearing my Nolan Helmet with the shield down. Raise the shield and they turn dark.

Some polycarbonates can be worse than even glass for transmitting UV. Heres's a transmission curve for 1.5 mm thick polycarbonate that looks like it passes almost all UVA and lots of UVB as well. I'm sure it's possible to prepare the plastic differently to block more UV.

UVA 400 nm - 320 nm

UVB 320 nm - 290 nm

Interesting. Wikipedia states the following with respect to polycarbonate....

Also, polycarbonate is almost completely transparent throughout the entire visible region of the spectrum and very sharply cuts off to ~0% transmission at almost exactly 400 nm, blocking all UV light transmission.

Yeah, I saw that too, but looking farther it seems there are many formulations of polycarbonate, and many different treatments/manufacturing processes that affect it's optical properties. I think you'll have to rely on what the manufacturer says about theirs. Mine, an HJC CL-max claims 95% UV reduction. However, as has been pointed out, it isn't clear exactly what that means in term of a cut off point or how protective it is.

Archived