IGNORED

on the road w/ question?

yechave

Day 3, trying to decide on keeping the bike or not. I have just about 2k miles on this since we got it a month ago.

We have been on RT 81 VA/MD today, about 75-82 mph. The bike is not nearly as smooth as I expected. It somewhat feels like running on a back road that was stoned, but not nearly as severe. It definetly is not smooth, at least as compared to my last bike GS 850 Suzuki, nor the Harely Heritage I rented earlier t

If your bike is making that much of impression on you in regards to not being smooth, (Which really is open to interpretation) consider that something is malfunctioning and causing the *unsmoothness* you feel.

Suspension issues?

Tire problems?

Check it good, you dont want any unexpected surprises.

I have a 1998 R1100RT with 105k on it. And it gives me goose pimples of joy to ride all the way from 1 mph to 1xx mph. (No self incrimination tonight). Its smooth man, smooth. I feel like having a cup of english tea sometimes when im on it! ( German tea? not sure...)

First, this probably belongs in either Oilheads or Motorcycle Talk, not OT.

As I recall, you bought a used R1100RT. What I don't recall is how many miles were on it, and whether it still had stock shocks. It sounds from your post like you're talking about the smoothness of the ride, not smoothness as in lack of vibration. If so, and the bike has over 30K miles on it, it probably needs shocks.

Alternatively, you might just need to adjust the rear preload for the load you're carrying (two-up with lots of luggage, as I recall).

The word "vague" comes to mind.... Can you elaborate a little? There's a lot of people that would gladly chime in to help, but we need a little more info.

It definetly is not smooth, at least as compared to my last bike GS 850 Suzuki, nor the Harely Heritage I rented earlier t
It definitely isn't going to be as smooth as the Suzuki, it's a boxer twin. I'm no expert on Harley's but last year I rode Whip's Road Glide for a day and I was surprised how smooth that was, once up to about 30 mph it was smoother than my 1150RT. MY CBR1000 is way smoother than the RT, the KLR and CRF, not so much...

Oh yes, my RT feels exactly like Boney's and Leslie's both of which I've ridden almost 1000 miles. Some people are more sensitive to vibration than others, maybe you and I are two of them.

Too smooth doesn't necessarily mean good. I've got a Harley Dyna which shakes, an R1150RT that purrs and a Ninja 650R that's probably the smoothest. The RT has that slight side to side shake that only a boxer gives and that's part of what gives me the thrill that I get from zipping through the 45 mph curves at 90.

Anything more than a very slight purr probably means something besides the normal. I've found tires to be the biggest culprit.

Norm

Just for clarification I will say that though I can feel the vibration it really doesn't bother me much, the buzz on my ST1100 was much worse.

ShovelStrokeEd

Before you get your panties in a wad, that stretch of road is by no means smooth. The heavy traffic, particularly truck traffic has caused the pavement to be such that it sets up a pretty good buzz, even with new(ish) tires.

Second, your bike is gonna vibrate some regardless. Yes, there is near perfect primary balance within the engine as the pistons move in opposing directions, however, there is a secondary imbalance caused by the offset of the crank pins that cannot be removed. It is usually found, at least on the 4 oil heads I have owned, right in the region between 4100 and 4500 RPM.

We have been on RT 81 VA/MD today, about 75-82 mph. The bike is not nearly as smooth as I expected. It somewhat feels like running on a back road that was stoned, but not nearly as severe. It definetly is not smooth, at least as compared to my last bike GS 850 Suzuki, nor the Harely Heritage I rented earlier t

Wayne:

I agree, my bike is not nearly as smooth as my previous K75. However, on a recent 850 mile ride, it proved to me it was not a tiring type of vibration.

Also, the vibration you are feeling could be partially caused by a throttle body imbalance. This is easily corrected and can make a significant difference.

Tipover Bob

As has been suggested it could be: a) the road itself b) tires, are they good tread and proper air pressure 36-38F 38-42R c) shocks OK and rear preload set for proper load by adjusting preload knob under right rear side cover d) engine in proper gear for load and speed .... the Rt is a different kind of smooth compared to my old Gold Wings but very tolerable (enjoyable) after getting used to it! I noticed a smoother running engine through the whole RPM range with Auto Lite 3923 plugs (seems too simple) and also had to learn NOT to lug the engine by keeping the revs up above 3500 especially with 2 up and luggage! Other wise if you are getting constant vibration other than the engine thum it might be a problem that needs solved!!??

Archived