IGNORED

Tell me about the K1200S :)

fourteenfour

I have just sold my R1200RT.... was going to get something smaller and sportier only to find out that if I buy any Japanese sport bike (including VFRs) that my insurance is in the nusto realm. However the K1200S only hits me for $500!

I found an 06 that looks nice, I am after the bumblebee version (yellow/black). I had a 03 K1200RS before the RT

How is it for highway riding? Comparable to the 03 RS?

Tire life? Service costs and such? Any "gotchas"? - other than 0 to jail times?

(oh, what about seat height? 30 inch inseam here)

I picked up a 2006 as well with only 900 miles on the bike. No real problems for me so far in 4k miles. I did have the dealer update the software to smooth out the throttle flow and change out the rear drive fluid. Quickly coming up on the 6k service so no first hand experience there. Previous bike was a Futura. Riding buddy does have a 2002 RS. The k12s is more sporty and engine does not seem as smooth. However, take range is much better than his. Much lighter bike with more sporty feel. Check out i-bmw.com or k-bikes.com for more feedback. HTH

Clint

Already got a post on K-Bikes :P

My riding habits and needs changed and I decided to go back to a sport bike. After the previous insurance shock for a non-BMW I figured.... back to BMW!

I have just sold my R1200RT.... was going to get something smaller and sportier only to find out that if I buy any Japanese sport bike (including VFRs) that my insurance is in the nusto realm. However the K1200S only hits me for $500!

I found an 06 that looks nice, I am after the bumblebee version (yellow/black). I had a 03 K1200RS before the RT

How is it for highway riding? Comparable to the 03 RS?

Tire life? Service costs and such? Any "gotchas"? - other than 0 to jail times?

(oh, what about seat height? 30 inch inseam here)

I went from an 04KRS to an 07KS. After a couple thousand miles, I think the S is probably more comfortable than the RS. Highway riding is highway riding. I think the S is better in the wind (crosswinds or when passing semis) than the RS. The speed is great - easy to pass anything and quickly. There is a bit more wind in the chest, but that depends on your height and the windscreen.

The RS was great; the S is greater.

No gotchas that I have found. Many comments about clunky transmissions, but 2-finger shifting and only pulling the lever back 1/2 inch solves that.

Calvin  (no socks)

I have a beta version...05 with near 25,000 miles on it.. I used 3 sets of Metzler M1 tires, then put on a set of Pilot roads..Sketchy with all that power on the tight twisties of North Carolina.. the oil change is a snap. I keep it off the rev limiter.. stretching the valve adjustment to ?

Have done 1200+ mile days... Have been to Utah twice....Soon to be thrice...Great on the highway..

Less wind protection... hey I live in Florida.. I need to cool off... at 32 degrees... it can be chilly...

I love it...

I put away my 03 GT...

Got back from riding the Alps 3 weeks ago and had a great time riding a 2007 bumblebee S. Cruised the autobahn from Munich to Innsbruck and hit 155mph for awhile and was steady at 120+ for a good while. Smmmoooooth. Most of the mountain riding was in the South Tyrol Region of Italy...the Dolomites. Great bike, comfortable for a sport bike, abs and etc are wonderful, acceleration is to die for and superb in the twisties. Had some locals on rice burners try to lose us, but they couldn't and eventually just waived us by clap.gif

Wonderful bike. Went from a 2000 RT to this. Power to spare. Friend tells me he does not know why they put 2nd-5th gear on the bike, you dont need it. grin.gif

Seriously, I have done 800 mile days on this bike with little issue. I share a 30'' inseam, and have no issues. You will not be disappointed.

I have a 34' inseam giving me a total of 6'4". Went from an 1150RT to a K1200S and love it. Tyres seem to wear out faster i.e they run out faster, runs roughish at low revs i.e 2500 in 6th (but I have a bolt on aftermarket exhaust and hi flow air filters), handles great, goes better..Up to 100 mph it can run with the big dogs (would go better if I shed 40 pounds dopeslap.gif), has a clunky 1st and 2nd gear. Is it the perfect bike ?....no (but what is)......but it is nearly perfect for me. Pillions love the standard seat, carrys luggage with ease and I have fitted an aftermarked top box. It is a great motorcycle thumbsup.gif

36ish" inseam here.

Mile munching...

The longest day for me on my KS was 600 miles after which I didn't even want to look at the dam bike for a week my knees hurt so bad.

The riding position is substantially more aggressive then my wives 03 GT.

What gets me on the GT is my hips.

For me, the RT racks up the miles best.

The KS racks up the smiles best smile.gif (as long as the miles stay down).

Tire mileage sucks. 2.5k is what I should have gotten on M1 & M3's but ran them to the cords at about 3k.

Keep in mind that I live very near to twisty roads with corse blacktop & this has been a mostly recreational bike (still have the other two).

I now have a 2ct on the rear & these days I'm riding a lot more straight roads so mileage should go up.

My early 05 is a blast but I'm worried about the tranny.

I already had the clutch go out.

I have a beta version...05 with near 25,000 miles on it.. I used 3 sets of Metzler M1 tires, then put on a set of Pilot roads..Sketchy with all that power on the tight twisties of North Carolina.. the oil change is a snap. I keep it off the rev limiter.. stretching the valve adjustment to ?

Have done 1200+ mile days... Have been to Utah twice....Soon to be thrice...Great on the highway..

Less wind protection... hey I live in Florida.. I need to cool off... at 32 degrees... it can be chilly...

I love it...

I put away my 03 GT...

Dadgumit Calvin, If you ever got that GT above 4k rpm's... grin.gif

The K 1200 S is an excellent Spour tourer.

Not my choice for 2 up, but excellent solo.

Tire life = less than the average bike, but some would say the KRS was too.

I generally get @7500-8500 on Z-6's B4 changing (on my GT), usually w/tread remaining.

We changed an RT that had 22k on a set of z-6's, so tire wear is a subjective/conditional based on roads and riding style.

The K 1200 S's we see get 2-8k, more towards the average of those, or less.

If I could afford a 3rd bike (my old RSL is back and available so I'm thinking Boxer for solo dopeslap.gifcommuting) the S would be it.

I had the fuel sensor replaceded at 2000 miles on an 06 and recently the lock cylinder for the seat fell out. Otherwise the bike has been a great addition. I am 6'6" with 36 inch inseam and am pretty comfy with a peg lowering kit. The bike is super fun to ride. No heat management issues. I highly recommend this bike for sport riding. It handles like a true sport bike. Harry

Well I went with a new 07 K1200R Sport. The deal offered on the bike is just ridiculous and my dealer did a bit better than that!

So while I might miss out on a yellow/black S I am taking a big liking to this bright blue beast. Adding some simple things like a clear tail (not-led), some paint protection film for the tank, a bigger kick stand foot, and a real horn. Going to get a chock for the garage as well and skip the center stand.

Watch out for the LED clear tail light. A friend who uses these went through several of them, they kept burning out within months.

Same guy just got pulled over by a LEO for the bulbed version because the taillight was "not red enough". Who knows, maybe he was being a bit of a hoon, but that was the reason they used. Not warning you off mind you, just sharing experience.

Enjoy the new ride!

Archived