IGNORED

dealer forgot to torque final drive fill plug

BKC1

i had final drive seal and fluid replaced a couple weeks ago ive been noticing oil on rim only on drive side i couldnt beleive it could be leaking so i didnt pay much attention,today i figured i would take off the fill plug and see if any fluid was leaking and the fill plug was not even hand tight i could see fluid but probaly can use a little more dealer say come by and they will look at it.my ? will i have any problems down the road thanks for comments.

How much is a "little"? If you only lost a small amount it won't be a problem, if you lost half of it maybe...

Also depends how far and under what conditions you rode it that way.

If you could see the fluid through the filler opening, then you didn't lose much at all, not enough to be worried about. I wouldn't be concerned, just top off, tighten the plug and ride on.

by a little i mean just below the threads i can see the fluid w/out a flashlight and as for as condtions 1 hr. trips 2 a day every day sometimes in the rain i am not sure if water could get in there. mostly at highway speeds.

by a little i mean just below the threads i can see the fluid w/out a flashlight and as for as condtions 1 hr. trips 2 a day every day sometimes in the rain i am not sure if water could get in there. mostly at highway speeds.

The level you describe sounds correct. It should not be above the bottom of the threads. I would ask the dealer to change the fluid at his expense, and ride, forgetting it ever happened.

I had the lovely experience of not having fluid installed when the final drive was changed out. Rode 90 miles home before I discovered the oversight. 2 final drives in 2 weeks!

Not a problem, if you think there is any possibility that water got in there make them change the fluid again. I'm assuming the leak was from the drain plug? If so I doubt that water got in given the tiny amount of fluid you lost - it looks like a lot more when it's on the wheel! (DAMHIK - Oh OK, I forgot to put the crush washer back on the drain plug)

Archived