IGNORED

articles in December Rider magazine

H C Edwards

I got the December issue of Rider today in the mail. Cover story was a comparison between the K1200GT, ST1300, Concours14, and FJR1300. Order of finish:

1. ST1300

2. FJR

3. Connie14

4. K1200GT

As the article said, "no losers here". I don't want to start a debate...just thought those who don't subscribe but like reading articles about sport tourers might want to pick up a copy. I wish they had included the Triummph Sprint and Ducati ST3.

The issue also reviewed the new Versys, then did a comparison between the Versys and Wee Strom. Their verdict - Versys better if emphasis is on handling, Wee if emphasis is on long distance comfort. I took a short ride on a Wee last spring, and was very impressed. I've only sat on the Versys, but also impressive.

They had a short article on the new Triumph Rocket III touring bike.

No connection to Rider - just a fairly recent subscriber. But they seem to have a knack for testing and reporting on bikes that interest me. I just wish the magazine was as thick as the leading monthly.

I've been riding BMW for over 25 years, but I recently bought a 2006 Bonneville, and it's a blast to ride. It's got me thinking of replacing some of the BMW stable and trying other brands.

Rider is a great magazine for touring and sport touring riders. Their comparison of sport tourers in 06' (Triumph Sprint ST, BMW R1200ST, Ducati ST3 and Honda Interceptor) was a big factor in me choosing the Sprint. It won the comparison.

I like Bike (U.K.) magazine too.

ShovelStrokeEd

A Sprint ST will probably be my next bike.

My boss has one and, having ridden with him a couple of times, the bike is attractive to me. It is good looking, has more than adequate power (I had to push my Blackbird a bit to stay even) and the factory luggage is commodious. ABS is available. In short, a nice bike.

The ergo's appear to be a little more conservative than those on my 'bird, I wouldn't worry about that overmuch as the after market can fix anything I don't like.

I do like the seat. Flat and narrow with room to slide back if need be. An all important feature for me as I hate "bucket" type seats that lock you into one riding position. For reference, the stock seat on my R1100S "prep" was the best motorcycle seat I ever had, the 'bird is a close second, tied with my VFR.

Only thing stopping me from getting one now is that the 'bird, at 60K miles is still doing everything I could ask of a motorcycle. Perhaps when something goes wrong with it, I'll make a change.

I got the December issue of Rider today in the mail. Cover story was a comparison between the K1200GT, ST1300, Concours14, and FJR1300. Order of finish:

1. ST1300

2. FJR

3. Connie14

4. K1200GT

As the article said, "no losers here".

The EXACT opposite way round to the way a recent German magazine test had them. Their only conflicting comment was that if one is very heavily biased towards the Touring end of the Sport-Touring spectrum, then the ST1300 was the definitely the most comfortable machine.

Road Tests are the subjective feelings/impressions of the journalist and reflect the tastes of its readership and the requirements of the riders in that country.

One must test-ride the machines before buying ...and I do understand how difficult that is over in the US.

Kawasaki UK have NO demo machines. One guy bought a ZZR1400, doesn't like the ergos, and wants to change it for a Connie 14.

Don't want to continue an argument etc....

A Sprint ST will probably be my next bike.

My boss has one and, having ridden with him a couple of times, the bike is attractive to me. It is good looking, has more than adequate power (I had to push my Blackbird a bit to stay even) and the factory luggage is commodious. ABS is available. In short, a nice bike.

The ergo's appear to be a little more conservative than those on my 'bird, I wouldn't worry about that overmuch as the after market can fix anything I don't like.

I do like the seat. Flat and narrow with room to slide back if need be. An all important feature for me as I hate "bucket" type seats that lock you into one riding position. For reference, the stock seat on my R1100S "prep" was the best motorcycle seat I ever had, the 'bird is a close second, tied with my VFR.

Only thing stopping me from getting one now is that the 'bird, at 60K miles is still doing everything I could ask of a motorcycle. Perhaps when something goes wrong with it, I'll make a change.

i hAVE 11200 miles on my 2006 Triumph ST/ABS...I really dig this bike -

I have a potential sale as of this weekend on my 2005 KLR650 - with that sold I can pickup a local 9900 mile 1 owner (anal friend owns it) KTM 950 Adventure..

With that - I'll probably keep my beloved Sprint and have a dual sport - (heavy on sport) - and my road tourer STA...not a bad combo - eh? thumbsup.gif

I haven't sat on a Sprint, but it looks like something I'd consider. I put Euro bars on my old airhead late last year, and it's been a revelation how comfortable it is to have a slight forward lean. There's a 2006 Sprint on e-bay up near Chicago, low miles, very reasonable buy it now, but four in the fleet now is one more than I want to maintain.

I sat on a new Tiger at the dealer a week before I found the used Bonnie, and that Tiger felt very good. And for some reason I'd like to ride that Rocket III.

I'll see if any of the Triumph dealers in Illinois have an open house next spring, with test rides. There aren't many...I think even fewer than BMW.

Maybe if I change my name to Jay Leno...then I'd just call out to the garage and order up the one I felt like riding.

What's interesting is that a F800ST beat the Sprint and Ducati ST3 quite handily in a comparison test in the October BIKE magazine.

And a year ago BIKE did a comparison test of the R1200RT, K1200GT, FJR and ST1300. The R1200RT was the hands down winner.

1. ST1300

2. FJR

3. Connie14

4. K1200GT

The current Motorcyclist magazine tested the Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha and a R1200RT. Their ranking was :

1. Connie14

2. FJR

3. R1200RT

4. ST1300

You have to consider what the riders are looking for in these comparisons. None will be totally objective. I was glad to see that the venerable BMW twin fared well against the liquid cooled high horsepower fours. As usual, the Beemer's price was a big negative influence in the rankings.

Archived