IGNORED

I need help in planning my first cross-country trip

JayW

OK, this is a lifelong dream and I'm going for it. I managed to carve out 3 weeks for the trip starting on April 16, 2008. My original thought was to leave home in West TN and ride diagonally across the country up to the Pacific Northwest and include some of the Pacific Coast highway at the end of this first leg. I would then ride along the Northern border of the country stopping along the way in Glacier National Park, the Black Hills and other areas as time allows. I would finally head south from Michigan to get home. I plan to ride alone, but have lots of family and friends I could stop and see or stay with along this route.

However, looking at the map, timing and weather, I am concerned that it may be too cold for this itinerary, particularly through the Rockies. Maybe not though - any feedback from you locals about this? I have good cold-weather gear, but don't want to ride on snow or ice.

Alternatively, I could stay south out of TN and spend a few days exploring UT, AZ, Death Valley, and then catch Highway 1 in Southern CA. I could ride this North for a day or 2 or 3, then head back east through Colorado where I also have family.

Obviously, my trip planning is in the early stages. I anticipate following Alton Brown's example and largely avoid interstates and chain restaurants. I have made several multi-day trips, but nothing this ambitious. I'll be camping out at least part of the time.

I don't know what to do! Any ideas, comments, or suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Jay

Interesting. I was planning a trip to Glacier Nat'l Park as well at about the same time. Got a buddy that lives in Polsen, and was going to stage from there to the Pac North West. I was planning on returning along Route(???) 1 through southern Canada and come back via I-29. We're going to have to share notes building up to this, it's my first big ride as well. Hope I'm not being too ambitious:)

For what its worth......we rode through two snow storms when we did our x-country trip back in '05......and that was in August. We hit snow in Beartooth Pass between MT/WY, and again while we were in Rocky MTN National Park. I'm not even sure if the mountain passes would even be cleared by mid April. I'm sure some of the local guys can chime in here and give you better info.

From the Glacier National Park website.

When does the Going-to-the-Sun Road open and close?

While portions of this scenic route remain open year-round, for the next 8-10 years, weather permitting, the entire Going-to-the-Sun Road will be open for public vehicle access from mid-June to mid-September. Before and after this core summer season, accelerated road work will be allowed and sections of the road will be closed.

ShovelStrokeEd

You are gonna have to find a route that keeps you under 8K feet for the most part. South is better than North for this. If you don't do this, you're gonna encounter snow and some pretty cold conditions.

A few years ago, OK 15, I used to make a spring run back east every year from SoCal to E. Tn or Florida depending on where I was living. Pretty much had to limit myself to I-10/I-20 as everything further North involved higher mountain passes. One year I did it from Sacto instead of LA and the cold across was pretty tough to deal with. I did get turned back twice on that trip, once just heading over I-80 to Reno and a second time in Colorado up around Breckenridge. Early spring can be problematic in the mountains.

Even I-40 and roads parallel, will take you up pretty high and high=cold.

Where in West Tennessee? I was raised in Midway, half way between Union City and Martin. I left in 67 to work for Boeing. I live in the Seattle area now and have just recently started riding again. As for the Northwest, you would be better served if you could be here in July at the earliest. Before that, you are really gambling. If I can provide you with any detail information on the area, just let me know.

Curtis

curtisbrandon@lockguys.con

If I were you I would stay south during this time. Colorado is pretty iffy around this time of hte year. You could have mid sixties to ride in and you could have snow...all in the same day.

The higher the elevation, the more chance for snow or worse, black ice. Knowing how Colorado is, I can't even imagine riding the north border of the US during this time, it would have to be cold as $^!!. blush.gif

I think the mtns in CO and UT and points south would be ridable as far as the all year roads are concerned, though as mentioned, you could get snow. I'm pretty sure Trail Ridge won't be open through Rocky Mtn National Park, and UT-150 will certainly be closed. Even without the construction referenced above, Going to the Sun would be closed for sure. Yellowstone might be accessible, but you would need to check, my guess is no. Yosemite (Tioga Pass) will certainly be closed.

I would consider riding through New Mexico and Southern Co. Mesa Verde, Durango, Silverton, Ouray and then into UT and AZ. Then South around to CA and up the coast. Death Valley will already be hot. Santa Barbara, Cambria, Monterey, and up to the wine country (N. Sonoma County, maybe Napa, then back to the coast and and on up.

However, looking at the map, timing and weather, I am concerned that it may be too cold for this itinerary, particularly through the Rockies. Maybe not though - any feedback from you locals about this? I have good cold-weather gear, but don't want to ride on snow or ice.

Alternatively, I could stay south out of TN and spend a few days exploring UT, AZ, Death Valley, and then catch Highway 1 in Southern CA. I could ride this North for a day or 2 or 3, then head back east through Colorado where I also have family.

If I were you and riding cross country at that time of the year I would mostly stay with the southern states (South of I40). With a carefull eye on the sky worms, I would head west and look at Texas hill country, dip down into Big Bend and then up through New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada and DV California.

Being out in the northern US for 3 weeks time in the spring season is bound to deal you some kind of Ice/Snow situation somewhere along the route.

I would save the northern stuff for late June through September.

This is exactly the information I was hoping for thumbsup.gif. I live in Jackson, TN which is on I-40 East of Memphis. Based on the advice above, it sounds like I'll need to stay south of this interstate at least on the westward leg of the trip. My Dad lives and rides in CO Springs. Maybe it will be warm enough so that he and I can ride around his neighborhood for a few days in early May on my way back east. I'll let him pick the directions and roads for us based upon the weather at the time.

Now I need to make a list of "not to be missed" places and roads on this southern route.

Jay

On my first ever motorcycle trip, (I was 24 not too bright)April 78' I went to CO from Chicago. Got to Fort Collins, and it was snowing. When I awoke, I could not see any part of my Honda 750 except the windshield on the Vetter. Yes, it was buried in snow. I sat in a motel for 4 days until the roads were clear enough to head back East. PLAN FOR THE WEATHER thumbsup.gif

So... They make snow chains for RT's, right?? wink.gif Looks like my trip got pushed back, cause I'm not driving there. As far as I can tell, with the exception of getting from the factory to the dealer, and then from the dealer to the first owners house, my RT has never been out of the state. And there is just something wrong about that.

...my RT has never been out of the state. And there is just something wrong about that.

Yes there is. I have kept track of how many states in which I have ridden my RT: TN, NC, VA, GA, AR, MO, MS, KY, OH, and WV. Next year's trip will at least double the list.

Why do I do this? I dunno confused.gif. I suppose for the same reason many of us track our miles.

Jay

This is exactly the information I was hoping for thumbsup.gif. I live in Jackson, TN which is on I-40 East of Memphis. Based on the advice above, it sounds like I'll need to stay south of this interstate at least on the westward leg of the trip. My Dad lives and rides in CO Springs. Maybe it will be warm enough so that he and I can ride around his neighborhood for a few days in early May on my way back east. I'll let him pick the directions and roads for us based upon the weather at the time.

Now I need to make a list of "not to be missed" places and roads on this southern route.

Jay

I would not stay strictly south of I-40 unless you really want to. Certainly S. Rim of grand Canyon is in prime season then. Yes Flagstaff is high and cold, but this is very ridable. You can certainly come up into S. Utah as well, and I would. Prime season for S. Utah. Mesa Verde/Durango is nice then too. You can make a decision on the Million Dollar Highway (hwy 550 North from Durango to Ouray) on the spot, go if weather's nice (most likely) or go South through New Mexico instead (Chaco Canyon, or Chama).

Have a great trip!

IMO Twisties is spot-on. I suggest your plan be fairly loose if possible. Let it all depend on the weather, and movement of cold fronts.

In any case you are going to need some layers of warmth that you can put on or take off. In 2002, I led a group of 70 bikes from Houston to Grand Junction for a rally..(Harley Owners Group Colorado State Rally). It was early June and we left Durango with temperatures in high 20's, went up to the west side of Durango toward Cortez, then north on 145... most beautiful we have seen. Later in the day as we approached Grand Junction... hot! lower 90's for sure.

Stopped onthe side of the road to srtip off the leather and the fleece... Highway patrol stopped to see if we were ok... he laughed about the changes in the weather, time of day and altitude... nice guy.

the point is in this part of the country things can change in a matter of minutes so be prepared.

AdventurePoser

Hi Jay,

I'd stay south and check out the deserts. Riding conditions are great when you want to be traveling. Shoot me a PM for some more specific ideas and destinations.

Cheers,

Steve

Many hear the call, but few actually do it. They talk themselves out of it with, "I get lonely far from home, I don't like riding through big cities, What if I have a breakdown? Too dangerous. Too hot, too cold. My wife won't let me?? I can't get off work that long," and the list goes on. All that stuff might true, but just go do it anyway, because if you feel the pull, but can't work it out, then there will be day when you say "coulda, shoulda, woulda," and then its too late.

I can't imagine living my life without EVER watching the sunset in Monument Valley, fall in New England, feeling the crisp cool air at Wolf Creek Pass, the awesome beauty of Crater Lake, Avenue of the Giants, and the thrill of leaning a thousand different roads from Big Sur to Cape Breton.

I can vividly recall each of my 7, 3 week cross country rides. The things I saw, people I met, and the sense of adventure. Each day on the road, is different than the day before when you ride the backroads and wander. I guy using I-10 for a cross country ride would fail to note that. It is just not the same as SR 96 across Kansas, or leaning some forgotten road high in the Colorado Rockies, miles away from I-70.

So don't worry about all that stuff, just go DO it, everything will work out, and when they put ya in that rocking chair, you can tell em when the suff came around YOU did it.

...just go DO it, everything will work out, and when they put ya in that rocking chair, you can tell em when the suff came around YOU did it.

Wise counsel indeed! And thanks, Steve. You can expect a PM from me.

Jay

I picked a book at used book store a few yrs ago called Against the Wind by Ron Ayres. It's his account as a rider in the 1995 Iron Butt. Chap 5 deals with a San Diego to Ft. Lauderdale route and mentions alot of roads and attractions they used for extra points.There is also a Spokane to San Dieago chapter. Anyway, It's a okay read and might give you some ideas.

Archived