IGNORED

Your Longest Stretch In The Saddle

onmyrt

We've done several 900+ days 2-up, a couple 1000+ and one BB1500.

The key to high miles and alertness for me is the food intake. Protein snacks, no big meals. Constant hydration, nuts, veggies, jerky, power bar, etc. Carol likes hard boiled eggs, but I find them hard to peel and salt on the road. eek.gif

I piece of hard candy like a jolly rancher, or a sharp tasting mint can help with alertness that last hour or two. When that doesn't work it's time for a snooze. I turn off the throttle lock when fatigued, and when I find my lane position and/or speed varies, I know it's time for a break.

900 miles Milwaukee to Cleveland on a r1100s (stock seat)

Cleveland to Milwaukee on a r1100rt (also stock seat)

In about 12 hours I went about 200 to 250 miles between stops for gas and stretching.

Stopped at home to unload and then ran to the store to pick up some beer!

Port Orange Florida to Dallas Texas. 1200 miles. Left at 6:00 a.m and arrived 11:00 p.m. their time. Stopped for breakfast, lunch and gas. It was between 70 and 75 degrees and no rain all the way. grin.gif

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Straight to detention for you!!!!! grin.gifwave.gif

The double entender was just sitting there since the thread was started. I kept thinking Wurty would chime in, but he didn't. So I waited for the thread to get established in the correct direction so as not to derail it.

As for motorcycling, I've done an SS1000 like many here. But coming back from Un5 in Gunnison, I overnighted in Torrey. Then made Torrey to L.A., which is 660 miles, in 7:19. At one stretch I rode three straight tanks of gas during which I never left my Russell saddle, although I did stand up during refueling.

did my IBA certification in 2002 with 7 other guys, we stopped way to much for their smoke breaks, took us over 19 hours to cover the 1100 miles, yeah i know a 1000 saddlesore is only 1000 miles but the guy leading got lost in dawson creek and took us on a detour up the alaska highway for a stretch before we finally got him stopped....

on my ride home from unrally 5 in gunnison 2006, i rode 16.5 hours and covered the 1030 mi to malta montana, where i got shut down because the border was closed. wave.gif

Wow! You guys are hard core. The most I've ever done in a day was 660 on my S back in August on my Nova Scotia trip. It was all back roads though and not much highway.

Um, approximately 10,500 miles in 11 days?

Man, I can't even imagine that kind of riding.

For me, Fort Worth, TX to Los Angeles, CA in March of 2004 on my R1100RT with the amazing Russell Day-Long saddle. Very comfy, too.

My goal that day was Phoenix, AZ, but when I got there, I felt I had the energy to continue. When I got to the border with California, a wall of fatigue clobbered me! I was so tired, but at 2AM there's nothing you can do except to keep going. About 24 hours after I left Fort Worth, I arrived in Los Angeles -- just in time for the morning rush hour dopeslap.gif

1984 Bozeman Montana to Boulder Colorado via Yellowstone on my 1976 CB750F...stock seat...and it rained most of the way across Wyoming.

About 750 miles if I recall correctly. Seemed longer.

Here's my longest stretch on a bike grin.gif

70192904-M.jpg

Steve

No offense Steve (it's probably just the camera angle), but are you really 3'6" tall? tongue.gif

I'm a half Irish leprechaun grin.gif

Steve

Um, approximately 10,500 miles in 11 days?

Wow, thats impossible over here, takes two weeks to get the bike booked in for a 6000 mile service grin.gif

Steve

Left Washington D.C. Monday morning at 9 AM, made Las Vegas on Wednesday at 7 PM. The trip was made on a early 90s K75RT, what a great ride!!!!!

AdventurePoser
Steve,

I remember what you 3 looked like at the end. eek.gifwave.gif

No kidding. grin.gif I am amazed that anyone can ride back to back 1500/24 tours, much less the biannual Iron Butt tour with a bare modicum of safety.

Cheers,

Steve

Iron butt has it listed at 1,536 miles, however, I got off track and it was 1610 miles in 23 hours. This was on a custom seat on my 2001 KRS. The longest stretch for me is ~200 miles before I have to get off and walk a bit.

russell_bynum
Bere Island...LOL. I can't lie on a bike like that to save my life. I could see that skill being very handy.

Sure you could. Just hook your knees over the handlebars and let your feet dangle instead of having them tucked in against the cluster. cool.gif

Bere Island...LOL. I can't lie on a bike like that to save my life. I could see that skill being very handy.

Sure you could. Just hook your knees over the handlebars and let your feet dangle instead of having them tucked in against the cluster. cool.gif

Fine. I'll try it when I get home... thumbsup.gif

1,540 miles in 33 hours, with 1 night in a hotel and 4 stops for sit down meals.

What helped a bunch is that my riding partner and I kept switching bikes (they were very different), and that helped pass the time and change the street points.

russell_bynum

Fine. I'll try it when I get home... thumbsup.gif

I've done it a few times during quick visits to the IronButt motel. It isn't particularly comfortable, but better than lying on the wet grass at a gas station, or in a fire ant bed at some Texas highway rest stop. cool.gif

I've ridden a few 1000+ mile days on the Nighthawk back in the day, but probably the most painful was 550 miles this Spring on the GSXR, most of it up Highway 1 in Northern California. Every part of my body ached. Especially my wrists.

What's the most miles you've spent in the saddle at one stretch?
About 440 miles between fill ups. But, I cheated by using an auxiliary fuel tank.
Silver Surfer/AKAButters

New York to San Diego 2780 mile in 53 hours. Oh, wait, that was in a car when I was 18 with tag teaming with the GF. Aside from three blowouts (tires back then hated 85+) not a bad trip,

Longest on a bike was about 850. I still don't think 6-800 mile days are any big deal, I just prefer a slower pace with lots of breaks to check things out. Nowadays, 100 mile or shorter stretches with some coffee, socializing, or just doing the tourista thing in between works well for me.

I rode 10 hour shifts, four days a week for 9 years. Average distance traveled in 10 hours...120 miles.

Oh man, I feel for you, but that's funny! lmao.gif

I rode from Cedar Falls, IA to Lakewood, CO...800 miles. Took about 14.5 hrs. Had some vodka in the freezer waiting for me when I got home. smile.gif

SEATTLE_RIDER

1,313 miles in about 21 hours. Seattle to my son's home in Beverly Hills, CA. A couple detours added about 180 miles to the usual 1100+ mile trip. This was on my R1150RT. Haven't done it yet on the R12GSA............

923 miles from Atlanta to Wisconsin. 4 gas stops. 13 hours. Top speed was .....a little faster than I care to share with the wife who visits the forum from time to time.

Carol likes hard boiled eggs, but I find them hard to peel and salt on the road. eek.gif

That statememt made me bust out laughing lmao.giflmao.gif Thanks....

923 miles from Atlanta to Wisconsin. 4 gas stops. 13 hours. Top speed was .....a little faster than I care to share with the wife who visits the forum from time to time.

So, you're already busted. You might as well give us the facts. wave.gif

910 miles in 11.5 hours. My parents house in Pinetop Arizona to my front door in San Jose CA on an R1150RT. Mostly slabbing it on the highways and trying to maintain 100mph. I got behind a BMW 740IL on H58 going west out of Barstow and had a hard time keeping up with him. I had it pinned and he was hitting approximately 130mph or more passing trucks. I would lose him and then catch up again when he would get stuck behind one.

The last three hours I was having a hard time concentrating.

Phew!

Cheers!

988 miles from Grand Jct. Colorado to Novato, CA following this year's Spring Torrey. It was on my 04 RT with a Corbin seat, highway pegs, XM Satellite radio and a V-1 radar. All made the trip back doable stopping only for gas between 225-250 miles. I'll be honest though and tell you I was ready to get off the bike when I arrived home and wasn't even tempted to go the extra 12 miles for an even 1000.

Have fun and be safe,

Barry

I'm preparing to do my first SS1000. blush.gifgrin.gifcrazy.gif

Oklahoma City to Galveston & back.

I'll be on my trusty '06 RT with a Corbin saddle supporting my posterior.

Update:

I did complete my first SS1000. clap.gif

Saturday, November 3rd.

Oklahoma City to Galveston & back.

1027 miles in 17 hours 20 minutes.

The ride turned out to be much easier than I anticipated. grin.gif

I took the advice of George Brown and started out very early, 1:45am.

That way I got the dark hours behind me, while I was fresh,

and didn't have to struggle through it when I'd be tired.

Just happened to hit Galveston on 'Lone Star Rally' weekend.

An estimated 500,000 bikes made for a spectacular experience.

Stopped at the Love's in Fairfield TX on my way back at around 3:30pm and drank a '5-Hour ENERGY' drink.

Holy Crap!!!!!!!!!

That stuff is like 'God Juice'. blush.gifgrin.gifthumbsup.gif

I could have easily ridden the last 310 miles non-stop if I hadn't been wearing my dark Oakley's.

I knew that as I neared the end, the sun was going to fade and I'd have to change into my clear glasses,

so I made a precautionary stop in Ardmore Oklahoma.

All said, it was a ride I'll never forget.

Great weather, a great route, and an overall great day.

Corbin, Thank You. thumbsup.gif

George Brown, Thank You. thumbsup.gif

Stopped at the Love's in Fairfield TX on my way back at around 3:30pm and drank a '5-Hour ENERGY' drink.

Holy Crap!!!!!!!!!

That stuff is like 'God Juice'. blush.gifgrin.gifthumbsup.gif

Don't tell the IBA that; they get a bit 'itchy' about people using caffeine, and other stimulants during certification rides tongue.gif

Hey, didn't Michael Jackson call some of the beverages he handed out to the kids "God Juice", .... no, wait, that was "Jesus Juice" tongue.gifgrin.gif

What's the most miles you've spent in the saddle at one stretch?

There are a couple of ways to interpret your question, so I'll give you more information than you're asking for, I'm sure--

I've ridden 1,000-plus miles in 24 hours on four or five occasions. These totally unofficial, unsanctioned, unverified SS1000s occurred not because I felt compelled to prove anything, but because I had limited time and wanted to be somewhere.

Of those 1000 in 24 rides, the longest were my rides to and from Gunnison, CO last year on my R1200ST(just under 1200 miles each way). On the way there, I stopped at a hotel and got five hours of very deep sleep. On the way back, I went more or less straight through, stopping only for food and fuel, and did the trip in about 18 hours. I can tell you, without question, it's a lot easier to do 1,000 miles in 24 hours if you allow yourself reasonable time to sleep.

As far as the longest amount of time I've ridden non-stop, I can't say exactly. However, I'm know I've done 300-plus mile stretches both on my R1100RT and on my ST1100. It's okay to do one stretch of that length, but if you start stringing them together they do exact a toll on your body and your spirit.

I took the advice of George Brown and started out very early, 1:45am.

That way I got the dark hours behind me, while I was fresh,

and didn't have to struggle through it when I'd be tired.

I'll take credit for passing it on to Michael but the idea came to me from '99 IB Rally winner George Barnes.

1550 miles is 22 hours. Indio California to Santa Fe Texas (South of Houston) 4 years ago. My starter died during a Christmas return ride and I could not shut the motor down. Airheads do not push start well in cold December weather and it was 17 degrees in the night desert. Aerostich heated liner worked well!!! dopeslap.gif

Best I've done was a couple of 600 mile days on a Sportster. Dad had bypass surgery, so I rode down the day before, then rode back the day after. I had to stop for fuel every 80 miles, so I had plenty of rest breaks along the way. While most folks would not think of a Sporty as a long distance bike, it was pretty darn nice solo, with the way it was set up.

Oh yeah, the first two thirds of the first day was spent in the rain. I only had the first hundred miles with rain on the way back. Good thing it was in the summertime.

On a ZX9R I pushed it to 210miles once in about 3 hours. I went an extra 20 miles futher that I'd like because on I-70 in the middle of nowhere Kansas at night, there's aren't a lot of gas stations. I started slowing to 65 as I had already switched to reserve. I got almost 50mpg crusing on the freeway at 75-80mph. Not bad for a bike that tops out around 170mph.

My longest day is 900 miles in 24 hours from Keokuk, Iowa to Pike's Peak in Colorado Springs on that same ride. All together it was 1900 miles in about 48 hours.

... Aerostich heated liner worked well!!! dopeslap.gif

Which means you also didn't let it drop below four grand at night. Gas stops must have been interesting.

Yes they were. I also have the Luftmeister gallon tanks that replace the battery covers to add another 2 gallons (8.5 total). Pull up buy soda, visit head, gas saddle tanks, main tank, and return to road. Turn on jacket once back up to speed, or when chill wakes you back up! I also hit "frog strangler" rain on hitting Houston city limits, tunnel vision had set in too.

Hope you fared well during fire, my sister lives near Laguna Niguel and saw flames on the next hill.

Your post took me back in time. Back in the late 70's, I did 550 mi on a Sportster in a day and loved it. I always thought that the Sportster was underrated. It got around 55-60 mpg, handled like a much lighter ride and the seat-to-handlebars-to-pegs relationship was near perfect for my 6ft frame. With a custom seat and a great,big 2.2 gallon aftermarket tank it was quite the tourer.

730 mi is the longest day I've put in on my 11RT. However, I'm not a pup anymore.

Dave

Memorial Day weekend (3 days), 1992 from Maple, WI to Monterey, CA on a 750 Kawi Vulcan. First day was 829 miles, second was 778 mi, and third was 715 mi. No windshield, fairing, or radio. You'd be amazed how many times you can sing 'Born to be Wild' to yourself.

milesandmiles

1040 miles in 18 hours, stock saddle. Bought the bike in LA and rode home to Vancouver, WA in a day. The first 12 hours were no prob, some motorcycle isometrics got me through the last 6. Beautiful weather all through CA but Oregon said "take this sucker". I've never had rain come in behind my visor before.

Archived