IGNORED

Your Longest Stretch In The Saddle

onmyrt

I'm preparing to do my first SS1000. blush.gifgrin.gifcrazy.gif

Oklahoma City to Galveston & back.

I'll be on my trusty '06 RT with a Corbin saddle supporting my posterior.

My longest single day ride so far has been 721 miles, and it went pretty well.

The longest single leg I've ridden was about 225 miles.

I was definitely ready for a break at that point.

What's the most miles you've spent in the saddle at one stretch?

1250 miles in one day. On the R1200ST with a STOCK seat!!

Longest single stretch would be approximately 250 miles. Would have gone further but the ST needed gas!! grin.gifgrin.gif

Coming back from the Yukon I did 1,123 miles in one day. On the way up to the Yukon I did 305 miles through the Canadian Rockies on my R1100RT. Got a little nervous about whether or not I would have enough gas to get to the first station in Jasper. Ended up with 1/2 gallon to spare.

All on a modified stock seat which is fairly comfortable since the modification.

russell_bynum

A shade over 1300 miles in about 21 hours, running anywhere from 200-250 miles per tank.

Stock "Comfort" saddle on my R1100RT.

I don't particularly enjoy that sort of "drone along on the freeway for hours on end" riding, but as long as your bike is comfortable, it's really not that difficult.

I've done 800 in a day on the Tuono and could have easily gone farther if necessary.

If you are comfortable on the bike, then it is basically just a matter of sitting there holding the throttle, and keeping your mind alert through the boredom.

Joe Frickin' Friday

During my SS1k back in 2001, I did 750 miles from noon to about 11:30 before stopping for the night; knocked out the remaining 250 the following morning.

My longest single day of riding was from Lousville, CO, to Walcott, IA, a total of 860 miles. Done it twice; not sure I'd do it again. I don't have the stamina to ride repeatedly from tankful to tankful. I generally prefer to ride about 100-125 miles between stops, and all those extra stops add up; the 860 miles took me from about 8 AM until about 10 PM (lost an hour due to changing time zone, so really it was 13 hours).

About 950ish miles in one stretch. (Straight from Rich's Seats in Seattle to Provo, UT - I could never have done that on the stock seat.)

I think my longest tank was 292 miles (and I was REALLY running on fumes.)

1994 R1100RS with a Corbin - 1589 in 21 hrs (BunBurner Gold) and Myrtle Beach, SC to San Diego, CA in 42 hrs (50CC)

2005 R1200RT with a Corbin - Fergus Falls, MN to the Alaska/Yukon boarder and back in 5 1/2 days (5500 miles). My riding partner was on a Buell XB9 with the stock seat!!! thumbsup.gif

Around 820 mi. on a Harley, not super-slab but mostly 2 lane. Did pass thru Tulsa at rush hour on interstate, what an ordeal, missed my turn-off and almost circled on the beltway, till I noticed road signs saying W. rather than E. for quite a while. Went from Grand Island, Neb. to Dumas Ark. Stopped after midnite because I did not think I would find gas in the small towns I was going thru.

1069 miles in a day on an '84 GL1200A - left at 3am, one fire, 3 snow storms, one electrical fault, one rescue attempt, home at 11pm...

On that same bike I once rode over 200 non freeway miles without stopping! Had to go into a hotel parking lot and circle waiting for a light to change but I made it. Guess I've probably done that again on the RT since then but haven't really kept track. Seemed like a big deal at the time.

About 1150 on my RT. Just close enough to home that I didn't want to stop for the night, but far enough that I had to ride longer than I would have preferred.

The longest stretch in the saddle was right at 300 miles. My low fuel light wasn't working at the time, and I just forgot to check. dopeslap.gif

When I finally looked down at the fuel indicator and miles since the last stop, my blood pressure shot up. eek.gif I had to ride a few miles to the nearest station. I fixed the low fuel sending unit when I replaced the fuel filter.

If you are comfortable on the bike, then it is basically just a matter of sitting there holding the throttle, and keeping your mind alert through the boredom.
Yep, for me the biggest challenge was not falling asleep. Was quite a thrill.

1380 miles in 21 hours riding home from the MOA rally in Trenton, Ontario an a K12LT w/80k. Took the long way down I-81, had perfect weather, but had to stop and stretch out on the bike for an hour at the Ga. border, not long after a Waffle House encounter.

My longest day was about 1000 miles in 19 or 20 hours. Carlsbad, NM to Los Angeles, CA. Riding tank to tank isn't for me and isn't necessary for a sadlesore. Besides, running out of gas will really kill your average speed. The key to long distance comfort is not becoming uncomfortable in the first place. Good luck on the trip.

Rocket_Cowboy

My longest stretch that I can think of off hand was the BBG I did in '05, 1515 miles in 23 hours, 43 minutes. I ended up going roughly 1560 miles in 25 hours ... those last few miles getting from West Ft. Worth over to North Plano were rough.

Next longest would have been the return leg from St. Cloud MN to Statesville NC at the end of the Beast In The East this year. I'd need to look up the mileage (wasn't a direct route since I was bonus hunting), but that ended up being about 28 consecutive hours in the saddle.

AdventurePoser

About 1,574 miles in about 23 hours. I cannot recollect what the longest stretch was during that time, but we (Jamie and Stormin' Norman) rode pretty much tank-to-tank with exception of a quick nap break and a bit of dinner.

cheers,

Steve in So Cal

1575 miles in 22.5 hours for my BBG, with 15min. stops, max, for fuel and 'relief' approx. every 220 miles.

It was fun until the last 4 hours, or so; I was definately getting fatigued. Maintaining proper vigilance/mental sharpness after that length of time in the saddle was difficult.

"Warchild" over on the LD board completed a record seven 1500+mi. days in a row earlier this year. I have to hand it to him as I doubt I could do that, but given the level of fatigued I encountered on my ride, I have to wonder just how safe such an attempt really is.

My longest single day ride so far has been 721 miles, and it went pretty well.

I did my one and only SS1000 last month. Before I started, I had a thought in my head similar to that one. In my case it turned out to be a rationalization. I hadn't been preparing myself from an endurance standpoint, and I found that the last ~200 miles was considerably harder than the first 800. I'm glad I finished it, but in retrospect I'm not very happy about how hard I had to push myself mentally to get there, and I'm a bit ashamed of the risks I was taking because my fatigue was impairing my abilities.

AdventurePoser
... but in retrospect I'm not very happy about how hard I had to push myself mentally to get there, and I'm a bit ashamed of the risks I was taking because my fatigue was impairing my abilities.

The ability to realize risk and limitation is what makes you a very good rider, Joel. PS-Happy Birthday!!

Steve, J, and Willie

Two years ago, bought the RT in Alb NM (online ebay auction), flew there via airline ticket,picked up the bike, and drove straight to San Jose CA...I-40 to Hoover Dam, thru Vegas, north thru Nevada, west on 266 to 395 CA, thru Yosemite 120 Tioga Pass, thru Ca central valley...

Can't remember how many miles, but it was 16 hours worth...All on my stock"BMW Comfort seat"..

Slept real good that night.

MB>

I can regularly ride 7-800 miles days. I feel tired at the end but still feel safe. I had no problem doing 1000 in 24 in '06 but I got 5 hours of sleep after the first 700.

Longest stint in the saddle was 350 miles from the GA/FL border to Naples back in June. Luckily it rained several times along the way to refresh and cool me from the heat.

1075 miles, 22 hours, Virginia Beach to New Orleans, La on a BMW 60/6 with a stock seat. Monkey butt became Gorilla butt, which became King Kong butt!

Alan

21 looooooooooooong hours!!! June 03 Northern Washington to Phx...never again!!!! I stopped in Desert Center Ca. to get coffee and pie at 0200 hrs......the last thing I remember was ordering. My cell rang at 0500 hrs and my coffeee and pie was still sitting ther!!! BTW don't ever let anyone tell you that you cannot fall asleep on a m/c... crazy.gif

16 hours Phoenix, AZ to Denver, CO on a K1200S. Two lane roads from Flagstaff, AZ. I really want to pull off one of these SS1000 rides, but I don't think I can do it on the S. After this one day trip that was close to 800 miles, I am not sure my knees will take it.

Trying to convince the better half I need an LT as well...but she is not buying it. confused.gif

Calvin  (no socks)

1250 on K12s once from Kerrville TX to Jax Fla... and once from Red rock/north Austin TX to Jax Fla...18 hours... stock seat...up for work at dawn next day...rode to work...

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV

From Chicago to Rawlins, WY--1,085miles in about 17hrs. But that was back in 2004, when I was younger--only 69; that was my 2nd SS1000, and I went on the next morning to Ely, NV for a total of 1,610 in about 32 hrs and my BunBurner1500.

I was 26 and she was 22. We'd both had a little too much to drink, and it was a balmy night in Honolulu, so we left the cabana windows open much to the neighbors' chagrin, when. . .oh, wait. . .uh, nevermind.

I was 26 and she was 22. We'd both had a little too much to drink, and it was a balmy night in Honolulu, so we left the cabana windows open much to the neighbors' chagrin, when. . .oh, wait. . .uh, nevermind.

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Straight to detention for you!!!!! grin.gifwave.gif

Yampa Colorado to Charlotte North Carolina. My odometer says 1806 miles map quest says 1725. 24 hours 20 minutes on a 94 R1100RS. I'd have liked to have had a russel saddle but this bike had a stock seat and stock gas tank.

My longest stretch mile-wise was from Beatty, NV to Bakersfield via Olancha. That was 252 miles.

My longest stretch time-wise was this past weekend. I left the cafe in Big Sur riding PCH north and didn't get off the bike until Pt. Reyes Station four hours later; about 190 miles, all on PCH. I couldn't help it. The ride was so great I didn't want to stop.

Otherwise, my longest day (24 hours): 1,186 miles.

My longest 36 hours: 1,628 miles.

My longest 48 hours: 2,081 miles.

My longest weekend: 2,533 miles (Friday afternoon at 2 pm through Monday morning at 1 am, 59 hours)

I haven't done a BBG. Requires too much Interstate, but I may do it someday nonetheless. After all, my disease is progressing.

grin.gif

August 1977 on a 1976 Honda CB750F from Beaumont, TX to Jekyll Island, GA. At the time the speed limit was 55 mph, 853 miles. Stock seat. June 2007 on the R12ST, rode to Charlotte, did the SS1000 at about 1045 miles, rode home about 100 miles each way.

stubblejumper

1250 miles in one day. On the R1200ST with a STOCK seat!!

That sounds painful.My longest day was 17 hours with breaks for fuel,food and a few cool drinks.The distance covered was about 900 miles,but it was through the mountains and included traveling through the highway to the sun in Glacier park,where we couldn't travel very fast due to the traffic.

I almost hate to join the p*n*s-length fest, but - since it cost me close to $XX,XXX and all I got out of it was a hat that one of the dogs chewed up . . .

Um, approximately 10,500 miles in 11 days?

This past July

R1150RT Stock Seat

270 Miles one stretch

980 miles for the day. If it hadn't been for the Mojave Desert and 114 F Temps, I might have made 1000 in about 18 hours.

thumbsup.gif

1380 miles in one day on the R1100-RT, Russell day-long seat.

1200 miles in one day on the R1200-RT, stock "high" seat.

400+ mile legs multiple times on the R1200-RT.

1200+ miles in about 19 hrs. would be my longest day. The longest stretch would be about 450 miles or so since I didn't get off the bike at the first gas stop.

650 miles from El Paseo back to Tampa a few times. Usually, I try for 400-450 miles a day. But I have done 8,000 miles in 19 days (this past summer from FL to the Canadian Rockies). Slow and steady wins the race. grin.gif

Archived