IGNORED

What should I do? Final Drive still works!

Bheckel169

After reading all the recent posts concerning final drive issues, I can't sleep at night. Sometimes, in the middle of a deep sleep, I bolt upright in my bed, run downstairs only in my skivvies and turn the lights on in my garage and inspect the rear wheel movement for the first signs of final drive failure. I've even thought of buying a second 1200 RT just in case the first one fails on me. I keep thinking on every ride I go on that it's just a matter of time and one day while carving a tight corner on the road around Lake Lure, NC., it's going to happen; this time though, I'm going to be the one who will be thrown off the bike when it freezes in mid-curve and locks up!

Is there anything I can do to resolve this anxiety I'm having over the inevitable FD problem we all hear about? Your responses will be appreciated and of course I will treat them with the respect they are due.

Bruce

I would not worry about it. That is bad part of the internet. Great source of information, put then the fear of to much of information.

When I went to Alaska and back, part of the trip that I hated was the fear of all the stuff I read on the internet that would break on my LT. Nothing happened and I believe the odds of something happen are small, which I believe is the same case as yours.

russell_bynum

If you're serious...

1. Before every ride, check the rear wheel for play.

2. Get a good roadside assistance plan. I like the KOA's plan because it gives you unlimited towing.

3. If you have the option and you plan on keeping your bike for a while, purchase an extended warranty. Ideally, purchase one that is transferable, so that if you sell the bike, the extended warranty is something you can charge more for.

4. Start shopping for a used final drive off a wrecked bike. When you are on a long tour, store it in a box, ready to ship, with a friend who isn't riding with you.

If you do those things, then you are pretty well covered. Worst case would be a failure out on the road and the closest dealer can't get a replacement FD for a while because they are backordered. In that case, the spare FD you bought can be shipped overnight and you'll be back on the road quickly.

I've never heard of a final drive suddenly locking up with no prior warning. I've heard of them locking up, but there was plenty of warning beforehand. Most pending failures can be detected by checking the rear wheel for play. If you do that and find play at home, no biggie...the bike is towed to the dealership and the FD is replaced under warranty. If you find play out on the road, then you can have your spare shipped to you.

If you don't wind up needing the spare you bought....you bought it used, so so can sell it for about what you paid for it.

That's all worst case stuff.

If it were me, I'd just ride it, and check for play before each ride.

There's only one thing you can do, sell it.

Take the money and buy a R100R or GS or RT, as long as it is an old Airhead. I think $5,000 - $6,000 should get you a good one. Then another $5,000 to rebuild most of it.

Yea, thats the ticket.

After reading all the recent posts concerning final drive issues, I can't sleep at night. Sometimes, in the middle of a deep sleep, I bolt upright in my bed, run downstairs only in my skivvies and turn the lights on in my garage and inspect the rear wheel movement for the first signs of final drive failure. I've even thought of buying a second 1200 RT just in case the first one fails on me. I keep thinking on every ride I go on that it's just a matter of time and one day while carving a tight corner on the road around Lake Lure, NC., it's going to happen; this time though, I'm going to be the one who will be thrown off the bike when it freezes in mid-curve and locks up!

Is there anything I can do to resolve this anxiety I'm having over the inevitable FD problem we all hear about? Your responses will be appreciated and of course I will treat them with the respect they are due.

Bruce

Just think about all the mechanical "what if's" a chopper pilot has to deal with every time he "grabs the stick"

Relax! and enjoy your bike.

Hi,

Well at least you will be surrounded by beautiful scenery as you are flying towards the Lake!

For those that have never been there,rent "Last of the Mohicans"with Daniel Day Lewis.It was filmed in and around the area."Dirty Dancing"was filmed there too.

If you have not done it,get the FD fluid changed.It's now required at 600 miles on the new bikes and certainly won't hurt on the pre 07's,might be suprised at the fluid that comes out.

Number of folks are planning on 12-15K FD fluid changes now.

JR356

Sometimes, in the middle of a deep sleep, I bolt upright in my bed, run downstairs only in my skivvies and turn the lights on in my garage and inspect the rear wheel movement for the first signs of final drive failure. ... Is there anything I can do

Only sometimes?? Dontcha think your inspection schedule is a little irregular?

I'd suggest setting a clock to chime every hour on the hour. When you hear that chime, run to the garage and grab that wheel and check it out. Any inspection regime less regular than that should send shivers down your spine -- who knows what chances you might be taking!

Yeh, I have a good friend who is a pilot and decided to build his own helicopter. Pancaked on the first landing and left it for scrap where it landed.

Some consolation.

Bruce

Yeh, I have a good friend who is a pilot and decided to build his own helicopter. Pancaked on the first landing and left it for scrap where it landed.

Some consolation.

Bruce

Sounds like he got off lucky!

russell_bynum
I have the feeling Bheckel169 has his tongue deeply buried in his cheek.

That's why I started my reply with "If you're serious..."

thumbsup.gif

When I went to Alaska and back, part of the trip that I hated was the fear of all the stuff I read on the internet that would break on my LT. Nothing happened and I believe the odds of something happen are small, which I believe is the same case as yours.

I went to Alaska this summer as well, and my R1150RA didn't chew up its input shaft splines. Neither did my friend's R1200RT grind up its final drive. However, the R1200GS belonging to the third member of our group did begin seeping oil out of the final drive in Whitehorse. Its owner didn't exactly hate the next three days, but he was concerned. The bike made it to Anchorage where The Motorcycle Shop replaced the entire final drive under warranty. Most bikes don't have a problem. A few do. There seems to be a difference of opinion as to what is an acceptable number of failures for such a basic and relatively low-tech assembly that has been around in one form or another for, oh, the last 80 years or so.

Peter '73 R75/5, '04 R1150RA

I'd start worrying about splines or servo brakes or Avon Storm front tires or what crankase oil to use or what gear oil to use or if your gear will protect you in time of need or ........ That should give you enough to worry about that final drive issues should no longer keep you awake at night (even if everything else does tongue.gif )

Install a dial indicator to contact the rim portion of your rear wheel while you're riding and wire it to a digital uplink transmitter via RF to send a signal to your cell phone which will of course ring and warn you when she starts to waver more than .000000000001".

When the 125db alarm goes off SLAM on the brakes (assuming your inadequate Servo assisted linked brakes are up to the task) and once on the side of the road, inspect more thoroghly. Grab the wheel at opposite ends every 12.75 degrees and shake violently for 45 minutes to verify no play.

Whatever you do, never exceed 15 minutes total time in the saddle without slamming on the inadequate servo brakes and checking for free play for at least 45 minutes. That's because you can't trust the mobile uplink transmitter and need to read the dial indicator with your eyes.

I've had it with these unreliable BMW FD's. Only 125k on my R90s, 165k on my R75/5 without an issue. And 24k on my RT. Should be failing any day now.

rpg

Doggone German crap.

I've solved the problem. I bought the new 08 Kawi Versys and I'm having a great time on it. It is just a fun all around standard with great ergos. So, I tour on my 1200 RT and no, I don't have any worries about the FD and then for the curves, of which there are many in western North Carolina, I take out my little 650cc Versys for good fun and a change in performance. The best of both world's!

Bruce

I've solved the problem. I bought the new 08 Kawi Versys and I'm having a great time on it. It is just a fun all around standard with great ergos. So, I tour on my 1200 RT and no, I don't have any worries about the FD and then for the curves, of which there are many in western North Carolina, I take out my little 650cc Versys for good fun and a change in performance. The best of both world's!

Bruce

I've yet to read a negative review of the Versys and according to one of the local dealers here, it's currently their best seller.

Honda would be doing good to get off its ass and bring the Transalp to the US before Kawi owns this segment.

I've yet to read a negative review of the Versys
The one I saw in Motorcyclist seemed slightly negative (calling it "blah" I think). However, yes, most owners really like 'em.
russell_bynum
I've yet to read a negative review of the Versys
The one I saw in Motorcyclist seemed slightly negative (calling it "blah" I think). However, yes, most owners really like 'em.

I'd never heard of it, but looking at the Kawi website, it looks like a naked Ninja 650R with fairly substantially upgraded suspension. Sounds like a fun package!

The guy at Motorcyclist must have been bought off! smile.gif

I've only got 500 miles on it but it's starting to loosen up and man, does this bike have some thrust! I've been toying with the presets on suspension and have the back nailed but still haven't quite got the damping down on the front. Guess I'll have to go out again today and do some more testing.

Bruce

Bruce

Thanks a lot. I enough phobias without adding motorcycle break down to that list.... wink.gif

Bruce

yeah, buy a harley.

Archived