IGNORED

FAIRING SCREWS

richard mauro

R1100RT uses 3 mm allen head machine screws of three different lengths: what an '03 R1150RT uses, I don't know. I bet you can tell if it's a regular allen head (perfect hexagon) vs a torq (sort of a star shaped interior where lines forming star curve inward).

Wooster with plain/regular allen headed fairing screws (is this the 'hex head' I've heard so much about ?)

As far as fairing screws are concerned, after they have been removed once, the paint gets chipped.

So I used a wire brush and turned them into a brushed stainless steel finish. Much nicer now.......

I've always called them Allen heads, but more commonly in the USA they are called Hex heads I believe.

Put a plastic washer under them and they won't chip your fairings paint.

I've always called them Allen heads, but more commonly in the USA they are called Hex heads I believe.

Put a plastic washer under them and they won't chip your fairings paint.

"Button Head Socket Cap Screw"

you can get a lifetime supply of stainless ones at McMaster You need both lengths. Or just wire brush the ones you already have.

Pack 92095A212 Metric 18-8 SS Button Head Socket Cap Screw M5 Size, 16 mm Length, .8 mm Pitch, Packs of 100

$13.34 $13.34 today

Pack 92095A214 Metric 18-8 SS Button Head Socket Cap Screw M5 Size, 20 mm Length, .8 mm Pitch, Packs of 50

$7.81 $7.81 today

I have not tried these yet, or measured mine to see how close they are or which one matches best. Their descriptions sound pretty close. They are also from McMaster

95210A130

Metric Tapped-Hole U-Style Clip-on Nut M5 X 0.8 mm Pitch, for .8 - 4 mm Thick Panel

In stock at $14.88 per Pack of 50

95210A120

Metric Tapped-Hole U-Style Clip-on Nut M5 X 0.8 mm Pitch, for .6 - 3.8 mm Thick Panel

In stock at $5.61 per Pack of 25

95210A130

Metric Tapped-Hole U-Style Clip-on Nut M5 X 0.8 mm Pitch, for .8 - 4 mm Thick Panel

In stock at $14.88 per Pack of 50

95210A120

Metric Tapped-Hole U-Style Clip-on Nut M5 X 0.8 mm Pitch, for .6 - 3.8 mm Thick Panel

In stock at $5.61 per Pack of 25

That's particularly useful after road testing with the plastic off. Hope these work!

Archived