IGNORED

ABS sensor rubbing after replacing fork seal

phod

Changed my right fork seal. Now the ABS senser is rubbing. I have tried everything. What made the spacing change. Is this normal? Should I just get some more spacers to put in there?

With the bike on the centerstand, loosen the axle and pinch bolts. Press down on the hanlebars once or twice so the fork tubes can realign themselves. Retighten the axle and then the pinch bolts.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Changed my right fork seal. Now the ABS senser is rubbing. I have tried everything. What made the spacing change. Is this normal? Should I just get some more spacers to put in there?

Did you remove the wheel to do the fork seal? If so, did you get things on the axle again in the right order? From left to right: speedo pickup, wheel, spacer?

speedo pickup

I was wondering if he got the speedo pickup properly lined up with the fork. The is a small protrusion on the left fork that is supposed to fit between two alignment ridges on the speedo pickup, if I recall correctly. Failing to do this could allow the wheel to slide a bit to the left and allow the tone ring to possibly rub on the sensor.

Stan

I was wondering if he got the speedo pickup properly lined up with the fork.

I went out and looked at my bike. I don't think this would cause the tone ring to rub on the ABS sensor.

It would seem to me that the only way this will happen is if the relative lengths of the two forks has changed. That would cause the axle to be inclined at a different angle which would cause the wheel to be tilted differently than it was before the seal was replaced.

If the BMW procedure for reassembly was followed correctly, and the axle was easy to insert, then I would just reshim the sensor.

Stan

Patrick:

I am wondering if you might have a bent front axle. Did you try rotating the front axle and see if it changes the space from the ABS sensor?

Also, if you re-shim the ABS sensor and everything works, please tell me if you encounter a change in alignment. In other words, does the bike pull right or left after your first road test?

Tipover Bob

Have you squeezed the front brake lever so the pads have moved back into normal position?

Just curious if things are very mis- aligned or a little. wink.gif

yep. I had to rig it farther away with some washers. Now the ABS sensor is a little too far but works. I will get the proper spacers tomorrow. I would say it was about 3 mm out of whack. I have ridden the bike and it tracks normal. My next step as Tipover Bob suggested is to check the axel. The day prior I had changed the front tire and everything was perfect. When I changed the fork seal I competely removed the right fork and wheel. When reinstalling everything was torqued to proper specs.

Patrick

Archived