IGNORED

Questions About a trip to Banff Canada

texasaggie97

Would some of you please give me advice on when to ride to Banff this summer. I have two months off May and June and I wanted to make a trip up north. I would leave from Malibu, Ca and would like to ride up into Canada. What do I need? Do I need a passport? Is it to cold to camp? Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Hi Texasaggie97 !

Great you're coming to the great white north !

Banff should be fairly normal temps in June. I'm no expert, but i'd recommend bringing your insulating vests and stuff as the nights come quick, and the temps drop. If you run into any kind of weather, it can drop temps quick, and get pretty wet if rain's in the forecast. (They DO get about 10 feet of snow in the winter). It IS the mountains, so it's a bit of a lottery on the weather, so bring what you need to stay warm and happy..

I found this on the Canada Border Services website.. here

quote.."If you are a citizen of the United States, you do not need a passport to enter Canada; however, you should carry proof of your citizenship such as a birth certificate, certificate of citizenship or naturalization or a Certificate of Indian Status, as well as a photo ID. If you are a permanent resident of the United States, you must bring your permanent resident card (i.e. green card) with you."

If you're camping, make sure you're aware of the bear population smile.gif There's quite a few black bears, and the odd grizzly dependent on where you're staying. And watch out too for mountain sheep/goats and other assorted widelife around Banff proper. I nearly hit a moose this summer on the way to Calgary. Lotsa wildlife right in town in Banff.

Have a safe and fun trip.. it's quite pretty there !

scb

Hey Todd

Been there a few times. Last year on July 28th it was over 100 degrees. Two years earlier in late August we had freezin rain. May could be iffy, June would be better. I think your gonna want a passport by next summer. Apply now!!!!!!

Banff ain't much to see, north on the Ice Field Parkway toward Jasper is the best part. The "Castle" in Banff is neat, but the rest of it is kinda touristy, same as everywhere else. Lake louise, Bow lake, Jasper park, and the ride between em is what it's all about.

PM me if you have any more questions.

BTW....Glad you did alright durin the fires.

Whip

Replace Fran now!!!!!!!!

Would some of you please give me advice on when to ride to Banff this summer. I have two months off May and June and I wanted to make a trip up north. I would leave from Malibu, Ca and would like to ride up into Canada. What do I need? Do I need a passport? Is it to cold to camp? Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

I live in Calgary and the weather in May is a crap shoot. June would be a better choice. I need a passport to go to the states next year via ground transport, this year it only applied to air travel. I'm not sure what the rules are for the US going into Canada. There are a couple ideas when traveling up, you can go through the "going to the sun road" here or go through Sweetgrass Montana and stop at Writing on Stone Provincial park here. Or travel up the coast then once you are in Canada go east via highway 3, awsome ride! thumbsup.gif

Keith

I live in Calgary as well and ride a lot to and from the mountains around Banff. I would avoid May if you can because you have a very good chance of snow in the passes. There are paved roads such as the Highwood pass (southeast of Banff in Kananaskis that are closed due to snow until mid June. Expect mornings just above freezing with pleasant daytime temperatures. However, just as in Colorado mountains tend to create their own weather. I would want water proof warm clothing and working heated grips.

Guys thank you very much. I might write some of you PMs when the time gets a little closer if you do not mind. I just wanted to know if that time of year was good and it comforting to know that a few of you have made that ride. Thanks for your advice and know that I will be write anyone that has knowledge in this area. Why learn on my own when so many of you have the inside story. Thanks for your time

Whip thanks for the concern and its good to know you weathered the floods. What does the aquifer crew have to do now that they cannot fine everyone for watering their lawns. Have a great week

Banff, did this past June. Glad had my heated vest and rainsuit as it rained. I enjoyed it, very beautiful. Just prepare for the cold and for the wet.

We rode the IceFields Parkway in Sep which was a crap shoot weather wise as well, but we got lucky and only encountered cold rain, no snow. We stayed at Num-ti-Jah lodge which is in the middle of nowhere but pretty cool, note the temp when we left in the morning...pack heated gear, rain gear and enjoy! I vote for June as well.

Pics of IceFields Parkway Ride

Athabasca Glacier

110795077-L.jpg

Bow Lake at Num-Ti-Jah Lodge

110795809-L.jpg

the Lodge

110795741-L.jpg

Hiking up Athabasca Glacier

110779802-L.jpg

Athabasca Glacier

IceFields Parkway info

The Columbia Icefields flow into three different oceans...

From its melting snows and many glaciers, waters flow across North America to the Atlantic, the Arctic and the Pacific oceans.

Todd,

First post on this forum, but I wanted to also give a piece of advise on Alberta. We rode from Nashville TN last summer, first week in August. I'll have to say the weather was all over the board. I had heated gear on more tham once and had 103F leaving Glacier in Montana headed south. You may or may not need it, but I got a Canadian Insurance card from my agent. No cost, but provided proof of insurance in Canada. We crossed the border going up in Roosville MT and coming back we crossed on Canada 2 that turns into US 89. Absolutely no problems crossing. An awesome ride. Don't miss the Icefields Parkway or Going To The Sun in Glacier Park. Have a Great Trip.

Archived