IGNORED

Need New shocks for my 07 R12RT--Help!

bobbybob

OEM shocks (not ESA) starting to wallow and pogo some--9k miles--not real bad but why delay the inevitable? What are my options? Ohlins are very strongly recommended; Wilbers--what is Hyperpro--seems to have replaced them?? Where to get price quotes on them? Are there different models with more or less damping control-ability? Anyone done the replacement themselves--any "gotchas" in the job I should know about? I apreciate any and all advice on the subject! tongue.gif

I installed Ohlins on my 06 RT myself. I bought them from http://www.hardracing.com.

The only real trick is jacking up the bike enough and extending the forks to fit the front shock in -- the Ohlins is a lot fatter than the stock shock. I used a car jack and some heavy wood blocks. It was a pretty easy install in one afternoon.

Here's a good How-To by Limecreek/Gregory Clark:

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/709286/

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=hex&Number=709591

After the Ohlins install, you won't recognize it as the same bike! thumbsup.gif

I understand that Wilbers has replacement shocks that maintain the ESA function, but you have to send in your old shocks for them to transplant the mounting eyes, so you'd be bikeless for awhile.

I understand that Wilbers has replacement shocks that maintain the ESA function, but you have to send in your old shocks for them to transplant the mounting eyes, so you'd be bikeless for awhile.
I think that is Works Performance, not Wilbers, unless Wilbers is now doing it as well.
I think that is Works Performance, not Wilbers, unless Wilbers is now doing it as well.

Right, it's Works, not Wilbers.

DirkatWilbers

Hello Bobbybob,

Wilbers of course is available for our American customers however no longer over Mr. Klaus Huenecke, I'm afraid.

In addition we cannot yet offer a shock that replaces the ESA shock of your BMW in its complete function but we offer our Wilbers shocks whose preload can be manually adjusted over a manual hand wheel… You’ll have pinch off the ESA line and it cannot be used to adjust our shocks!

There are a couple of reasons why we are not convinced of the ESA shock technology yet and do not offer our ESA shock version (although we are developing a ESA suspension system for cars)…

First, with a car, it makes sense to adjust your suspension with a push of a button while with motorcycles there is not reason why you should not do it manually (as the tuning knob is always reachable)… Second, the ESA shocks are much heavier that normal. This extra weight in such a critical area changes riding behaviour and handling! Third, new electrical, technical gimmicks and gizmos are just new possible sources of errors!

So, should you be interested in Wilbers shocks for your BMW you can order them without any problems at one of our partners (find their addresses here: www.motorcycle-suspension.com) or even directly here in Germany!

You should nonetheless keep your OEM shock even if you switch to Wilbers as those BMW guys will need to have to plug the ESA-line into their service computers during servicing… So: Do not dump the OEM shocks (self evidently it is wise to also keep them just in case you want to sell your motorcycle with the original shocks on it)!

In case of any questions, please contact me by email (kontaktusa@wilbers.de) because I won’t be around that often to check PMs or forum answers…

I hope to have been of any help,

Cheers,

Dirk

These are Wilbers' "partners" in the US according to the site Dirk mentioned in his post above:

"Those service-points are responsible for maintenance, servicing and guarantee works for our products as well as they can sell our products in their own shops. Thus the customer will always know where to turn to in questions of troubleshooting".

MAX BMW Motorcycles

www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com

866 MAX BMW1

MAX BMW Motorcycles

209 Lafayette Rd

North Hampton NH 03862

MAX BMW Motorcycles

845 Hoosick RD

Brunswick NY 12180

MAX BMW Motorcycles

Opening this Winter

Northern New Jersey

Beemershop

34 Janis Way, Suite E

Scotts Valley CA 95066

USA

Email: service@beemershop.com

Phone: +001-831-438-1100

Nick´s BMW Motorcycles

2246 Mid Valley Drive

Depere WI 54115

USA

Email: service@nicksbmw.com

Phone: +001-920-347-9144

When I try to go to the Wilbers website, I get Hyper-Pro shocks. What gives? Wilbers no longer avail. in the US?

Some dealers have picked up Wilbers after Klaus switched to Hyper-Pro.

I can't speak for Hyper-Pro shocks but they are well known for their steering dampers and I CAN speak for Klaus. He is knowledgeable and very fair to do business with.

I would look into Hyper-Pro just for those reasons.

After two sets of Wilbers (a pair for my'97 RT and a pair for the wifes'97 R11RS) I called Klaus to get a pair for the wife's '07 RT. After discussing my options, I bought a pair of Hyper-Pro's. After 10k, she is happy with them. Which makes me happy.

On one of the K-bike sites, there is a group buy being formed for the Hyper-Pros. I don't know if they are offering non-K bikes in on the deal. A little googling should help.

Best,

After two sets of Wilbers (a pair for my'97 RT and a pair for the wifes'97 R11RS) I called Klaus to get a pair for the wife's '07 RT. After discussing my options, I bought a pair of Hyper-Pro's. After 10k, she is happy with them. Which makes me happy.

On one of the K-bike sites, there is a group buy being formed for the Hyper-Pros. I don't know if they are offering non-K bikes in on the deal. A little googling should help.

Best,

Rob, does your wifes "Hyper-pro" bike handle as well as your "Wilber" bike? What do the Hyper-pros run $$ for a R1200RT?

Rob, does your wifes "Hyper-pro" bike handle as well as your "Wilber" bike? What do the Hyper-pros run $$ for a R1200RT?

Sorta hard to compare a '96 R11RS and a '07 R12RT but from what I have ridden, the two makes are similar. I would put them in the same catagory as the Wilbers/Ohlins.

As for cost, we got them shortened without the remotes for $1100ish.

Hth,

If you don't want to spend money, Your '07 RT shocks are under warranty. Can't quite remember, but the warranty is good for around 20+k, check with your dealer, you shoud get free replacement.

If your are set on high performance shocks, get the OEM's replaced firts so you will have a fresh set as backup or to sell.

If you don't want to spend money, Your '07 RT shocks are under warranty. Can't quite remember, but the warranty is good for around 20+k, check with your dealer, you shoud get free replacement.

If your are set on high performance shocks, get the OEM's replaced firts so you will have a fresh set as backup or to sell.

+1 on that thought. thumbsup.gif

Fran

I've always understood that shocks are considered a wear item and unless they are puking fluid, you're otta luck.

Has NA thinking changed?

Best,

Archived